Christmas Cracker Surprise Update

Harlequin

6 hours ago, phil gollin said:

4:  Something, old and odd - how about decent RCH mineral wagon, suitable to go with the pre-grouping locos being produced ?

RCH wagons to a contemporary standard are a decent bet, I'd say. From a manufacturer's perspective, PO wagons are a good option because many of them had relatively long lives and, of course, carried a lot of different liveries, so there's a lot of repeat potential. There are quite a lot of them already on the market, but most of the tooling is a bit outdated now. But I'm not sure that Bachmann, Hornby et al will want to render their existing tooling obsolete as long as it's still generating sales, so it's more likely that an improved version will come from a new entrant to the market.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Fair enough, I didn't realise that they made more than locos, rolling stock, etc. but to be pedantic,

I would class telegraph poles as infrastructure, not scenery!

The telegraph poles are a legacy product that got discontinued quite a while ago now, I think the explanation was they got too expensive to make.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, mdvle said:

The telegraph poles are a legacy product that got discontinued quite a while ago now, I think the explanation was they got too expensive to make.

I know; they've already disappeared from Rapido's website. My point was really that Rapido have done trackside stuff in the past, so there's no overriding reason why they would never do so again. As with all such things, it depends on what fits their current project plan and what's likely to be profitable.

1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

My point was really that Rapido have done trackside stuff in the past, so there's no overriding reason why they would never do so again. As with all such things, it depends on what fits their current project plan and what's likely to be profitable.

Except Jason discussed scenery items and other non loco/rolling stock items in the Rapido UK Live event and essentially dismissed the idea.

10 hours ago, phil gollin said:

1:  Class 124 Trans-Pennine unit (6-car)  -  In keeping with Rapido's liking for multiple units.  Looks very pretty in either green or blue & grey.

Liking for multiple units?

Other than the APT-E (which was special for various reasons as I recall), everything Rapido has done is a loco / coach / wagon.

And Jason has commented several times regarding how expensive a multiple unit would be and his doubts about the UK market accepting the price.

So never say never, but I don't think we can say Rapido likes multiple units.

• Agree 1

LNER diagram 96 Sentinel railcar please - my dad remembers them from when he was a lad, and cycled from his home near Stocksfield to catch the Prudhoe to Newcastle train. His uncle drove them, and let him keep his bike chained up for the return journey! Would make my dad's day to see one running on my layout. I did attempt the cast metal kit many years ago but it was a spectacular failure :sad_mini:

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Pecketts - me?????

I’m a Leeds loco man through and through.

Plenty of narrow gauge locos built in Leeds - follow the example from Dapol / Lionheart and move into 7mm narrow gauge - after all who would have predicted the success of the Bachmann OO9 range ten years ago . . . . . . 

13 hours ago, jools1959 said:

As there's going to be four announced, knowing Rapido, one will be way, way left field, one will be something Jason likes, one will be mainstream and the last one will something we've all been asking for, for ages.

Worth remembering that Bill is very much GWR (he had a GWR layout).

Also, my guess is that it won't be a DMU/Loco as they are unlikely to have been tooled up without an announcement first based on how Rapido works in the US.

(the exception would be if it is a loco/dmu that they are concerned someone might duplicate deliberately).

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, mdvle said:

Worth remembering that Bill is very much GWR (he had a GWR layout).

Also, my guess is that it won't be a DMU/Loco as they are unlikely to have been tooled up without an announcement first based on how Rapido works in the US.

(the exception would be if it is a loco/dmu that they are concerned someone might duplicate deliberately).

What like an HST?

On 26/12/2021 at 09:03, Kris said:

14xx would fit with other items. 

HST prototype as well.

I wish someone would have another crack at a GWR 0-4-2 Auto Tank, I purchased one of the Hattons breed and that did not go well – literally.

A decent auto coach is needed from somewhere and I wonder if there is potential for producing a set to make up an auto train utilising one of the coach bogies for additional pick-up (small wheelbase locos often suffer) and finding space I the coach for a sound decoder so that the loco can be well ballasted. Some form of link similar to the Dapol Mogul loco / tender coupling would be ideal so that the items could be separated for maintenance. Lighting the coach would be easy, we could even have a clang for the bell.

I think if something could be run up for the same price as a 2 car DMU they should attract interest from customers.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, mdvle said:

Except Jason discussed scenery items and other non loco/rolling stock items in the Rapido UK Live event and essentially dismissed the idea.

So no stable for the shunting horse :notme:

26 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

It is a pure Deeley MR tender.

One of the top men from the Derby drawing office went to the SCER that is why the L1 and the Q look like 2Ps and 4Fs.

There we go a Q. There is a very nice one preserved for someone to do that digital scanning wotsit.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2