Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

On 14/04/2024 at 08:43, ohmygoodnessme said:

Delivery:

Try not to waste any time thinking about or chasing as I did as there is nothing you can do about it. I had a similar experience last summer. Sent with Anpost, the parcel definitely reached DHL Germany but it was sent back. Despite phoning DHL and actually speaking to several helpful human beings, they couldn’t tell me why I didn’t get the parcel, that the sender would be informed of the reason and I never did find out why. It took a couple of weeks before the parcel was resent from Ireland.

This was my experience. I have now received my shipment from Ireland at the second attempt, and never did find out whether DHL or Zoll caused the parcel to be sent back on the first attempt.

The inclusion of buffers in extended and retracted positions is a nice touch. And I like the mag(net)ic light-switching wand.

However, there is an issue with the couplings. Included with the 2b's is a small yellow chitty which claims that the NEM pockets are positioned to NEM standards. This does not seem to be quite the case. Using my NEM pocket gauge, I find that the pockets are at the correct height, but are set a bit too far back. Standard Roco couplers do not lock when fitted to these coaches. Using a standard Roco coupler in one coach and an extended Hornby-Roco coupler in the other works, but with a gap. Using the supplied magnetic couplers works, but again, there is a gap between the gangways of about a millimetre. I fitted the magnetic couplers to a pair of Roco coaches which normally couple gangway-to-gangway - quite a gap. Thus once again, a UK OO-gauge manufacturer has not got the NEM pockets right.

Fortunately, I have some old Märklin coupling bars which are a bit too long for normal use but just right for the Accurascale 2b.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

The inclusion of buffers in extended and retracted positions is a nice touch. And I like the mag(net)ic light-switching wand.

However, there is an issue with the couplings. Included with the 2b's is a small yellow chitty which claims that the NEM pockets are positioned to NEM standards. This does not seem to be quite the case. Using my NEM pocket gauge, I find that the pockets are at the correct height, but are set a bit too far back. Standard Roco couplers do not lock when fitted to these coaches. Using a standard Roco coupler in one coach and an extended Hornby-Roco coupler in the other works, but with a gap. Using the supplied magnetic couplers works, but again, there is a gap between the gangways of about a millimetre. I fitted the magnetic couplers to a pair of Roco coaches which normally couple gangway-to-gangway - quite a gap. Thus once again, a UK OO-gauge manufacturer has not got the NEM pockets right.

Fortunately, I have some old Märklin coupling bars which are a bit too long for normal use but just right for the Accurascale 2b.

Hi @Dogmatix,

We have included an NEM pocket extension piece in the detailing pack to assist here.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

Ok this may be a bit soon but as I missed out on the BFKs in blue/grey (WR) any thoughts of a second run?

Absolutely. We plan to maintain stock availability as much as possible and the next run is already mapped out (and a few more after that, and more versions and variants etc). We will share more once decorated samples are in hand 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, McC said:

Absolutely. We plan to maintain stock availability as much as possible and the next run is already mapped out (and a few more after that, and more versions and variants etc). We will share more once decorated samples are in hand 

Lesson learnt - MUST PREORDER 🤦‍♂️

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

One more question, is there anywhere I can look at the formations and haulage for these, TIA

Found it on page 2 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, McC said:

You may wish to do an early variation of the Mk2C TSO, TSOT, FK and BFK at some point using the Mk2B as a basis. If you want any more information on those or the Mk2B stock please either message me here or chat to Alex as we know each other from the local model railway club.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

We have included an NEM pocket extension piece in the detailing pack to assist here.

Yes, well, I found those extension pieces, but they are not good for use with the fitted NEM pocket cams, as the couplers cannot latch into place with the extension in between. Those extensions are for use with the supplied replacement shorter pocket cams to bring them back to the correct pocket length if required.

So, as I say, contrary to what the yellow card says, the NEM pockets do not appear to be correctly placed.

Is this also the case with the Mk1 coaches?

On 11/04/2024 at 21:10, robertcwp said:

I have been doing some coupling experiments. My Mark 2b stock needs to be able to couple to Bachmann Mark 2a stock and assorted Mark 1 stock such as Bachmann BGs and RUs and Hornby RBs and FOs. I tried Hornby magnetic couplings but the NEM boxes on the Bachmann 2a stock are so far back that they don't work. I could use Hunt ones but am not keen. I tried changing the 2b coupling mounts to the short version that came with the carriages and they seem fine but then I found that a short Bachmann tension lock in the standard Accurascale mount gives much the same spacing. So, for now, it's short t/l couplings for me.

It is a pity that manufacturers of British outline OO gauge models just do not seem to be able to get the NEM pockets in the right place. Close-coupling kinematics and NEM pockets are not new technology; they have been standard on H0 scale models for nearly 40 years.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

So, as I say, contrary to what the yellow card says, the NEM pockets do not appear to be correctly placed.

Is this also the case with the Mk1 coaches?

Not entirely sure how you are measuring but the sockets perfectly match the NEM guidelines.

The magnet couplers are set to couple the coaches as close together as possible to make sure there are no issues on R2 track. They are not related to the NEM standard. The short couplers are also set at a similar distance and are also designed to avoid issues on typical layout curves.

Both options are a significant improvement, we feel, on both NEM compliance and radius 2 compatible close coupling. 

Feel free to drop our support team a note. 

Edited by McC
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, McC said:

More Variants 🤔

17105.jpg.jpeg.ed96f7ed3d128f106ca1264953558a18.jpeg

17105 at Porthmadog about 40mins ago  😉

Bruce

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

For Accurascale, are there any plans to include today's running (excluding the already included WCRC variants) Mark2b's, Mark2c's etc. in heritage liveries with cantrails and whatever other modifications for up to date charter workings?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, McC said:

I have sympathy for my credit card. 

Sort of. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, billywhizz said:

It is the announcement of the MK2D that my credit card is afraid of!! 

I think mine will be smoking after that. I've got a full rake of Airfix 2Ds though so they won't be a high priority for me. 

• Like 1

26/8/21 Mk2B announced

9/6/22 Mk2B livery samples, + 8 months 1 day =

10/2/23 Mk2C announced

20/10/23 Mk2C livery samples

+ 8 months 1 day =

21/4/24 Mk2D announced??????

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Flood said:

26/8/21 Mk2B announced

9/6/22 Mk2B livery samples, + 8 months 1 day =

10/2/23 Mk2C announced

20/10/23 Mk2C livery samples

+ 8 months 1 day =

They would certainly go well with Deltics and not out of place behind a 50 or a 31/4 either.

16622718988_5bbefcc01d_c.jpg50040_17-4-80 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

26586696337_0e83aeaef1_c.jpg31407_Doncaster_1729@1747_18-6-78 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

24544401792_c83b897629_c.jpg9007_1E11 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, classy52 said:

For Accurascale, are there any plans to include today's running (excluding the already included WCRC variants) Mark2b's, Mark2c's etc. in heritage liveries with cantrails and whatever other modifications for up to date charter workings?

I suggested when I first saw these that doing them in the brown and cream livery to complete the Vintage trains rake would be an excellent idea. Although I was told they are a Mk2z I would readily accept these coaches done so far and liveried and numbered as the rake on the mainline as there is little difference between the types. 

14 hours ago, Flood said:

+ 8 months 1 day =

2D or not 2D, that is the question...

On the Vintage Trains rake, their Mk2 z/a rake is different to the Mk2b/c by having a centre vestibule with door separating the two seating saloons (like the Mk1) and lavatories at one end, whilst the 2b-c did away with the centre vestibule, had lavatories at both ends and was slightly longer.  However, I suppose it comes down to how many penalty points you want to get on your modeller's licence.

• Like 4

It is a pity that manufacturers of British outline OO gauge models just do not seem to be able to get the NEM pockets in the right place. Close-coupling kinematics and NEM pockets are not new technology; they have been standard on H0 scale models for nearly 40 years

and n gauge. Agree with your sentiments in this Email but disagree with §8 of your post from Wednesday 16:46. I think Accurascale have done a really good job here and provided couplings which provide a 1 mm distance between Mk2b coaches at rest (what is wrong with that?) which will go round radius 2 curves and their couplings are aligned (height, tail length) with previous offerings, it would be great if they could supply a Buckeye magnetic coupler instead of the generic couplers which are pleasantly simple and robust (Westhill wagon works take note) and the same length as their other (Dellner, Bar) couplers and hopefully will be made available as spares. You do not say what your "standard" Roco couplings are, but my experience with Roco 40271 is that they are binworthy after initial use. Hornby R8220 (more reliable) will give you a 4mm gap between Accurascale Mk2b. I've also trial fitted Fleischmann (which is associated with which other manufacturer to which you allude?) 386515 couplings, perhaps the Accurascale supplied alternative nem pockets will enable these to be used (let's put this in perspective, which manufacturer has to date supplied alternative nem pockets....)

Edited by ohmygoodnessme
  • Informative/Useful 1