Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

This is the first time I've seen this layout and I'm in love with it - thank you for sharing your progress, I look forward to each as it progresses. I'm a huge fan of the muted and light palette you've utilised, it's distinctive and lends an airiness to the layout which (though aided by the relatively uncluttered spaciousness) is just delightful.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I agree, it looks very good.

Also interesting to see how the grass doesn't look too stark with the sandy earth colour. That's one reason I've been sparing with grass on my own layouts, but you prove that it doesn't have to be a problem.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/11/2022 at 14:45, Schooner said:

20221105_124549.jpg.0713984d0747614caee70010146fa2cf.jpg

20221105_124300.jpg.ae96dc9ce9162ed7f2b86fe53d6ec287.jpg

Hope you're well on the way to full recovery?

The ground work and grass is extremely convincing, and the tufts are a splendid touch of realism that I'm going to unashamedly emulate when the time comes!

Cheers,

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/11/2022 at 03:45, Schooner said:

Three weeks laid up with a trashed back, which has been frustrating, but for the last few days I've been able to hack 10-minute stints working on the layout.

Back injuries are the worst and I hope I never suffer one again.  Best wishes for a good recovery Schooner.

What you did with those tiny clumps of grass is just so perfect.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Annie said:

Back injuries are the worst and I hope I never suffer one again.  Best wishes for a good recovery Schooner.

What you did with those tiny clumps of grass is just so perfect.

Agreed, I trapped a nerve once and every now and then it was like someone had cut all my wires below the waist and my legs would give out. It lasted about two weeks and I simply woke up one morning and it had freed itself. I've had some truly life threatening moments in my time, but that was one of the few times I was genuinely frightened.

Hope you're soon back to normal (or better than).

• Friendly/supportive 10

Not at all @Compound2632, your evangelism knowledge of and support for the Midland was a major factor in this whole scheme coming together in the first place, for which I'm grateful. As for modelling...it's very definitely my first rodeo, 'valuable learning opportunities' abound!

@Barclay and @MrWolf thanks both, that's ideal. Packs of each on their way for a bit of a play.

Looking at some inspiration from Brimscombe for weathering the mills/warehouses, the louvred roof vents stood out:

2508_3648x2736_254+7863.jpg

which might be a nice option to break up the rooflines at the back of the layout. If I was @Mikkel there'd be no issue:

image.png.7809c2bf0a53cc00a2963878b5c99f05.png

But trapped as I am in the realm of the possible, I assumed one of the 3D-print suppliers would have something useable. The closest I've found to date is

lx449-oo-engine-shed-goods-shed-roof-ven

from Scale Model Scenery. Not really the thing. It's hardly a show-stopper but if anyone's come across something suitable, I'd be interested to hear about it.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I came across this, it is H0 and I think in the US, but at least shows that it can be 3D printed: 

https://www.rail-scale-models.com/3D-Printed-Cupola-Roof-Vent-~-HO-Scale

Maybe someone closer to these shores could be coaxed into doing them?

There are also the ones on the old Hornby goods shed, but even if you find some cheap secondhand kits you'd need several and the shape is not quite what you are after.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Wills kit SS66 of a Public Toilet has a similar top to it but it is also more oblong. I don't know if Peco would supply just that sprue?

https://peco-uk.com/products/public-toilets

If not, it is something you could commission from one of the 3d suppliers, some of them will give you one item free in return for supplying them with a full set of drawings that allows them to produce the item.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

...some of them will give you one item free in return for supplying them with a full set of drawings that allows them to produce the item.

Well, that's useful information to have! Certainly better than

WTFShapeways.jpg.5abdc8930894a4bf86b07e8b9ac3535b.jpg

...that!

What with having a bit more time than usual, I recently downloaded Fusion 360, found a Youtube tutorial series and have some hopes of getting to grips with the wild and wonderful world of CAD and 3D printing. Whilst my plank-on-frame ship modelling could use the practice, why not learn a new skill? No immediate plans to buy a printer, but a cupola might make a good first project, and by the time I get around to it @Din's 3D printing marketplace might be up and running!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow, that's a tad steepish. I also need a similar pair for my stables and having found nothing suitable on-line was resigned to scratch building them, time being not a big issue. However, it may be useful to ask some questions, so I'll drop Justin a line at SMS.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Schooner, I would offer to do the CAD for you  this week but I am still completely wiped out by Long Covid combined with 2 Herniated (slipped) discs and 1 where it is pressing on my Spinal cord. I am doing a very convincing impression of Quasimodo at the moment.🙄

The shape is quite boxy so is feasible in TinkerCad which is an online 3d work space (used by school children so I can just about manage it, I'm 59🙄) I did a church bell tower which incorporated the same style of Louvres , but that was octagonal.

If I can I will try and see if I can adapt it, but I don't know when I will be able to do it. Even sitting at a computer tires me out at the moment.

Simon 

• Friendly/supportive 6

3 hours ago, Schooner said:

Well, that's useful information to have! Certainly better than

WTFShapeways.jpg.5abdc8930894a4bf86b07e8b9ac3535b.jpg

...that!

What with having a bit more time than usual, I recently downloaded Fusion 360, found a Youtube tutorial series and have some hopes of getting to grips with the wild and wonderful world of CAD and 3D printing. Whilst my plank-on-frame ship modelling could use the practice, why not learn a new skill? No immediate plans to buy a printer, but a cupola might make a good first project, and by the time I get around to it @Din's 3D printing marketplace might be up and running!

'OW MUCH? The shipping alone makes me laugh!

Yes, hoping to have it up and running sooner than later. Unfortunately my partner in crime informs me that something has gone slightly wrong in the coding and considering there's around 300k lines of code in the whole shebang, it's going to take him a little bit to find exactly where its going wrong. He should get a chance in the next couple of weeks, but usual caveat of new dad, dayjob etc.

Edit: and for some context? I'd do them probably for a fiver... postage included as a pair like that can go into a padded envelope and be fine.

Edited by Din
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Graham T said:

The prices some of these chancers think they can get away with never cease to amaze me...

Sadly seems to be the case with shapeways.

The shipping is the biggrest insult.

• Agree 1

Hell, @simonmcp that's quite the combo! Fingers x'd for a smooth road from here to recovery for you. As for CAD, that's incredibly kind of you but please don't feel the need to on my account - there's no rush for them at all, and I could do with the incentive to get to grips with Fusion :)

@Din no dramas at all mate, just thought I'd give a gentle reminder that we haven't forgotten about your project whilst things have been quiet. Sounds like a great idea, but if it were easy we'd all be doing it!

No progress yesterday, but some thinking time. The middle of the layout is currently pretty bare:

1667587835_TheMiddleGround.jpg.276c609e3e9b3697cc2779df93554ba2.jpg

(as per, very WIP etc etc etc)

With apologies to those who've been following for a while, and have seen all this before, at the front is planned a coaling scene inspired by this photo from Frank Gegg's coal concern at Cirencester, 1904:

0_MLR_GLO_cirencester-basin07-01-2021.jp

Lots to take from this, but note the office and weighbridge in the background - what looks a lot like a ground van body between the bloke with the pole in the bow of the boat and the background billboards.

When we think of weighbridges, it's normally this sort of thing which springs to mind

D8_painted_3.jpg

which is all well and good, but not appropriate for the modeled bit of Ingleford on any level. Something like this, however,

405930790_Geggbridge.jpg.3a0cd4c005de48f9ddb47cf27f57a20e.jpg

might be. A hut barely tall enough to stand up in (could it in fact be a grounded van body?) , and with a plate barely large enough for a cart...that fits the tone more, and there might be room for it. Joey was, apparently, Frank's favourite horse.

'Cos it's a brilliant pic, and for cart detail:

geggcoalmercant001-copy_orig.jpg

And a little bit on the man himself, for interest:

Every canal wharf had to have its haulier; otherwise cargoes could not be shifted to and from their final destinations. Frank Gegg of Cirencester was no doubt typical. The Gegg family had various interests in Cirencester, and in 1889 Frank started a coal merchant's business on the canal wharf. While at first he probably relied on water-borne coal, he soon had to find alternatives, and much of it must of come by rail instead. He continued in business until 1921 and then probably sold out to a rival. It was under his initiative that the narrow boat Staunch brought coal into Cirencester in 1904.

So that's one option to add a little more interest away from the canal edge. Looking at some other local traders along the Stroudwater and Thames and Severn Canal, eg

WilliamKneeAdvert1867.jpg JamesSmartLetterhead1894.jpg

from 1867 and 1894 respectively, suggests another. 

The little old Cambrian 2-plank seen above is to have a load of slates fitted at some point; the trow will probably be unloading roadstone from Chepstow way*. This means a small stacking ground for slates and stone towards the rear of the wharf would be appropriate, coherent, and quite controllable in terms of visual impact.

As yet undecided, and no idea how to model any of the above, but those are my thoughts at the moment. Yours?

*Trows predominantly carried coal, but stone was a notable second in terms of quantity shifted. Coal being taken care of by the longboat, this seemed a sensible load to give her. Coal, stone, corn and Baltic/Canadian softwoods were the main inbound cargos to the region - by canal, and subsequently rail - with local timber being the sole regular outbound cargo.

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

The pound is screwing you over, too.   I show $38 to the USA

Shapeways also has a US based production facility in New York State. 

2 hours ago, Schooner said:

@Din no dramas at all mate, just thought I'd give a gentle reminder that we haven't forgotten about your project whilst things have been quiet. Sounds like a great idea, but if it were easy we'd all be doing it!

Yegods, don't I know it! :P