Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

3 hours ago, Flood said:

I've now checked the 1988 Platform 5 Coaching Stock book and 17107 was allocated to NWRA like all the other Laira Mk2A BFKs. It was withdrawn on 29 March 1988 so only had about 6 months officially allocated to Waterloo - Exeter services.

I went for a two day trip at Easter 1987 (21st and 22nd April) with my friends and, from one of whom, I made the following notes:

50016; 5255, 5303, 5336, 6502, 17081, 17096, 5447, 5408, 5465

50010; 5261 I, 5462, 5443, 17070, 17086, 6500, 5480, 5459, 5254

50041; 3924, 3848, 4392, 13399, 35010, 5290, 3829, 95201, 93235

50047; 5496, 5450, 5477, 17107 I, 17082, 6504 I, 5466, 5278, 5246

50050; 5345, 5471, 5453, 6503, 17074, 17058, 5468, 5454, 5435

All coaches in black were blue and grey, those in blue were full NSE. 5261, 17107 and 6504 were still branded Inter-City, all the other blue and grey coaches had small NSE branding.

6502, 5465 and 5435 kept their silver window framing, all the other NSE coaches listed had them painted blue. 5248 (no branding), 5433, 5468, 5471, 17076, 17080 and 17086 also had silver frames. Whether any of the frames were subsequently painted over I don't know.

The Southern Region air brake Mk1 stock behind 50041 were reallocated, or scrapped, from the start of the May timetable that year.

17082, 5454 and 5435 were from the original batch of repaints which had numbers to the left of the coach and NetworkSouthEast to the right. Others were 5265, 5303, 5381, 5448, 5462, 17069, 17073, 17079 and 17086 but I'm pretty certain that they all had their positions changed to the normal style.

One Mk2Z TSO (5118) was never changed but that wasn't a Waterloo - Exeter coach.

So to answer your question I'm sure that 17107 never received full NSE but I honestly don't know about the NSE branding (although I would have guessed so).

Many thanks for all this. I have been copying the information from the various posters who have helped, and saving them in a Word document for my own use later - it saves searching for it all later.

I have cut in a new viaduct on Newton Broadway, and the first test train was a Cavalex class 56 on the Bachmann Mk 2As and Accurascale Mk 2Bs that I have so far. Yes, I know the 56 is really a freight loco, but it's on a special excursion! 😁

• Like 6

Slightly off topic but this photo shows that a Mk2A TSO still had the numbers and emblems reversed in May 1991.

Copyright RobT653 on Flickr

Hoover and hooves!

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

On 28/08/2021 at 12:23, McC said:

Pickups are on both bogies, wired via a stayalive capacitor to the lighting circuits via a magnetic relay. 

It would be a relatively small job to remove the mag relay and pop a small function decoder into the same position in the circuit, thus gaining DCC control should it be wished.

I'm just looking at adding flashing tail lights and thinking that adding a DCC decoder could be a solution. In my searches i saw this comment and just wondered if anyone's looked at adding a function decoder to the existing circuit?

Have to admit ive no idea how to do the hack!

20240403_172110.jpg.d528177f486398cc093b5e247f410ccf.jpg

I guess an alternative option is to wire up a function and common output from the decoder to the pickups?

Ta

Will

38 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm just looking at adding flashing tail lights and thinking that adding a DCC decoder could be a solution. In my searches i saw this comment and just wondered if anyone's looked at adding a function decoder to the existing circuit?

Have to admit ive no idea how to do the hack!

20240403_172110.jpg.d528177f486398cc093b5e247f410ccf.jpg

I guess an alternative option is to wire up a function and common output from the decoder to the pickups?

Ta

Will

Another carriage lighting topic! 

So I have a good look at the AC lighting board and it consists of the following: 

• Bridge Rectifier to convert A/C to DC. 
  • 5v Regulator to drop the DC down to 5v
  • 0.22F super capacitor rated at 5v (hence the reason to drop the voltage)
  • Hall sensor and associated transistors to operate the lights. 
  • Resistors and LEDs to actually provide the lights

So what does all this mean? Well fitting a decoder of any sort would be less than straight forward to control the existing lights - but not impossible, although you'd loose the stayalive doing that. 

I installed a DCC concepts flashing tail light into mine, but sadly the circuit from that will not operate at just 5v meaning the stayalive capacitor can't really be used. In the end I fed the circuit from the DC side of the Bridge Rectifier and added my own additional 25v rated capacitor to provide some stayalive to just the tail light.

Bruce 

Edited by D400
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, D400 said:

So I have a good look at the AC lighting board and it consists of the following: 

So what does all this mean? Well fitting a decoder of any sort would be less than straight forward to control the existing lights - but not impossible, although you'd loose the stayalive doing that. 

I installed a DCC concepts flashing tail light into mine, but sadly the circuit from that will not operate at just 5v meaning the stayalive capacitor can't really be used. In the end I fed the circuit from the DC side of the Bridge Rectifier and added my own additional 25v rated capacitor to provide some stayalive to just the tail light.

Bruce 

We do actually have flashing tail lamp (kits) in hand (ex Wagons) which could be fitted, tho it would be rather DIY,,,, perhaps drop us a line direct if you feel brave :) 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, D400 said:

Bruce 

Hi Bruce!

Many thanks for your detailed reply.... you can guess what I've been playing with the last few days ;)

Sounds like I need to try something alternative... maybe a DCC lightbar or similar. I'll have a think.

Cheers

Will

1 hour ago, McC said:

We do actually have flashing tail lamp (kits) in hand (ex Wagons) which could be fitted, tho it would be rather DIY,,,, perhaps drop us a line direct if you feel brave :) 

Thanks for the offer. I'm trying to do something with DCC so will see if I can do something that works. If not I'll be in touch!

Cheers

Will

3 hours ago, McC said:

I've dropped you a PM. Very kind offer.

Regards,

Bruce

31 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Lots of Mk2 coaches now in stock on accurascale website. 

Ordered a couple :)

Star man, thanks for that. Just ordered another six! 😳

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Lots of Mk2 coaches now in stock on accurascale website. 

Ordered a couple :)

I just want to hereby declare another case of general bodily harm has been inflicted on my wallet.

I thought I was I done here, but the thought of a second NSE rake was too much to pass.

But having seen the Bachmann mk2a on the Accurascale mk2b chassis a page back, has opened a number of thoughts into my head… so its a case of make a bit of hay here and have a few extra in the corner for just in case things…. Not least the boxes are a manageable size… Bless

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

More bodily harm on my wallet too.  Having seen the boat train posts, I have bought more NSE FKs.

In Rail Express Modeller supplement 27 they show a boat train formation of GUV, 2b FK x 2, 2a FK, 2c FK, 2a FK, 2b FK x 2, 2a BFK.  I have the GUV, a couple of Bachmann 2a FKs (dark blue!), 4 Accurascale 2b FKs and a Bachmann light blue 2a BFK.  That means I only need a 2c FK.

Happy days.

Edited by mevaman1
Typo
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Did Deltics ever lump these around in blue-grey?

Hope so!

It's your layout! Rule 1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Hope so!

Think it said in some of the blurb that some were allocated to the Eastern Region and a couple were added to the Flying Scotsman.  So probably yes.  If not rule 1.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bishdurham said:

Think it said in some of the blurb that some were allocated to the Eastern Region and a couple were added to the Flying Scotsman.  So probably yes.  If not rule 1.

The first eleven FKs 13476-13486 went new to the ER, but that’s all. No TSOs.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

The first eleven FKs 13476-13486 went new to the ER, but that’s all. No TSOs.

I'm surprised at even that I certainly never saw any MK2b on East Cost Services, maybe before the  Air Con versions arrived, as all I remember were Mk2a, Mk2d, and Mk2f.  I picked up a Bachmann Mk2a Blue/Grey TSO for a very reasonable price on the well know selling site yesterday in fact around half the price of the stupid prices they have been selling at and they seemed to be quite a few, are modelers selling their MK2a's for MK2b's?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Flood said:

It's your layout! Rule 1.

Agreed - mine are behind a Hymek on a never existed Southampton - Oxford summer service over a line that closed in the 1960's awaiting release of FP based ETH 31/4's from the London area ....................... for the Autumn timetable (hopefully)

Fortunately ?? those that were left on the AS site I've already bought elsewhere.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Mine were deffo a rule 1 purchase as i model the br green diesel era 

Thank you all that have replied. There's definitely a large element of Rule 1 as I don't think they would have been seen in 1938 on the GE Mainline 🤓

They can run with a blue 37 for the most part.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Hope so!

In their last few years they did pull the Trans-Pennine trains which were usually made up of MK2's so there's a good chance that they did, although they may have been the 2a/c types.

Deltic sunset

Deltic daze Beautiful Batley!

• Like 9

On 28/03/2024 at 19:53, Krieghoff said:

Any news yet on the limited edition certificates for the RTC Coaches. Just asking as the last email from AS said they would be sent by post as the factory had omitted to include them

many thanks 

Hi, I couldn't see a response to this, is there any news of when these will arrive?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 40002 said:

I picked up a Bachmann Mk2a Blue/Grey TSO for a very reasonable price on the well know selling site yesterday in fact around half the price of the stupid prices they have been selling at and they seemed to be quite a few, are modelers selling their MK2a's for MK2b's?

Yes I noticed that too. I am gradually picking up Bachmann Mk2/2a's for my 70s / early 80s Highland layout. A lot more on that auction site recently and now going for circa £40 - as you say a lot less than they have been going for lately. 

• Like 2