Christmas Cracker Surprise Update

Harlequin

On 27/12/2021 at 14:52, wombatofludham said:

I'm wondering if the announcement is a Leyland National bus, in four versions, 11.3m one and two door, and 10.3m one and two door.  There were plenty of 11.3m Nashers around Birmingham when Jason was a student there.

Given the range of liveries and the fact that the basic bodyshell was seen from nearly Land's End to nearly John O' Groats, it could be a nice little cash cow .

I'd be up for several.  In fact, apart from the APT-E (now sold on) the Daimler Fleetline has been the only Rapido UK products I have bought as I have no interest in any of the railway products, so if they want any more of my money, a Nasher will be the way to do it.

Rapido do high quality 1:160 buses for North America so I think a 1:148 Leyland National would be a winner, given that the wrongly-scaled Farish bus range was such a disappointment.

Edited by 64F

6 hours ago, dibber25 said:

That would give you an excuse to do a deLorean - but you'd better grab the licence for the film version first, just in case anyone else has the same idea...... (CJL)

Forget the deLorean, how about instead a bona fide movie star - Sierra No. 3 - the steam loco used in BttF 3 and a whole bunch of other movies and TV shows - though probably better as a Rapido North America project.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_No._3

• Like 1

Of course, if they DO a Leyland National, they could team up with their friends at Realtrack to do a 140, 141 and that peculiar cut and shut Mk1 with a Leyland National width rebody.

I'd quite like a "rule 1" 141 in WYPTE green and cream even though I only ever saw one in the West Midlands (141001 on test at Walsall in Barrow Corporation Blue and Highland Grey). I did get a ride on one in the green and cream livery from Leeds to Harrogate and enjoyed it immensely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/12/2021 at 18:45, Dungrange said:

I know someone who knows what these announcements are and the only clue I've had is that I probably wont be all that exci

…or your friend is winding you up…

Richard

• Like 1

2 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

TTA for LPG or CO2 would round off a mixed freight from 80s & 90s nicely

Any tanks are probably a winner and IIRC the Distillers CO2 tanks were much sought after.  The benefit of these used to be that they were just a few wagons in a speedlink train. I remember them coming south on a Mossend-Bescot Speedlink then some being tripped to Coleshill and back. 

Tanks for many commodities would be useful -  how about the "vinegar tanks" which ran from Saltend to Baglan Bay hauled by a 37 ? These were a popular train for photographers.

Heavyweight On The Vinegar Tanks.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/56018_Up_Hatherley_2001.htm

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 26/12/2021 at 23:15, Downer said:

A Bridge Over The River Kwai train complete with exploding bridge and miniature Alec Guinness endlessly saying ‘what have I done?’

Followed up by 3 second hand trucks bought cheap and done up, alone with 3 figures of Clarkson, Hammond, & May! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

Followed up by 3 second hand trucks bought cheap and done up, alone with 3 figures of Clarkson, Hammond, & May! 

:nono::nono: Dont start me on the ethics of spending my TV licence fee on sending those 3 to environmentally sensitive places and have them plough it up with crazy stunts....

42 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

:nono::nono: Dont start me on the ethics of spending my TV licence fee on sending those 3 to environmentally sensitive places and have them plough it up with crazy stunts....

Didn’t sending them to Argentina with a provocative numberplate make up for a lot? :jester:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder when these unannounced models will be announced?  as the packages were stated to be on their way to the UK perhaps they might by now have struggled through the Christmas rush and be at Rapido Towers UK for evaluation?  So the question must be when will they be revealed and will it be 10 January before the Hornby announcement just in case a whisper got out and Hrnby are announcing a Railroad version of the same thing? :butcher::jester:

Could RMweb survive the onslaught of eager 'new release' hunters; would RMweb beat Hornby's website for the number of hits in one day; could something else be announced by someone else on the same day 'just in case Hornby announce it';  or will Peco double slips hit the shops that same morning amidst a release of long pent up excitement?   The possibilities are endless.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for getting us back on course Mr SM … more drift in this thread than an episode of Top Gear, guess the probability increases directly with length of time we have to wait for revelations ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Thanks for getting us back on course Mr SM … more drift in this thread than an episode of Top Gear, guess the probability increases directly with length of time we have to wait for revelations ;)

Very apposite Phil, the reason for the book!

Under these conditions, a Christian named John wrote Revelation, addressing it to the seven churches that were in Asia Minor. The purpose of the book was to strengthen the faith of the members of these churches by giving to them the assurance that deliverance from the evil powers arrayed against them was close at hand.

Mike.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 15:18, RichardT said:

Perhaps, but I doubt it. 

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder when these unannounced models will be announced?  as the packages were stated to be on their way to the UK perhaps they might by now have struggled through the Christmas rush and be at Rapido Towers UK for evaluation?  

I don't think everything will be announced at the same time.  My 'contact' got permission from our committee before Christmas to undertake some test running of one of the forthcoming models on one of our club layouts over the Christmas break.  That therefore implies that at least one of the announcements will run on track with a gauge of 16.5 mm.  I presume that means 00, but can't be certain.  However, he also commented that another soon to be announced model won't land until after we have dismantled the layout that is erected at the moment.  I could therefore make the assumption that it is also a 16.5 mm gauge model.  The impression that I got is that one of these models is definitely 'steam era' and the other one may be more modern, but just not modern enough to guarantee my interest: my wallet is safe for now.  Of course, whilst most of my stock is from the post-privatisation era, I sometimes yield to the temptation of buying some 'rule 1' stock, so who knows.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Very apposite Phil, the reason for the book!

Under these conditions, a Christian named John wrote Revelation, addressing it to the seven churches that were in Asia Minor. The purpose of the book was to strengthen the faith of the members of these churches by giving to them the assurance that deliverance from the evil powers arrayed against them was close at hand.

Mike.

So no deliveries for the next 2000 years and a takeover in about 800 years?  Imagine the height of the froth line by then?  :blinkclear:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

. . . . . at least one of the announcements will run on track with a gauge of 16.5 mm.  I presume that means 00, but can't be certain.  

So perhaps my comment a few pages back was correct - why not 7mm Narrow Gauge - although to compete with the announcements from Dapol / Lionheart you also have to include 14mm gauge to be correct for the majority of NG lines which are 2ft gauge - and O14 track is now available from EDM Models.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dungrange said:

On 31/12/2021 at 15:18, RichardT said:

Perhaps, but I doubt it

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Richard

9 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder when these unannounced models will be announced?  as the packages were stated to be on their way to the UK perhaps they might by now have struggled through the Christmas rush and be at Rapido Towers UK for evaluation?  So the question must be when will they be revealed and will it be 10 January before the Hornby announcement just in case a whisper got out and Hrnby are announcing a Railroad version of the same thing? :butcher::jester:

Could RMweb survive the onslaught of eager 'new release' hunters; would RMweb beat Hornby's website for the number of hits in one day; could something else be announced by someone else on the same day 'just in case Hornby announce it';  or will Peco double slips hit the shops that same morning amidst a release of long pent up excitement?   The possibilities are endless.

I rather like this! Given me a good laugh - now watch this space…

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

We are watching Andy!!!! 

Phil, did you actually mean -'Andy, we are watching'  ? :jester:   Or are you indeed watching Andy because if you are then you will know before the rest of us so you can then give us a heads up on which GWR delights are (alas 'aren't' is also available, and probably more accurate) heading our way ;)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Phil, did you actually mean -'Andy, we are watching'  ? :jester:   Or are you indeed watching Andy because if you are then you will know before the rest of us so you can then give us a heads up on which GWR delights are (alas 'aren't' is also available, and probably more accurate) heading our way ;)

Wonderful language, English! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I rather like this! Given me a good laugh - now watch this space…

Why, are you going to show it to us only once?

(think Michelle "of the Résistance" Dubois :wink_mini:)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Are we there yet  or are we still at announcement of announcement stage?  Given that this is twelth night and the decorations are coming down , this crackers taking a long time to go off.  When might we expect actual information?

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1