Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

26 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, it would be good if there was a model of the experimental 47601/901. Fred

No manufacturer have ever done that …limited number, colours and geographical area may scupper the idea

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, owentherail said:

Not seen SF grey with reporting numbers either 

I just stuck the spare set of RN's from the AS Deltic over the dominoes to match the Deltic on engine change over.  Once I get the body off to fit crew I will see if I can remove dominoes from inside like the Deltic.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Fredo said:

Hi, it would be good if there was a model of the experimental 47601/901. Fred

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

No manufacturer have ever done that …limited number, colours and geographical area may scupper the idea

47901 is a perfect candidate for some actual modelling, whether your start point is a £35 Lima model or a £200 Bachmann one

• Like 3

Could I just point out the ridiculous number of one-off loco's that Heljan have produced and sold like hot cakes so a 47901 is going to have no problems ............................ there's a lot of us out here who couldn't give a monkeys about sticking rigidly to era's / operating areas - I leave that to those that are good at it and enjoy them at exhibitions - like the Mostyn lads 👍

• Agree 3

I try and play devils advocate and view it from the manufacturer side to see what is likely .

What winds me up is , “ it’d sell like hot cakes……loads of people want one “ etc…etc….

unless between 500 and 3000 people have told you they want one , it’s by far than certain .

Sone things I thought would be popular haven’t been and vice versa. Thought the attractive RFd European livery would shift quick but it didn’t 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, rob D2 said:

So was the class 80 / 18100, its still been done.

47901 is an enigma to many.

People like enigmas.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I think there's space for celebrity locos but only ones that don't need a heavily revised tooling. Me I just like some nice 47/7s in NSE :)

We just got a class 48.

Whilst there maybe more than 1, (5)

how many people would really buy more than 1 ?

Unless your at Tinsley on a sunday in the early 1960’s you probably never saw more than 1 together. Chances are most wouldnt have recognised it even if they saw it, as theyd be looking for chimneys.

And you'd need to be in your 60’s to remember a 48, as a 48 (and most likely a steam fan).

47901 is an openday queen of the 1980’s/90’s, and whilst admittedly it mostly slept at Westbury.. its one people regularly looked for.. and in living memory of diesel fans. My personal feeling has always been 47901 would be more popular than a 48.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

I remember as a teenager reading an article in RM on 901 and taking upon myself to modify an old Hornby 47 to her.  I was somewhat lacking in finesse with my technique for removing unneeded detail (including thick lines on sides) but managed to achieve something passable for 901. Sadly it all went wrong at the paint stage and heart was lost with the shell still languishing in a box somewhere i suspect….

Wasn’t there an intermediate stage where she was 601 and had class 56 bogies too?  Not familiar enough with all the changes made to say whether one body with 2 different bogies would cover 601 and 901?  

As a Scottish region modeller I have no need for either but I would probably be tempted due to being a bit different. Anyway I’m sure she was loaned to Eastfield for some trials…….

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Thought the attractive RFd European livery would shift quick but it didn’t 

But Bachmann produced another celebrity rather than a standard version and wasn't 47365 Diamond Jubilee a late production with the previous tooling and that hung around? So I wasn't  particularly surprised.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

But Bachmann produced another celebrity rather than a standard version and wasn't 47365 Diamond Jubilee a late production with the previous tooling and that hung around? So I wasn't  particularly surprised.

True. Wasn’t 375 a flush front too, limiting renumber options ?

I think 601/901 , SF white roof jobs all ad up to the frustration of trying to find something different in the sea of Blue.

I like blue duffs and I’d love to see a marker light job with ETH , with or without headlight ( just sneaked into my era )

like this one ( not my photo, Dave peachy on Flickr )

IMG_9951.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I think 601/901 , SF white roof jobs all ad up to the frustration of trying to find something different in the sea of Blue.

I like blue duffs and I’d love to see a marker light job with ETH , with or without headlight ( just sneaked into my era )

IMG_9951.png

Yeah - it'd sell like hot cakes - sure lots of people would want one ................................ 😉

Edited by Southernman46
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

52 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Yeah - it'd sell like hot cakes - sure lots of people would want one ................................ 😉

Maybe ! I’d have to ask the institute of statistics for some statistics ……

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Rfd europe livery always seemed a bit marmite… even Lima ones werent that popular in the 90’s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Maybe ! I’d have to ask the institute of statistics for some statistics ……

73.6% of all statistics are made up. Honest…

Google it.

100% on RMWeb?

Roy

• Funny 4

48 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Rfd europe livery always seemed a bit marmite… even Lima ones werent that popular in the 90’s.

I quite liked it. Only saw it once in the flesh after EWS had taken over so they were starting to deteriorate , but I liked the bold “ Railfreight Distribution “ titles and the unrealised promise of vast tunnel freight .

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

73.6% of all statistics are made up. Honest…

Google it.

100% on RMWeb?

Roy

9 put of 10 cats prefer it…

when was last time they asked the cats ?

• RMweb Gold

+

46 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I quite liked it. Only saw it once in the flesh after EWS had taken over so they were starting to deteriorate , but I liked the bold “ Railfreight Distribution “ titles and the unrealised promise of vast tunnel freight .

I liked the livery on the 86s and 90s when they ditched the slab yellow ends. I never liked it with the yellow ends on the 47s, in a sort of half hearted banger blue style. Whilst I hold a lot of nostalgia for banger blue, there’s much nicer ways of painting the ends of a loco.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann does seem to like celebrities, which I presume it sees as something different that reflects the popularity of the actual loco. Whilst that probably still works for limited editions (around 500) I’m not convinced it’s the right approach for standard runs. You want people to buy multiples, so they need to be easily renumbered in standard versions of liveries without names etc., giving the most flexibility.

There have been lots of calls for an original WR namer in green or blue, which I would buy, but when Bachmann produced D1677 THOR in green with FYE, it had red-backed nameplates and modelled its short stay at SF. Why??? Guess what…it hung around (though it was DCC fitted).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, rob D2 said:

IMG_9951.png

You would think a plain blue unweathered 47, with yellow panel  and headlight would be a good idea… last one I can think of was 47600 by Vitrains in 2009.

Bachmanns offered 47404 and 47408 back in 2006, both sans headlight, and 47001 was close, no headlight round boiler port in 2014..

47402 Gateshead would be nice, just sayin, but an unamed one would be good too. Heljans promising 47314 though.

Edited by adb968008
Changed domino to yellow panel in an Aperol moment
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

You would think a plain blue unweathered 47, with dominos and headlight would be a good idea… last one I can think of was 47600 by Vitrains in 2009.

Bachmanns offered 47404 and 47408 back in 2006, both sans headlight, and 47001 was close, no headlight round boiler port in 2014..

47402 Gateshead would be nice, just sayin, but an unamed one would be good too. Heljans promising 47314 though.

Do you really mean dominoes with headlight, i.e. the back headcode panel? Or with yellow panel? I can't think there were many 47s with dominoes and headlight - wouldn't dominoes have been replaced with the yellow panel when the headlight was fitted?

Either way, I think the opportunity for further BR blue locos has been lost for the time being. We've had 47012 and 47435 in BR blue with dominoes but without the headlight with the new tooling, plus 47001 with yellow panel without headlight and 47625 with yellow panel and headlight with the old tooling all relatively recently. What are "missing" are green with SYP and Sercks and green with FYE and Sercks, which liveries I would expect to sell better than some of the later ones we have already seen on the new tooling. But Bachmann seems to want to produce more liveries at a time at present and choosing winning later liveries to go with those two seems more difficult. Not for me but perhaps in NSE blue that would have been seen on Anglia, Thames & Chiltern and West of England (W-E) services?

Edited by brushman47544
  • Like 2

On 04/04/2024 at 10:20, Matt said:

I remember as a teenager reading an article in RM on 901 and taking upon myself to modify an old Hornby 47 to her.  I was somewhat lacking in finesse with my technique for removing unneeded detail (including thick lines on sides) but managed to achieve something passable for 901. Sadly it all went wrong at the paint stage and heart was lost with the shell still languishing in a box somewhere i suspect….

Wasn’t there an intermediate stage where she was 601 and had class 56 bogies too?  Not familiar enough with all the changes made to say whether one body with 2 different bogies would cover 601 and 901?  

As a Scottish region modeller I have no need for either but I would probably be tempted due to being a bit different. Anyway I’m sure she was loaned to Eastfield for some trials…….

I don't think 47601 ever had class 56 bogies, are you confusing 56042 which had class 58 bogies? I think there would be enough interest in 47601/901 as LTD edition but it the sort of thing that Heljan rather than Bachmann are likely to do based on past track record

• Like 1

A lot of the releases seem to be lingering in shops so there probably not wanting to announce more until theyve gone. Same as the 24 i guess as theres been no new ones since the initial release years ago.

Back to the 47 tho, the only one you cant get anymore is the green one. So would welcome a new green one being announced

If the 47435 was £150 ish , I’d probably get another , but not at £200 plus .

Ive got a 47001 masquerading as 055 , the translucent grey discs are a bit odd , they stick out a bit ..

I think to clarify if I’ve got this right , the front had in order 

/ headcodes

/ 0000 set ( 76 ish )

/ dominoes ( white dots on black glass )

/ translucent grey discs ( TGD ) or small marker lights ( rarer) on yellow mainly panel .

Theyve done the 2 dominoes now so it’s the TGDs I’m on about 

• Like 1