Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

#13-19 ...

Meh.jpg.8362d8833cd3788284d08f6d6d03702f.jpg

...showing some evidence of my running battle with T.B. Wild Esq. Still, it's done and nothing that can't be tidied up at some point.

The little lugs in the axleguards are locating tabs which fit slots in the floor, which were previously hidden to my casual glance by patina and shadow (and, in one case, glue).

Iron looks like it's being held up to the camera but is resting on the solebar...not the most delicate bit of kit. The unit itself is one of those £20 variable temperature jobbies that absolutely nobody recommends. This sort of carry-on...

71-Qxs37kNS._AC_SX679_.jpg

...but a generation or two older. I can't recomment it either...but it's fine, and it was cheap! Though if more brass kits are in my future, then I really must get some new and finer tips.

Annnnyway, on to important stuff.

7 hours ago, IanM78 said:

The actual crane at Cirencester Wharf was an interesting design.

This is excellent! A bit much for layout, sadly, but what a beast  babe  beauty! I'd love to know more about it, and like Wolfie would've loved to have seen it in action. Do you have any more info? Google pickings are pretty sparse at first look.

Re the Ingleford* brace**, thanks for crane input all. Updates to follow as and when for further comment and review. All much appreciated.

*I've been using the name every post to try to get used to it. Haven't. Alternative names for the layout invited :)

** Quite apart from meaning two, 'brace' would make for a decent collective noun. For the bird it's 'herd' or 'sedge', apparently, in case anyone else wondered.

2 hours ago, Annie said:

How often do you see details like that on a model railway.

A lot more frequently now @KNP's shown us the way:

2225574F-D0BF-4123-AAB4-1D77F57D2CCF.jpe

(Pic from the ever-exquisite, ever-inspirational Little Muddle)

Cheers and gone!

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw this today and thought of you...IMG_1735.jpeg.c0f53cf596ec1d30b1b204e4e9cdc97e.jpeg

(At the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists - not my line of business, but they rent out meeting rooms and I had a meeting there. These hoists are high up in what is now an atrium, but used to be the 4th floor or so of a warehouse, near London Bridge)

Nick.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

11 hours ago, Schooner said:

This is excellent! A bit much for layout, sadly, but what a beast  babe  beauty! I'd love to know more about it, and like Wolfie would've loved to have seen it in action. Do you have any more info? Google pickings are pretty sparse at first look.

I'll have to look through my books on the canal and see if there's anything else I can find on it.  I'm sure I've seen a drawing of it somewhere but may be mistaken. The Stroudwater and Thames & Severn canals (now known as the Cotswold Canals) are a bit of a passion of mine.  I've been following your topic for a while now and really didn't want my first post on a railway modeling forum to be canal related but couldn't resist!

• Like 1

On 22/11/2022 at 08:59, MrWolf said:

I was a part of the discussion on Warren branch when the goods shed crane was being discussed, particularly about how the real thing operates. I did provide a number of pictures and diagrams, including a sketch of how the drive rope is rigged with a double pass over the drum in some cases, both ends being secured to the bottom drum, rather than one end to the pulley.

To be honest I didn't spot that your model has a lower drive to the large pulley, there being a horse in the way. 

There certainly are lightweight cranes operated from a loop chain in the same way as a chain block, but in the case of your crane, no. 

The canal crane is built in such a way that all of the gearing is at ground level,as is the actual lift drum. What you have has a separate lift drum at the top, driven and geared down by a second drum at ground level, so the large pulley is part of the equation of the gearing. 

I don't think that it will look out of place at all once painted and detailed as you say, the black paint makes it stand out too much.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

16 hours ago, magmouse said:

I saw this today and thought of you...

I'm touched! Nice shot, great hoists - presumably the back wall of the hop warehouse(s), which used to open on to the delivery yard? London-centric ideas are still being worked on in the background btw, so this is really very helpful, thank you.

Speaking of very helpful, @IanM78 that's brilliant! Did I hear right that it's the only operationally-restored crane of its type? Annoyingly, check out the size of (what I've previously called) the head stays...! I'm very glad you chose to break cover, please always feel free to mention anything you think is relevant [EDIT: or, indeed irrelevant as long as it's interesting], railway or canal or whatever. I'm not very good at posting about railways either... :) On which, I'm sure I'm not alone in being interested in more info on the Cirencester crane, but it's only for curiosity's sake so please don't go to any trouble especially.

I don't suppose you've come across the Midland Railway's idea of buying the canal, draining it - well, neglecting to interfere with the canal's habit of draining itself - and running tracks along it instead? I think it was in the 1860s, designed to challenge the GWR's route from Gloucester via Stroud, and I'm sure I've seen a preliminary survey done for the MR. An interesting little what-if...

Anyway, welcome!

Breaking*

20221123_122758.jpg.41e484dc80fede6c6577568aecaabaf0.jpg

Heaps exciting!

*So to speak

Olds

20221123_122913.jpg.1e50c9703d22a838bd9fb293c56a6be5.jpg

News

20221123_123049.jpg.406bc91089d1b6be551bd50a09463953.jpg20221123_125844.jpg.86926fdd6fc4fa02cb96f1337c582fb5.jpg

The package from 5&9 may or may not have contained more than a pair of gates.

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, IanM78 said:

That explains it better than I could, it's really impressive to see one of the simple type restored and actually being used. I know of at least three around here but they've all been bolted or welded to stop anyone trying to use them.

• Friendly/supportive 1

That's an awful lot of brake gear you've managed to cram in there and as we are looking at it on screens it's easy to forget how small everything is.

Top job.

Just remember that it's not bad language. 

It's Task Appropriate Profanity.

• Agree 9

4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's Task Appropriate Profanity.

Very much this. 

Combining the two comments, it struck me that never before have I sworn so vehemently at something so small. In terms of Profanity per Gram* it's probably the most densly verbally abused object I've ever done battle with. Not sure what that really says about it or me, but there we are.

*Other scales are available

• Friendly/supportive 7

It probably says that the model is somewhat intricate but your determination is greater. I struggle to hold parts that small steady for long enough. I'm okay with electronic components but tiny bits of brass, they're a problem. 

The brake shoes on my AA16 are going to be fun!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Not too bad if you're happy to stick with those provided with the kit:

Holes.thumb.jpg.9382bcf2fe3c5665a7875342

Given the work you've had to do to get a functional kit (/functional AA16) out of what was in the bag, I'd say the hardest is behind you :)

Edited by Schooner
The pic also shows a warning to fit the tiesbars properly so they don't cant the rocking axle over to one side permanently...
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

That's a useful shot I'm not aiming to build a compensated chassis, as I'm running on fairly coarse OO track, but I will be using the brass etches to convert it into post great war condition with clasp brakes, so a little more hacking about of the brake gear is called for.

I may have to use about a month's ration of ****s and ****s...

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Very nice. I do like horseboxes. Although looking at that last photo where it mixes with the riff-raff, it strikes me that horseboxes are the petty bourgeoisie of rolling stock. 🙂

You asked for comments. The paintwork looks a little stippled in the close-ups, which may not be a problem at normal viewing distances, but I've noticed you like close-ups. I wonder if the paintwork would benefit from rubbing down and giving it another go? I take absolutely no responsibility, just a thought!

• Like 2

On 26/11/2022 at 06:37, Mikkel said:

...it strikes me that horseboxes are the petty bourgeoisie of rolling stock.

Highbrow. It was a bit of a surprise to see how big it looks in this context, having seen it dwarfed by almost everything on layouts set post-1900, let alone post-Grouping!

I wonder if the paintwork would benefit from rubbing down and giving it another go?

Agreed. Possible reasons for this:

• black spray primer applied over the top of grey spray primer from the very end of the rattle can, so itself an uneven coat
  • dirty nozzle
  • cold
  • too much for a dusting, but not enough coats for complete coverage.

...all of which can be mitigated/improved. I just wanted to get the bulk of it covered and sealed, knowing I'd be taking a bit of a break over the weekend and next week, but agree it would benefit from a better primer coat (rattle can) to support a better topcoat (brushed). Any other tips most welcome!

I'd quite like the N6 to look a bit sexier than the Siphon, despite nominally being the same base livery. Looking at that photo, coach brown and black ironwork w/ satin varnish over matt black frames and undergubbins. Shy of any good references for lining, that'll be enough to mark it out as a bit special for now.

I've noticed you like close-ups

I'm not sure "like" is quite right! They're highly effective at showing up areas of improvement, so are useful...but they're definitely not flattering!

I'll be leaving the N6 alone for now. I need to have a clear up of the bench, do some more on the layout itself, finish the 'box and the brake van, and get ready for a painting session... Not my favourite, but there's only one way to get better, and it'd be nice to start moving at least some items past the "Meh, maybe 70% finished" stage.

For today, a nice little diversion:

Bits.jpg.5e8f78dc114ff4f4d07483019efef1f7.jpg

Flup.jpg.3ff5f08ab4f4dc79572ef5bea8b2383b.jpg

Safe as 'ouses! For reference, these are Intentio Supers (670mm). For my purposes Larges (500mm) will be fine, but I wanted to make sure the system is overspec for safety's sake. So far, so good...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4