Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

4 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Surely you're not going to criticise Accura for poor communication?

They're better than every other brand at letting us know what's going on.

I hope you haven't preordered an SLW 25, their communication frequency might cause you significant problems. 

Sorry but that is not what I implied - it is the very fact that Accurascale are so good at communicating ( and I agree miles ahead of the pack) that makes the project status change of a few weeks ago and the lack of any associated update so noticeable……. However it appears that the guys expect to issue an update by the end of the week, so all will become clear very soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

A bit later than billed; here is our Mark 2 update. Although published on the Accurascale site, this covers both the BR and NIR variants for IRM too.

So, where are we at?

Check out our latest blog to chart the progress of our lovely coaches: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/mark-2b-update-december-2022

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Flood said:

Ditto! Airfix Mk2D with Extreme Etchings window frames and corrected tumblehome.

155866722_Mk2CBSO.jpg.ecbe7528f72d1dbbe86638f1369d6cc0.jpg

My Lima based one is in a Lima 2C rake which is taking AGES to do, and is the rake most likely to be replaced. Not overly happy with my Lima based 2B 2Cs.

My Airfix one in the rake below

2C BSO

2D TSOT

2 x 2F FO

2 x 2E TSO

2D BFK

2E TSO

My new rake with the 2 BFKs has 6 TSOs 4 2E 1 2D 1 2F

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Probably best not look at our IRM range as a glimpse on what’s to come, so 🤣🤣

Cheers!

Fran

Yes I am awaiting a Mark 2b Grill / Bar car in BR blue / Grey WR to complete me set and maybe a BG too! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Mk2bs looked stunning at Model Rail Scotland . I had a BFK and FK on order with Accurascale but I’ve now topped this up with some second class coaches via Hattons as Accurascale sold out . Not really a rake I’d ever intended buying but they look so good I couldn’t resist . 

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Is there any update on where these are up to with delivery yet? Still Q2 2023?

Hi Gordon,

Yes, still Q2. They're in production and will be here towards the end of the quarter.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone into Mk2s and any other stuff could do with watching this video shot at New St in 1988.  There is all manner of stuff really including some footage of 50036, plenty of 31s, 47s and AC electrics and even 37200 puts in an appearance as well as one of the class 151 DMUs.  Most importantly though, at 25:22 there is a train departing probably for the northeast behind 47402.  The third coach in I think is a Mk2B in IC livery with an IC prefix which looks like IC17039.

A couple of minutes later in the video 47200 arrives at the A end of a platform on the Midland side (with head and taillights on !!) then runs over into the Stour tunnel, returns into platform, 1 or 2 and hooks onto a very rarely formed train.  This seems to be a Mk2B TSO then three Mk2 BSOs of various marques which disappear off down the Stour tunnel towards Proof House Jn.

Loads of inspiration and well worth a watch, no matter which Accurascale interests you have !!!  

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iofEPv8WsGE 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Covkid said:

A couple of minutes later in the video 47200 arrives at the A end of a platform on the Midland side (with head and taillights on !!) then runs over into the Stour tunnel, returns into platform, 1 or 2 and hooks onto a very rarely formed train. 

Head and tail lights at both ends was (and as far as I know still is) permissible for shunt manoeuvres. 

Roy

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Head and tail lights at both ends was (and as far as I know still is) permissible for shunt manoeuvres. 

Roy

I know it's a few years ago, but the last time I saw the Anglia 'short-set' shunt out of the platform at Norwich into the adjacent sidings, the 37's had head & tail lights illuminated.

Just before the move, I was talking to the driver on the platform, and asked him if it was deliberate.

He said not only was it deliberate, it was expected of them.

Cheers,

Phil.

12 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

It’s still in the rule book. The GBRF drivers on the Rylstone aggregate trains often do this when running around their trains at Skipton. They also often leave the cab doors open (which lots of modellers seem to think is unrealistic) 

We're delighted to announce two exclusive Mk2c Coaches to our ever expanding range! 😁 (keep up to date with our Mk2 c here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/177389-you-love-2c-it-announcing-the-accurascale-mark-2c-coaches/page/6/#comments 

Mk.2c QXA DB 977390

acc-mk2c-db977390-les-hyde.jpg.8c2969414c21c47177c446b899528c59.jpg

As ‘Sprinterisation’ started to bite from the mid-1980s, the Mk.2c fleet was increasingly sidelined with many examples withdrawn or sold abroad. This proved to be a boon for the departmental businesses which engorged themselves, primarily as brake force runners, and most retained their original livery until they were finally retired several years later. The First Opens, mostly declassified as Second Open coaches by 1984, seemed to be particularly popular and of the 18 built, seven became departmental coaches, while six were sold for use in Ireland/Northern Ireland.

One of the most widely travelled of the BR survivors was DB 977390 (ex-M6410/M3164), which became a QXA brake force runner for the Civil Engineer’s Mobile Track Assessment fleet in early 1987 and usually operated with DB 977339, a former Mk.1 BSK, and either BR High Speed Track Recorder coach DB999550 or the London Underground’s own track recorder vehicle TRC 666. It was one of just two Mk.2c to gain the MTA red stripe embellishment on its standard blue/grey livery. It later moved to Crewe and became part of the depot’s electric locomotive test train, complete with plated bodyside windows. Incredibly it survived the disbanding of this formation and was acquired for preservation, eventually coming under the custodianship of Eastern Rail Services, who kindly allowed Accurascale to survey the almost completely intact BR-period interior of this vehicle as part of the Mk.2 project. It now resides at Great Yarmouth and will eventually be restored to its original external condition.

Mk.2c QPA DB 977787

acc-mk2c-db977787-chas-tallis.jpg.025691bfc4d045e1d700ca20d63e481d.jpg

While most Mk.2c retained their blue/grey livery during their often short departmental service, one of the most colourful and long lasting vehicles was Civil Engineer/InterCity West Coast Staff & Tool Coach DB 977787, renumbered with few obvious external or internal differences from Brake Second Open M9453 in May 1992. One of three BSO to transfer to departmental use and one of just a handful of coaches to be repainted in the grey/yellow ‘Dutch’ livery, it also carried the lettering “InterCity Civil Engineer Preston”. It was initially based at Carnforth for use on the North West section of the WCML, although it was recorded at Doncaster by 1993. It later gained a generator, which involved significant reworking of the brake end gangways and the replacement of several windows with grilles.

After spells at Carlisle Kingmoor, Carnforth and Derby Etches Park it was finally retired in the early 2000s. Stored at Throckmorton Airfield, Worcestershire, and then Dalton Transport & Storage, North Yorkshire, as part of the ill-fated Mk.2 Preservation Group project, the gas axe finally caught up with it during the mass clearout of the remaining vehicles from the latter location. It was cut up at CF Booth, Rotherham, in April 2022, but not before donating parts to help bring several other Eastern Rail Services’s Mk.2s back to service in due course.

Both coaches will feature the same excellent specification of the main range Accurascale Mark 2c coaches including:

-Highly-detailed OO Gauge / 1:76.2 Scale Models on 16.5mm track

-Extremely fine exterior rivet detail on roof and coach ends

-Separately-applied etched metal and high-fidelity plastic parts, including handrails, brake/steam heat pipes, ETH cabling and sockets, footsteps, dummy drophead knuckle coupler, and roof vents

-Prism Free Glazing

-Pre-painted etched metal water filler covers provided for customer to install

-Fully-detailed underframe with numerous separate parts, pipe runs and accurate differences between versions

-The most accurate B4 bogies ever produced, with provision for re-gauging to EM or P4 (18.83mm) gauges

-Blackened RP25.110 profile wheel-sets with 14.4mm back-to-back measurements, and 26mm over pinpoints

-Different buffers for retracted and non-retracted positions

-Accurate interiors with characteristic 'winged' headrests, separate metal interior handrails on the brake and corridor vehicles and fully-detailed guard's compartment

-Correct height NEM standard coupling sockets with mini tension lock couplers and kinematic close-coupling

-Easy conversion to compatible knuckle couplers

-Full lighting package, including

-magnet 'wand' controlled interior lighting

-'Stay-Alive' capacitor in all coaches

-Minimum Radius 438mm (2nd Radius Set-track)

-Coach Length: 269mm

These coaches are primed for production and will begin once the Mark 2b production run is complete. They will arrive in stock in Q4 2023 and are the same great price of just £59.95 each and 10% off when you order multiples direct via the Accurascale website.

Edited by Accurascale
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Lovely couple of additions. I note the last sentence says 10% off when you order direct - I think this only for multi-buy based on just trying to do so. 

I want to add DB 977390 to my existing order to get the 10% off. How am I best doing this?

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, E100 said:

Lovely couple of additions. I note the last sentence says 10% off when you order direct - I think this only for multi-buy based on just trying to do so. 

I want to add DB 977390 to my existing order to get the 10% off. How am I best doing this?

Well spotted, Many thanks!