Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

Mk2c stock from 1969/70, also didn't carry slogans for the first couple of years, and were painted with brown underframes and bogies, which also would apply to those with IC slogans until 1978-c.1980. However our friends at Accurascale  are not offering the blue-grey without slogans on Mk2c stock (limited appeal?), so their option with IC slogans and black chassis, will be correct for 1978 onwards, although repainting your chassis brown is easy, you won't even need to remove the body. Slogans with brown chassis covers the period c.1970/1 to 1978-1980ish.

The indirect reason for the switch from 1964/65 brown to traditional black coach chassis, is due to the first couple of HST sets in 1976, being out-shopped with brown chassis, including the Mk3 skirts, which HQ and the Design Panel decided would look smarter with gloss black.  From around 1978 this spread to the rest of the coaching fleet, which is also around the time when blue-grey spread to much more of the DMU and suburban EMU fleet, replacing the failed white/blue on the former.     BK

Edited by Kirby Uncoupler
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A mk2d lets face it, is a tooling 40 years old for the Airfix one at this stage.

That tooling certainly did the rounds. I dread to think what kind of state its in now.  I'm guessing Hornby managed to get one more run out of it before it was just too far gone. I'm happy to be corrected though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

That tooling certainly did the rounds. I dread to think what kind of state its in now.  I'm guessing Hornby managed to get one more run out of it before it was just too far gone. I'm happy to be corrected though.

I wouldn't be so sure. Older tooling seems to last much longer in general then newer tooling. Look at how much use Hornby has made of some of the ex-Lima tooling - they may be more primitive in terms of detail but the models are still crisp. The same goes for the last run of Mk2Ds. No a reason not to retool though.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I wouldn't be so sure. Older tooling seems to last much longer in general then newer tooling. Look at how much use Hornby has made of some of the ex-Lima tooling - they may be more primitive in terms of detail but the models are still crisp. The same goes for the last run of Mk2Ds. No a reason not to retool though.

The Airfix tools would have been machined for producing a hundred thousand or more models - standard production numbers then. For most of their life they will have been worked at a fraction of the capacity they were designed for. Modern tools are used across much smaller production runs.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

You can make tools from steel or from aluminum. The former will stand the test of time. 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 19/04/2024 at 19:20, younGGuns7 said:

I know i came to the party late and missed these so 🤞 for some more 

Well the email “if it comes back into stock” really does work, now got a BFK on order, there was 8 when I got the email, when I last looked just 4 left. Happy days 👍👍

Edited by younGGuns7
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a look through a few pages but can’t find any answers, does anybody have the West Coast Railways livery Mk2s and how does the livery compare to the current Bachmann West Coast Livery? Are they similar or any stand out colour differences? Thanks

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Richy59 said:

I’ve had a look through a few pages but can’t find any answers, does anybody have the West Coast Railways livery Mk2s and how does the livery compare to the current Bachmann West Coast Livery? Are they similar or any stand out colour differences? Thanks

Take another look, as there was a long series of messages all posted not too long ago.  The search function is also very effective.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Richy59 said:

You're better off starting from Page 37 where I highlighted the differences in colour between AS & Bachmann WCRC Coaches, for me they are very different but up to you to decide whether you would run them together or not.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Richy59 said:

2 hours ago, classy52 said:

You're better off starting from Page 37 where I highlighted the differences in colour between AS & Bachmann WCRC Coaches, for me they are very different but up to you to decide whether you would run them together or not.

But by the same token, a freshly outshopped glossy WCR vehicle can look quite different to one in service for several years.  I notice some images online today of 99318 which I believe has just headed up to Fort William. Nice rich glossy WCR paintjob which I am assuming is quite fresh. Looks like an SK which has had a buffet counter conversion in the last couple of bays.  Contrast that vehicle with some of the tired looking air con Mk2s in the fleet.     

9 hours ago, Covkid said:

But by the same token, a freshly outshopped glossy WCR vehicle can look quite different to one in service for several years.  I notice some images online today of 99318 which I believe has just headed up to Fort William. Nice rich glossy WCR paintjob which I am assuming is quite fresh. Looks like an SK which has had a buffet counter conversion in the last couple of bays.  Contrast that vehicle with some of the tired looking air con Mk2s in the fleet.     

Yes you are correct, but I have yet to see a WCRC Coach looking like the Bachmann version in regards to colour whether freshly painted or not and is basically the same colour as the WCRC diesel loco's (BR Maroon as stated by others) which IMO is incorrect and no amount of weathering is going to change that and probably make it worse or way too dark.

Personally, the Accurascale WCRC Coaches are the closest match to the real thing with colour and those are the ones that will benefit more from being weathered or left in pristine condition to closely match what's on the railway today.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Not a big thing but is there a plan with the missing certificates in the RTC pack? Presume something along the line of sending these in the post to the same address unless advised otherwise?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E100 said:

Not a big thing but is there a plan with the missing certificates in the RTC pack? Presume something along the line of sending these in the post to the same address unless advised otherwise?

I sent accurascale a message directly about this some time ago and in a reply directly,  was told that the certificates were not included but were in the process of being sent over. This was several weeks ago now. 
im happy to be corrected but im not sure we will get these now. A shame really. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

I sent accurascale a message directly about this some time ago and in a reply directly,  was told that the certificates were not included but were in the process of being sent over. This was several weeks ago now. 

Since you were told they were in the process of being sent, why would you now not get them?

We started posting them out last week  :)

Edited by McC
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, McC said:

We started posting them out last week  :). 

2 hours ago, Krieghoff said:

I had noticed that an e bay seller had lost the sale and got neg feedback on one of these packs as the certificate was not in the box,what goes around comes around eh,so they are not worth double without the certificate it seems.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

On 30/04/2024 at 11:41, McC said:

Since you were told they were in the process of being sent, why would you now not get them?

We started posting them out last week  :)

Im glad to hear it. Its certainly not a case of not getting them, its just the time taken but credit where its due to you guys and if i seemed to lack a little confidence then this has put it right.

thankyou ! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/04/2024 at 17:33, McC said:

Absolutely. We plan to maintain stock availability as much as possible and the next run is already mapped out (and a few more after that, and more versions and variants etc). We will share more once decorated samples are in hand 

A ScotRail blue grey TSOT, 6610, 6618 or 6619 is hopefully on you map.  But please check Floods toilet window vent guide first!

Loving my Mk2b coaches and looking forward to my Mk2c coaches I have ordered.

• Agree 1

On 16/04/2024 at 14:41, big jim said:

Notice a few MK2s have appeared new on eBay at £59.99 in various liveries however upon clicking on the seller it appears they are based in Oakhampton, the same place as a number of previous since banned sellers who took peoples money but didn’t deliver the goods 

it may be a coincidence but I thought I’d mention it incase it’s the same person using yet another username and people get scammed again 

It was another scam. I ordered 2 and was told by Chris they had been posted (without tracking info). They never arrived. Auction website has refunded my folly in my actions of trying to buy 2 NSE's!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, metman said:

It was another scam. I ordered 2 and was told by Chris they had been posted (without tracking info). They never arrived. Auction website has refunded my folly in my actions of trying to buy 2 NSE's!

and no doubt in a few months another oakhampton based seller will appear selling all the same items

i know its more of an item for discussion in the eBay part of the forum but how on earth are they getting away with reappearing after a few months. I’ve certainly reported previous incarnations of the same seller, what’s also puzzling is the huge feedback figures the new seller will have when they reappear! 

• Agree 1