Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I take it that you are going with the Cambrian Railways livery?

I was sort of hoping that I already had! From all of ten mins reading last night, my understanding livery development was something like

• 1860s - Dark grey, numbered on the ends, lower plank, otherwise unmarked
  • 1880s - Light grey, numbered on the ends, upper plank, otherwise unmarked
  • 1899 - CAM \|/ RYS, numbered ends, tare LH solebar, loading weight under feathers
  • 1915 - CAMBRIAN bit of a rare and mongerel livery
  • Post-grouping standard 16" GW 

Might well have misunderstood it all though, and I can't quite believe that up until c.1900 the wagons weren't marked with tare and load limits.

Numbers for the dif liveries are provided in the instructions IIRC,  and helpfully the WRRC transfer sets come with them too if one goes pre-grouping. This was the first kit I knocked up, so take look at Compound's build over in the D299 tent for an example of how it should go together and tips on how to make that happen!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Schooner said:

Railtec brake van allocations - perfect!

But...

4216-1.jpg

...would be a later font. Part of me is tempted by the convenience and accuracy be damned, but not a large part. So, shy of any other suggestions, I'll pull the trigger on the HMRS alphabet sheets at the end of the week.

Are you saying you'd like this sheet but in a different font? Life's too short to be lining up individual letters from an alphabet sheet! There's also the option to get any ready-made allocation name you like in pretty much any font:

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=9970

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, railtec-models said:

Life's too short to be lining up individual letters from an alphabet sheet!

I was consoling myself that it was no worse than tare weights for a wagon or two...but you're right!

I was about to reply by PM, but perhaps it'll be more useful if left here. If there's an option to alter the font for 9970 then that would be the answer - given the quality of Railtec prints I'd have no hesitation in placing an order! However, I'm afraid I don't know enough to suggest which font byb name, or what height the letters should be.

Apologies for not having any better references - a quick flick through to-hand GWR books and a trawl of Google hasn't come up with anything useful so the best I can offer by way of illustration:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html - "Bristol" on the AA16 a couple of images down on the left (non-secure site, can't embed)

004c.jpg

(With perpetual thanks to @Mikkel for the inspiration and instruction).

To me it looks like the same font and size as "To carry..." etc, which makes sense. However, I don't know if this is accurate, or simply what was available...

Your thoughts?

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Schooner said:

I was consoling myself that it was no worse than tare weights for a wagon or two...but you're right!

I was about to reply by PM, but perhaps it'll be more useful if left here. If there's an option to alter the font for 9970 then that would be the answer - given the quality of Railtec prints I'd have no hesitation in placing an order! However, I'm afraid I don't know enough to suggest which font byb name, or what height the letters should be.

Apologies for not having any better references - a quick flick through to-hand GWR books and a trawl of Google hasn't come up with anything useful so the best I can offer by way of illustration:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html - "Bristol" on the AA16 a couple of images down on the left (non-secure site, can't embed)

To me it looks like the same font and size as "To carry..." etc, which makes sense. However, I don't know if this is accurate, or simply what was available..

Your thoughts?

Ah ok. How about the attached mock-up? Putting the actual place names to one side briefly, is this the style you have in mind?

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Schooner said:

004c.jpg

(With perpetual thanks to @Mikkel for the inspiration and instruction).

To me it looks like the same font and size as "To carry..." etc, which makes sense. However, I don't know if this is accurate, or simply what was available...

Your thoughts?

The "Farthing" on the brake van was just composed from individual letters nicked from other words on the HMRS sheet.

20 hours ago, railtec-models said:

Life's too short to be lining up individual letters from an alphabet sheet!

Strangely for me, it makes life seem richer and therefore longer 🙂

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

On 21/06/2022 at 17:43, railtec-models said:

is this the style you have in mind?

Pretty much! It's annoying not being able to find a decent photo to send for better info, but that's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. I'll swallow a little pride and ask in the GWR stock forum section, see if anything more definitive comes up.

Likewise on lettering height. A quick measure-up suggests a max available space of about 1.5mm x 9mm, which ties in with 5" lettering as per GWR's other markings at the time, but is hardly concrete...

Loving the support, thank you!

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

And now for something completely different:

oak-tree-in-spring-picture-id1395544751?

oak-tree-with-new-spring-leaves-in-a-gre

http://davidtravisphotography.com/img/blog/seasons/seasons-1.jpg

english-oak-tree-quercus-robur-as-spring

base-of-an-oak-tree-with-moss-autumn-sea

bark-of-dead-oak-tree-sherbourne-glouces

little-owl-sitting-at-entrance-of-wooden

The Old Oak* down Wharf should exist by the weekend. Treemendus kit arrived yest, references inc. obligatory Farthing how-to today, seafoam due tomo...

*More 'Notable Oak' - I don't think it need be more than c.150 years old at time of setting (1870-1900) to have been protected from felling at the wharf's construction c.1800 - so a substantial tree, no need to go full Womping Willow...but a nice thick dialect "Owed Oak" sounds so much better :)

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Regularity said:

“No. 1. The larch. The latch.”

Pahahahaha 🤣

Thank you, I'd forgotten that!

Edited by Schooner
...and hell, who isn't in need of a giggle today
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Afternoon all, how are we?

Tree continues, slowly. Painting of various bits progresses, glacially. Groundwork is on-going, at a suitably geological pace. So, before updates on those, a couple of questions if I may. One specific and one general.

Firstly: I have an in-use Peckett for layout testing, whose running is suffering from the valuable learning opportunities covered to date, and is to be retired as soon as her work is done. I have an unused Peckett, still in its shipping packaging, for layout operation when the time comes. Both are Niclausses, bought when Rails had them on offer. The latest version of the W4 features longer wiper pickups, which should aid contact without undue friction, but I think that's it by way of changes. Superlative slow running on DC is essential to my enjoyment of the layout. Is it worth trading/selling my unused W4 for a new model?

Secondly, we've seen my initial attempt to turn a W4 into a Manning Wardle H, to represent one of the Midland Railway's early shunters, warped to destruction before I got to it:

20210515_102906.jpg.ff14f09ec49adb7f045e

...and the second attempt  (link to build post) which...ummm...well, yeah...

20220510_103227.jpg.37eba2309703a56f8bc2

...and I'm keen that the third iteration is the final one.

I'm also keen that it be as good as possible. What can I do to make it better? All feedback, suggestions, and recommendations sought, please! "Less exploded" is valid, but already noted :)

The only real change I've got in mind is to find a greener Johnsonny green

e940449b8b7d82f263df50957e0bd676.jpg

and I'd like to have a go at recurved lining, using transfers

Midland Railway - MR 2-4-0 steam locomotive Nr. 813 (Neilson Locomotive Works, Glasgow 1533 / 1876)

...but I'm sure there are more improvements possible and would love to hear them :)

Cheers, happy Sunday!

Schooner

Edited by Schooner
Better pics
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Hi @Schooner,

just finished catching up with your thread: excellent progress so far, if I may say so! The buildings and inset trackwork look very convincing.

For your little MW H (sincerest commiserations on the first two, btw), could I suggest a thinner spectacle plate? Maybe from brass or NS? The real thing is obviously sheet iron/steel, so I think the model would benefit from something thinner. Just my two penn'orth :) 

Looking forward to seeing your next instalment.

All the best,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

@2996 Victor ideal, thank you! Big visual impact, a little stretch of my skillset using a new material, but within the realms of possibility...yup, it's on the list :) Looking at my go-to reference pics (MW 752/1880, as Millwall Dock's No.7 and MW 905/1884 as the L&IDJC's No.16), the obvious strapping would be a good addition to the plate too, which should be doable. Cheers!

More treeing about to commence (last round of pruning, then applying bark paste). I've found that anything to do with seafoam is to ballasting what ballasting is to having fun, so it's all rather slow-going. We'll see what the end result looks like, and how long it takes to achieve, but currently thinking of outsourcing any trees in the future!

Tree3b.jpg

(seemless photoshopping!)

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Looks very good so far I think. Some nice fine bits of seafoam at the ends of the branches.  The fine-ness does make a big difference. So of course they always seem to be the rarest ones in the packages you get! 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...

Made a bit of noise elsewhere so thought I'd better swing by here!

No pics for now, I'll grab some later and edit them in, but chipping away at bits of the layout with all but the RH edge (lane to bridge over canal, front right, and the bridge itself) functionally complete. You'd have thought that a year to plan an inglenook puzzle, using a pre-exisiting trackplan, and a year or so to build would have been enough to settle things down...but no! Nothing drastic, but the Old Wharf has been further denuded of buildings to make more of the tree and (probably) timber stacking ground. Does mean the perpetual mess of chinchilla dust and earth powders has continued, but the (literal) end (of the layout) is in sight! Also, I've hung a gate, painted a door, swept a pavement, laid a path. Might dig a pond soon, you never know :)

No changes on rolling stock, still waiting on a Mousa for Midland wagons and inspiration for a GWR loco. Currently wondering why bother with any more motive power at all, as I already have two gorgeous and expensive locos and can only run one at a time anyway - what more could I need?! Wagon kits however... :)

• Like 6

Recently, on a thread I follow, a photo was posted giving excellent reference for a hand-lever and crank operated turnout*. I didn't copy it anywhere, on the grounds I visit the thread so often I'd be bound to remember, or at least come across it again before I needed it.

*the intended subject was something dull and common, like a loco....oooooh hang on... 

Can I find it? Can I hell.  Can I find anything as good through Google? Not even close.

So, advice/pics on the best way to lay this lot out please:

20220805_170631.jpg.3dee0e481dc4e50e1550687970946a47.jpg

Abs no prep done for the pic, all looking a bit WIP (which it is!). There's timber available if required, plenty of wire length etc, open to any and all suggestions while I make up the other two...

Cheers!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Schooner said:

Test run:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.471376c865937b7710ee35a45a04f266.gif

I got distracted whilst hoovering the layout...and now need to order another pack of these levers! I quite like the effect they make, and they're not too tricky to make up. I'd appreciate advice on their installation though - prototype or model!

Cheers, till next time!

Schooner,

Who produces these please?

Khris

• RMweb Gold

I've been looking forward to an update, and wasn't disappointed!

I particularly like the tracks from the horse-drawn vehicles, they work well I think, especially because they are not just random tracks but show a repeated pattern, very nice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

Progress!

...just no proof, as my phone has decided to stop recognising the file format of its own photos. You'll just have to take my word for it the bridge is finished, embedded in the landscape, and earth textured (roughly equal mix of chinchilla dust, Treemendus Earth Powder and wood ash). This marks the final 'feature' item, on land at least, with the jobs list now being handed to the Set Decorating and Props Depts :)

The (disused) mill race and feed pond have been excavated, lined and had a first shallow pour of Woodland Scenics Realistic Water. A little improbable, but useful test site for all things water and foliage. More info when there's been enough learned to report back.

On foliage: static grass applicator, grass and an embarrasing value of pre-made flowers have arrived. Tomorrow is for fitting the final point levers, all being well, but after that it'll be the first pass at greenery! The 00 scale flora looks comically large (waist-high daffodils...) but the N stuff looks great...if a little less distinctive. Hopefully it should help set the layout on a sunny Spring midday.

So, scenery-wise I think I've got a plan from here to near-enough-finished. Who'da thunk it! At some point might even get round to playing trains...

Back before long with some pics, hopefully...

• Like 14
  • Funny 1