Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

As much as I think that the Mk2.f from Bachmann is a good example of the coach, the lack of variety of releases makes me think it’s could be done by someone else. I think every other Mk.2 type can be done because the gulf in quality and detail is massive compared to these new ones.

I agree I think that modern image charter rakes have been truly forgotten by most barring Bachmann’s WCRC stuff and now Accurascale’s stuff. considering these coaches can be seen everywhere on the network they cover all regions.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

38 minutes ago, XChris said:

I agree I think that modern image charter rakes have been truly forgotten by most barring Bachmann’s WCRC stuff and now Accurascale’s stuff. considering these coaches can be seen everywhere on the network they cover all regions.

But would enough folk buy full rakes to justify them ? Personally doubt it, but welcome other thoughts.

On 18/04/2024 at 08:00, McC said:

Not entirely sure how you are measuring but the sockets perfectly match the NEM guidelines.

The NEM362 standard (English version availale at file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/nem362_en_2004.pdf) defines the distance from the end of the coupler pocket to the outer face of the buffers or further protruding parts like gangways* as 7.5mm.

On the Accurascale Mark 2b coaches, I measure the same distance (to the gangway ends) as 8.5mm (give or take 0.1mm).

That's 1mm too far in, procluding the use of NEM standard couplers, such as standard Roco couplers or other NEM-compliant couplers or coupling bars.

I'll do some pictures to illustrate my point later.

* "rubber beads" is a mistranslation of the original German "Gummiwülste", meaning the rubber ends of the gangway connections.

20 minutes ago, Covkid said:

But would enough folk buy full rakes to justify them ? Personally doubt it, but welcome other thoughts.

Would doing them as 3 coach packs work allowing some to get some bits, like a 2x TSO and a BSO for a ‘short set’ then additional ones like 3xFO’s and a TSO, RFO, FO work for those that want to build the train?

• RMweb Premium

I think I will get some for my next BC rake, rather than mess with Lima or Airfix.

But when doing

ABC

CDEF

BDEF

Getting them matching is important

2 hours ago, XChris said:

Would doing them as 3 coach packs work allowing some to get some bits, like a 2x TSO and a BSO for a ‘short set’ then additional ones like 3xFO’s and a TSO, RFO, FO work for those that want to build the train?

Perhaps a 4 coach pack would work as well, with each pack being able to work as a shorter version of a train.

Something like 2 TSOs, 1 FO, and a BSO or BFO.

Get 2 packs and put a Mk1 buffet car and you get a whole rake.

Alternatively FO-TSO-TSO-BSO and RFO-TSO-TSO-BSO.

Would also reduce packaging I think!

Edited by BrakeCoach

S'been done on the Continent as sets with the "trains" concept - limited editions though

MW-1602 - Oostende - Koln for example - trying to get the baggage car individually in that livery is like trying to find Unicorn dung by digging with a hen's tooth 😬 All LS models products ISTR.

MW-1602.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, XChris said:

I think they got it just right. Lots of different numbers, and one point of note…. No Brakes left.

nearly everyone making coaches has brakes left over, which end up in bargain bins.

so i think they called it right.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Covkid said:

I'm guilty here. I have 6 renumbered  and rebogied (Commonwealth) Hornby Mk1s, 3 Bachmann MK2As, 2 Accurascale Mk2Bs and am awaiting the arrival of 3 Bachmann Mk1s! Plus I have 3 Bachmann Mk2Fs on preorder...and I might have some Accurascale Mk2Cs on preorder as well!

6 hours ago, XChris said:

As much as I think that the Mk2.f from Bachmann is a good example of the coach, the lack of variety of releases makes me think it’s could be done by someone else. I think every other Mk.2 type can be done because the gulf in quality and detail is massive compared to these new ones.

There are some suspicious holes in the chassis of the Bachmann Mk2f that could very easily be for Mk2d/e bits. Only subtle differences in bodies to tool.

A Mk2a/z would be very welcome. For me the Bachmann Mk2a only misses due to its roof shape otherwise it looks fine to me. So I'd much prefer these to be done by Accurascale to match their Mk2b.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I think they got it just right. Lots of different numbers, and one point of note…. No Brakes left.

nearly everyone making coaches has brakes left over, which end up in bargain bins.

so i think they called it right.

I know i came to the party late and missed these so 🤞 for some more 

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, younGGuns7 said:

I know i came to the party late and missed these so 🤞 for some more 

Colletts Models in Exmouth have two Brakes in stock as of this moment in time.

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, D86 said:

Colletts Models in Exmouth have two Brakes in stock as of this moment in time.

Must have missed them all gone 😩Thanks thou

Edited by younGGuns7

• RMweb Premium

I’m still running my mk2bs despite the fact my layout was set up for steam running . Can’t take them off the layout , which has prompted a layout reversion to BRBlue/Grey . These really are superb coaches and value for money too .while I run Airfix/Dapol Mk2ds I have to say if Accurascale were to produce these , replacement would be a no brainer . So while in the past I’ve said no need for 2d duplication - id certainly sign up now 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Legend said:

I’m still running my mk2bs despite the fact my layout was set up for steam running . Can’t take them off the layout , which has prompted a layout reversion to BRBlue/Grey . These really are superb coaches and value for money too .while I run Airfix/Dapol Mk2ds I have to say if Accurascale were to produce these , replacement would be a no brainer . So while in the past I’ve said no need for 2d duplication - id certainly sign up now 

A mk2d to Accurascale standards is a must 👍🏻💯

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

Just now, Melton Works said:

Think of the liveries.... Virgin XC, Inter-City Executive/Swallow, Anglia Railways, FGW, Blue grey, NSE (fk), Wessex Trains, Blue Pullman, Arriva Trains Wales, etc...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Melton Works said:

Think of the liveries.... Virgin XC, Inter-City Executive/Swallow, Anglia Railways, FGW, Blue grey, NSE (fk), Wessex Trains, Blue Pullman, Arriva Trains Wales, etc...

You missed the most important one…. 1980’s ScotRail!!!😜

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have a large rake of BR MK2b's in BR Blue and Grey these are superb wagons especially when the magnetic close couplings are fitted. 

Just wondering what is the difference between MK2b's and MK2c's ? many thanks Chris 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Melton Works said:

The clue must be on the IRM site…..

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/en-gb/collections/murphy-models-mark-2d-coaches/products/5224-irish-railways-mk-iid-cie-standard-coach

the mk2c appeared there first, and the UK announcement followed.

The mk2d is on the IRM site, seems a shame to waste the tooling not doing a UK spec one.

A mk2d lets face it, is a tooling 40 years old for the Airfix one at this stage.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

The clue must be on the IRM site…..

https://irishrailwaymodels.com/en-gb/collections/murphy-models-mark-2d-coaches/products/5224-irish-railways-mk-iid-cie-standard-coach

the mk2c appeared there first, and the UK announcement followed.

The mk2d is on the IRM site, seems a shame to waste the tooling not doing a UK spec one.

A mk2d lets face it, is a tooling 40 years old for the Airfix one at this stage.

These are Murphy Models coaches being sold by IRM. The tooling has been slightly improved since the first batch which came out some years ago. Though they are referred to as 2Ds the bodyshells are mark 2E/F style with diagonally opposed toilets on the TSOs.

HTH

Kevin 

Edited by apollo 079
Error correction

Just to add, that the underframe equipment of "Irish aircon mark 2s" was different because they were vacuum braked and the interiors were very different indeed with high backed "bench" style seats and wood panelling. The models themselves (I've just taken delivery of six in the IR "tipp-ex" livery) are nice enough but no frills such as interior lights (with or without a wand) or alternative couplers/buffers. But they still look good to me 😀

Edited by apollo 079
Typo

Hi Everyone,

I have made some alterations to two of my Accura TSOs (how very dare I), first I have repainted the roofs into matt grey (Humbrol 67), and secondly I have repainted the underframes and bogies into pre-1978 brown. I used Humbrol 160, but it varied and was most obvious on clean ex-works stock. The brown would weather and get dirty, the later black u/fs could weather and look grey.

20240421_211535.jpg.68d1d85cdc9f2ddb268372edbf96a777.jpg

Accurascale have very kindly provided three versions of the blue-grey livery, (a) Without IC slogans (1968-74ish), (b) With IC slogans (1970-NSE 1986+), and (c) With NSE lettering (1986+), the application of the IC slogans appears to have been a long drawn out process, perhaps awaiting works overhauls? 

Another job was to remove half of the "No-Smoking" stickers, at the appropriate end, since many more people smoked back then, smoking compartments could be filthy places. Removal is tricky, to avoid scratching I used acetone/nail varnish remover, but it can smear. Others have suggested T-Cut, but I haven't tried it on glazing, it is a mild abrasive?

I decided to try magnets to secure the yellow WR destination boards, gluing a thin steel washer to the back of the boards, and round neowhatsit magnets inside the body. I used impact glue, don't use superglue cos it could stain the paintwork, and/or fog the glazing, leading to disaster.

The loo appears to be occupied!

Cheers, Brian.

20240421_193334.jpg.24f32ac085ca7d9f2aba28c9ce5cb9b0.jpg20240421_211614.jpg.078879e1e7ae81a8b308b0f12932c5b2.jpg

Edited by Kirby Uncoupler
Added info
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Hi Everyone,

I have made some alterations to two of my Accura TSOs (how very dare I), first I have repainted the roofs into matt grey (Humbrol 67), and secondly I have repainted the underframes and bogies into pre-1978 brown. I used Humbrol 160, but it varied and was most obvious on clean ex-works stock. The brown would weather and get dirty, the later black u/fs could weather and look grey.

20240421_211535.jpg.68d1d85cdc9f2ddb268372edbf96a777.jpg

Accurascale have very kindly provided three versions of the blue-grey livery, (a) Without IC slogans (1968-74ish), (b) With IC slogans (1970-NSE 1986+), and (c) With NSE lettering (1986+), the application of the IC slogans appears to have been a long drawn out process, perhaps awaiting works overhauls? 

... snipped ...

Cheers, Brian.

If you take the Mk 2C coaches to come, you can add Scotrail and Inter-City Scotrail brandings. The only variation I can't see is blue/grey with InterCity branding (no hyphen). 

All credit to Accurascale for being thorough.