Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Liverpool and Manchester 'Lion'

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

How much of the Titfield sets will be unseen when they are finally released?

That only matters if you have to be first surely? 

We will be the first to get them in the Titfield guise so actually you’ll still be first 😉

Time to buy the Peco Monkton Combe kit and make a nice display plank too 😁

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That looks lovely! Another one waiting patiently for the Titfield version.

I note the boiler join has been mentioned, but I see that the coal in the tender doesn't look very "lumpy"? Might need some creativity to add real coal with the angle it is at.

• Like 2

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Might need some creativity to add real coal with the angle it is at.

Brace the tender at an angle to 'level' it until set and ,yes, it would look better with real coal.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Brace the tender at an angle to 'level' it until set and ,yes, it would look better with real coal.

Oh yeah - that's pretty obvious now you mention it ☺️

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

But if it was the 'real' Lion it would need coke, No?

Oh, that makes it easier, I can get real coke from the co-op. And my mate Dave says he can get rocks of it but it seems a bit expensive and he's rather cagey about it.

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

41 minutes ago, Isambard Smith said:

I await the arrival of my lion with much excitement...but a sudden thought occurred to me; Ive nothing for it to pull!

Any suggestions for suitable rolling stock? Ive seen some of the Hornby l&mr offerings and wasn't much impressed.

Thank you!

You could use a couple or 3 of Hornbys  LNWR 6  wheel coaches or the Hattons equivalent if you have ordered the early version!

• Like 1

On 26/07/2023 at 13:05, billbedford said:

But if it was the 'real' Lion it would need coke, No?

Only in the very early days, they switched to coal soon after it was built. That's when it got the other type of firebox which Hornby does. Sorry, I don't know the exact date of the change over.

The haystack on Lion is a fake, there is a smaller "round top" firebox inside it.

I've fired it and I can assure you it was with coal.

Jason

• Like 4

Lion was built in 1838 and sold to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board in 1859. Brick arches, which allowed locos to burn coal, were introduced during the 1850s. The midland adopted them in 1858, I'm not sure when the LNWR did the same. But we safely assume that the 20 years Lion was owned by the L&M it was a coke burner. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Lion was built in 1838 and sold to the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board in 1859. Brick arches, which allowed locos to burn coal, were introduced during the 1850s. The midland adopted them in 1858, I'm not sure when the LNWR did the same. But we safely assume that the 20 years Lion was owned by the L&M it was a coke burner. 

Rebuilt in 1847 according to the official history, the one published by Merseyside County Museums when it was restored to working order.

It also states it never had a brick arch when "discovered" which suggests the boiler pre dates 1860.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've fired it and I can assure you it was with coal.

But when you fired it, it probably wasn't meeting the emissions standards of the 1840s/50s (!) which forced the railway companies to use coke, until the brick arch was introduced - or various other weird and wonderful attempts to improve combustion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tiddles47 said:

I got mine yesterday. Lovely little thing. A marvel in miniature! I hooked up my LMR coaches and it handled them with ease. 

IMG_2287.jpeg

IMG_2288.jpeg

Picked my 1930s version up this morning, now DCC fitted ! what a lovely little model we just need a few more different  ones from that era plus a few bits of rolling stock, a new era for railway modelling !

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, johnd said:

Picked my 1930s version up this morning, now DCC fitted ! what a lovely little model we just need a few more different  ones from that era plus a few bits of rolling stock, a new era for railway modelling !

Oh, i think you'll find there's quite a lot of stuff suitable for the 1930s era available RTR...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

An total delight of a model - that has instantly set about finding every piece of poorly laid track on my layout! Once some fettling was completed it looked the absolute business hauling a rake of LMR coaches around. I know it's in it's 1930s appearance rather than it's 1830s appearance but I do want to add my voice to those clamouring for more locos and stock from the early days of the railways. If Lion is any indicator we could get some really special models in the future...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

8 hours ago, Watto1990 said:

An total delight of a model - that has instantly set about finding every piece of poorly laid track on my layout! Once some fettling was completed it looked the absolute business hauling a rake of LMR coaches around. I know it's in it's 1930s appearance rather than it's 1830s appearance but I do want to add my voice to those clamouring for more locos and stock from the early days of the railways. If Lion is any indicator we could get some really special models in the future...

I’ve got a little list, I’ve got a little list…

In money terms it’s a big list. I eliminate things from it for reasons which are sometimes petty but I have to trim it somehow. Consequently, whilst I add my voice to the chorus for more early locos, Lion and Tiger have to be struck off because they are not in reasonably early condition (whatever that was). Rocket was a different matter.

• Like 4

My own Lion, 1980's version, turned up today and I must say that it's a cracking little engine.  Well done Rapido for capturing the essence of the loco.

Sadly mine will still have to be returned to the retailer*, one length of chain and hook on the bufferbeam appears to be missing and isn't lying loose inside the box.

*Since writing, have learned that Rapido have an online warranty form so have filled that in instead.

Edited by JonathonAG
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, JonathonAG said:

My own Lion, 1980's version, turned up today and I must say that it's a cracking little engine.  Well done Rapido for capturing the essence of the loco.

Sadly mine will still have to be returned to the retailer*, one length of chain and hook on the bufferbeam appears to be missing and isn't lying loose inside the box.

*Since writing, have learned that Rapido have an online warranty form so have filled that in instead.

You beat me to it but yes I was going to say the direct warranty form is often easier to resolve issues:
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

You beat me to it but yes I was going to say the direct warranty form is often easier to resolve issues:
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/warranty-form/

Well to follow up, within half an hour of filling it in, Dan at Rapido was in touch and looking to send a new chain and hook out.  I was offered the ability to send the entire loco back, but I'm more than happy fitting the piece myself on arrival.

Very impressed by the warranty team!

• Like 8

Mine arrived today  

If you have the sound version there's a nice Easter Egg on F8 (not gonna spoil it by saying what it is)

Also if you have the sound version and access to a LOK Programmer, then you can enable the guards / conductors whistle and flange squeal sounds (I think flange squeal may be a random sound anyway but the guards whistle is not)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just opened mine today and was alarmed to see it was not secure in its clam shell, sitting front high out it's stoppers. Sliding the sleeve off the metal fall plate fell (ironic!) out. I examined it and noticed it would be easily put back on. I took the tender out first as it was stuck to the clam shell's top half, I then replaced the fall plate on its hinges. Next I went to pick the loco up and saw a footplate side had come off. Must have been a rough journey for this one. The side was checked and placed back in position to be glued later. The right hand safety valve had also been knocked out its locating hole so was put back in. Everything else was fine and nothing else was loose or missing. It has quite a pleasant weight to it and should be a solid runner. Can't help but feel more than 8 sound functions is somewhat under using the sound decoder for those not wanting the Titfield version. 🤔

Neil.

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, zoomer1979 said:

Just opened mine today and was alarmed to see it was not secure in its clam shell, sitting front high out it's stoppers. Sliding the sleeve off the metal fall plate fell (ironic!) out. I examined it and noticed it would be easily put back on. I took the tender out first as it was stuck to the clam shell's top half, I then replaced the fall plate on its hinges. Next I went to pick the loco up and saw a footplate side had come off. Must have been a rough journey for this one. The side was checked and placed back in position to be glued later. The right hand safety valve had also been knocked out its locating hole so was put back in. Everything else was fine and nothing else was loose or missing. It has quite a pleasant weight to it and should be a solid runner. Can't help but feel more than 8 sound functions is somewhat under using the sound decoder for those not wanting the Titfield version. 🤔

Neil.

Dare we not ask who the delivery partner was ?