The Siphon G, by Accurascale - From Milk To Mail!

• RMweb Gold

My Enparts liveried one arrived this afternoon.  All I can say, it’s worth waiting for a very long time for it. Absolutely superb. Well done Accurascale, another triumph. Really pleased that I have some more coming via Paul at Alton Model Centre

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 2

• Tempfix

If any consolation for those who haven't got theirs yet, mine came and was hidden by my wife before I got home so my children can give it me for fathers day!!

I suppose that doesn't stop me ordering another though...

Rich

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mine arrived this morning, my notification of pending delivery from DHL appeared while I was having breakfast, with a time slot which was nice and early, before we go out. The next thing I know, I've had the 'Your parcel has been delivered' email. No knock on the door, no ring of the bell, no signature given (despite what the email says). A quick check of our video doorbell and there we see the driver walk up to the door, put the parcel down, take his photo and walk away, no attempt to attract our attention whatsoever! Good job it wasn't raining, and that we were in! 

Thoroughly please with my Siphon, though I've only managed a quick peep! The inclusion of the postcards provided sufficient distraction for Seb to enable me to give the G a quick once-over, top marks indeed!

20230527_080740.jpg.5d3a00dd10a458faaa0ceffc96ade9b5.jpg

It'll get a full inspection, later!

Cheers

J

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, JaymzHatstand said:

No knock on the door, no ring of the bell, no signature given (despite what the email says). A quick check of our video doorbell and there we see the driver walk up to the door, put the parcel down, take his photo and walk away, no attempt to attract our attention whatsoever! Good job it wasn't raining, and that we were in! 

I've long been irritated by this kind of behaviour from so many courier companies, in contrast to Royal Mail who do seem to take more care of packages (at least in terms of not leaving them unattended on doorsteps).

I know it's 'the times we live in' and that 'if they didn't do it this way, their business model would probably not make sense' but it seems so wrong that the couriers can be so cavalier with our property that we have bought and paid for with our hard-earned money.

So, I was just wondering - does Accurascale have any influence or sway over their chosen courier (apart from choosing a different carrier), should customers be dissatisfied with the way that their purchases are delivered?

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

14 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Really worth complaining about? I am in the same boat and accept that it takes times to process all orders. It seems people, like me, who ordered the Enparts  model have had to wait, perhaps there was an issue with that pallet?

Anyhow, it seems those are now being shipped. 

Roy

I do sort of get it, I've paid for mine a couple of months ago and still no notification here, and it's Bank Holiday weekend... but it is what it is, its only slight feelings of jealousy that some have got theirs already even if they were paid for after mine. I'm sure though they will prove to be worth the wait.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Likewise, I paid for mine last September so it's a bit raw to see people enjoying theirs already when they only ordered them this week. However the customer service team at Accurascale have been excellent and, by the sounds of it, the Siphons are equally as excellent. I do hope I get a DHL notification soon though...

Edited by Henry 84F
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Ordered maroon Dia. O.33 in Aug 2022. Delivered 0830 hours yesterday morning by DHL. Impressed - yes - so much so that I have now ordered Dia. O.59 in maroon. Thanks Accurascale. Now for the Manor - yum yum.

Edited by geoffers
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I've long been irritated by this kind of behaviour from so many courier companies, in contrast to Royal Mail who do seem to take more care of packages (at least in terms of not leaving them unattended on doorsteps).

I know it's 'the times we live in' and that 'if they didn't do it this way, their business model would probably not make sense' but it seems so wrong that the couriers can be so cavalier with our property that we have bought and paid for with our hard-earned money.

So, I was just wondering - does Accurascale have any influence or sway over their chosen courier (apart from choosing a different carrier), should customers be dissatisfied with the way that their purchases are delivered?

I guess its more down to your local courier than DHL as a whole.  For me DHL and DPD are without a doubt the best (but not better than RM), whereas Evri and UPS are atrocious where I live

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Henry 84F said:

I paid for mine last September so it's a bit raw to see people enjoying theirs already when they only ordered them this week.

If they had to wait for every version to be there before starting to fulfill orders, strictly in the order that orders were made and/or paid for, they would probably have barely got started with despatching anything. In the meantime they've got on with sending complete orders to who they can.

That's why you and I don't work in logistics.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

If they had to wait for every version to be there before starting to fulfill orders, strictly in the order that orders were made and/or paid for, they probably have barely got started with despatching anything. In the meantime they've got on with sending complete orders to who they can.

That's why you and I don't work in logistics.

Absolutely - an unenviable task! Looking forward to seeing mine soon 😊

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Henry 84F said:

an unenviable task!

Absolutely. If you see any Facebook posts about Siphons people have received you'll find comments where customers haven't had their 37s crying (that haven't even landed yet). Fulfillment doesn't work on the basis of who's tossing their teddies furthest.

• Like 10
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

My goodness imagine all the complaints to OFMAS when Santa gets it wrong does he go be alphabetical Country, biggest population, biggest bank balance. Decisions Decisions 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🥴🥴🥴🥴🤭🤭🤭🤣🤣🤣

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Sadly, round my way, some of the Royal Mail staff will just leave parcels on the doorstep without even ringing. Our usual postie is good, but sadly (for me, not him)  doesn’t work 7 day week. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

I mean there are people that have repainted - dismembered - weathered (Why??) their Siphons

Are you asking why someone might weather, or otherwise alter their factory fresh Siphon? 

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Jack P said:

Are you asking why someone might weather, or otherwise alter their factory fresh Siphon? 

To personalise it perhaps? Or possibly if they have two to make them different to the vehicle running next to them.

I am likely to change the roof to grey and maybe some other weathering as well.... we will see!

I'm very envious that everyone has received theirs already... mine will arrive (in Spain) together with the Manor loco... soon 😎

• Like 3

Duplicating my post from my own layout topic: "... freshly arrived today (Sunday) are my two Accurascale Siphon G vans. I ordered a maroon one for the late 1950s to 1960s trains, and the TOPS coded blue one for the 1970s onwards. However, the blue one doesn't seem to have the TOPS code on it (not in any obvious places, anyway), so I can safely get away with mixing that and the maroon one into a late 1960s early 1970s train if I want.

The LT pannier was still doing laps of my upper level when I wanted to photograph the Siphons, so this is not intended to be a prototypical train."

I am in Australia, so the delivery time was excellent. Thanks Accurascale and DHL.

20230528_173209.jpg.af4d7651cf5c9509336c1be76098eca9.jpg

20230528_173217.jpg.116ae182f35d45bd86646bada2e4d329.jpg

20230528_173227.jpg.c99b3ec657eaf96790b71f65930590c3.jpg

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Jack P said:

The post needs to be read as a whole - I was using it (amusingly) to illustrate the position that some had received Siphons and done the deed and some hadn't even received theirs yet to do or not do whatever .................. Also I am rubbish at weathering so don't 👌 - I am great at scratchbuilding wagons but when it comes to painting & weathering not so much. Changing the coupling for something else is about my level 🤦‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 24/05/2023 at 15:28, DRoe96 said:

Has anyone worked out how to fit the detailed pipes in the accessory bag? I was looking for holes in the buffer beam but can't see any...

Was there an answer to this question?

• RMweb Gold
On 27/05/2023 at 16:40, Roy Langridge said:

Sadly, round my way, some of the Royal Mail staff will just leave parcels on the doorstep without even ringing. Our usual postie is good, but sadly (for me, not him)  doesn’t work 7 day week. 

Roy

Takes all sorts and they seem to work for any firm.  One bloke saved knocking on the door a couple of days ago by throwing the parcel he was delivering at the door.   Fortunately it was an additional bin in which to stor bird food in the porch after foxy helped himself to a pile of it over the past week or so.  And I knew it had been delivered when I heard the thud as it hit the door.

White van, no marking, so goodness only knows who it actually was doing the end delivery as lots of them seem to be doing it on some sort of sub-contract.  generally Royal mail are pretty good and a recent delivery of plumbing components by Fedex was highly profesional, the driver was even wearing an official Fedex uniform shirt.  The chap who had the DHL contract in this area used to employ over a dozen drivers for delivery work all using their own or hired vehicles and his standards were very high - any problems and that was the end of the culprit.

• Friendly/supportive 3

On 28/05/2023 at 10:33, SRman said:

... and the TOPS coded blue one for the 1970s onwards. However, the blue one doesn't seem to have the TOPS code on it (not in any obvious places, anyway), so I can safely get away with mixing that and the maroon one into a late 1960s early 1970s train if I want...

20230528_173209.jpg.af4d7651cf5c9509336c1be76098eca9.jpg

20230528_173217.jpg.116ae182f35d45bd86646bada2e4d329.jpg

20230528_173227.jpg.c99b3ec657eaf96790b71f65930590c3.jpg

Just for everyone's general info, TOPS codes weren't added to parcels stock until mid to late 1977. The Newspaper branding was added to the Siphons at the same time. The Newspaper vans started having their slats plated over from around 1975 and gained electric heating from early 1976 so my two Newspaper vans (for October 1976) need to have the branding and TOPS codes removed. As per the photo of W1013 below by Suthen Softy on Flickr:

1001 Western Pathfinder leaves Bodmin Road with the up parcels.

along with W1010 and W1324 from the Transport Treasury site:

https://zenfolio.page.link/upDv1

https://zenfolio.page.link/UT95P

Another photo of W1324 on the same site has the same date as the photo above but is branded so I believe it is incorrectly dated.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

12 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

To personalise it perhaps? Or possibly if they have two to make them different to the vehicle running next to them.

I am likely to change the roof to grey and maybe some other weathering as well.... we will see!

I'm very envious that everyone has received theirs already... mine will arrive (in Spain) together with the Manor loco... soon 😎

I'll no doubt have mine to bits, and after seeing what @The Fatadder has done with the M34. I'm tempted to order another.

12 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

The post needs to be read as a whole - I was using it (amusingly) to illustrate the position that some had received Siphons and done the deed and some hadn't even received theirs yet to do or not do whatever .................. Also I am rubbish at weathering so don't 👌 - I am great at scratchbuilding wagons but when it comes to painting & weathering not so much. Changing the coupling for something else is about my level 🤦‍♂️

Ah I see. Was just clarifying the question, you know what it's like trying to interpret tone through the internet! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1