Christmas Cracker Surprise Update

Harlequin

26 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Although I remember, quite clearly, using the coins shown,

and remember their names, ha'penny, thru'penny bit, tanner,

I don't remember, or know, what the difference between an

e shilling and an s shilling is! 

English shilling and Scottish shilling. Scottish shillings weren't minted continuously, but were made every now and then.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MarkSG said:

I reckon that, having successfully stolen Hornby's thunder with the Titfield version of Lion, but also having noted Hornby's success with the Coca-Cola branded wagons and train sets, Rapido have done a deal to acquire exclusive rights to a range of Irn-Bru tank wagons.

Now your onto it…

Iron Bru

Tizer

Vimto

Ribena

Just don't do ginger beer, its minging.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

An e shilling is what a Yorkshireman finds on't pavement.

Mike.

I thought it was a new crypto currency.

Being British it’ll be the first one to become rare and hard to find, still come with a limited edition certificate that lots of celebrities seem to get for free. Despite this it will still manage to devalue, and find itself non-British owned over time.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Now your onto it…

Iron Bru

Tizer

Vimto

Ribena

Am I imagining things or didnt Hornby already do a Tizer Tanker ?  Dont want Rapido developing a new one only for Simon Kohler to say its traditionally been a Hornby product and they've been working on it for the last 4 years 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

The e shilling was an early form of cryptocurrency.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

What about farthings ?  With that cute wren on the obverse.

It was used up until 1956, and minted during Elizabeth II's reign, so "should" be in the picture.

The thruppence was my favourite as its feel and weight was so odd.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My guess would be electroplated and silver?

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Now your onto it…

Iron Bru

Tizer

Vimto

Ribena

I’ve never heard of Iron Bru. What’s it like? Irn Bru on the other hand is one of the best non-alcoholic drinks known to man! And we can even get it here in New Zealand! Little taste of home 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’ve never heard of Iron Bru. What’s it like? Irn Bru on the other hand is one of the best non-alcoholic drinks known to man! And we can even get it here in New Zealand! Little taste of home 

Hands up, spell check got me..

Ive been tangoed..

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, mdvle said:

Just think of the wishes that could be answered with Stationmaster and Bill joining forces to create GWR/WR models...

And NYO&W as well - looks like Bill is a beacon of good taste on two different continents when it comes to railways.   And the NYO&W ran milk trains at one time.

9 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

But would we want to go back to the 60's?!!

Mike.

Why are you so worried about modern stuff?   The GWR wasn't just narrow gauge you know - although my 1891 Service Timetable does mention it rather frequently.  And that gives me another idea -  with all this Rapido interest in road transport my timetable from the 1850s not only mentions train to coach connections (to various places) but also includes the names of the coaches so there could be correctly named road vehicles to go with the trains

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/01/2022 at 11:12, The Stationmaster said:

And a potential source of considerable amusement should one be so inclined ;):jester:

I believe we are at the announcement of a possible announcement (or presumably four announcements?) stage and the big problem facing Andy and Richard is one of timing because they need to aim for a date/dates of maximum impact on we ravening hordes of guessers, wishlisters, and potential contributors to their pension fund.

So if they are going to be separate announcements they need to be in the correct order to build interest and minimise  the 'it's not for me' brickbats which could lead to loss of interest in whatever they don't announce first.  They also have to bear in mind the amount of time we will waste spend ploughing through umpteen pages devoted to Hornby's gig although I'm sure that there will be something there for someone there.   So in order to get ahead of the stream, so to speak, maybe those living north of the border might possibly get a surprise arrival as a very late running first footer prior to 'Big H' day?  But more likely they'll announce whatever they are going to announce when they're ready, and not before.  And of course there's nothing to stop them announcing in advance the date on which they will be making the announcement because that hasn't yet been announced. 

This thread seems to have gone off the boil a bit . However if i reference something north of the border with another thread that was running ......then I  think I have the answer 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

A partial answer to the question that has been asked in this thread about when the announcements will happen is in today's Rapido UK newsletter - they are planning a new announcement every month (and they also announced 2 of the items - well I assume it is 2 of the ones they mentioned - in today's newsletter).

46 minutes ago, mdvle said:

A partial answer to the question that has been asked in this thread about when the announcements will happen is in today's Rapido UK newsletter - they are planning a new announcement every month (and they also announced 2 of the items - well I assume it is 2 of the ones they mentioned - in today's newsletter).

Yep, it was they had pre-production models of 4 all new models due to be announced. So we have 2 derived from the SECR 5 & 7 plank wagons. What could the remaining pair be derived from??????? (Was the gunpowder chassis used elsewhere?)

19 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Yep, it was they had pre-production models of 4 all new models due to be announced. So we have 2 derived from the SECR 5 & 7 plank wagons. What could the remaining pair be derived from??????? (Was the gunpowder chassis used elsewhere?)

For added fun for the speculation, Rapido also released a fun new video for their Hunslet model today (it failed to pull a brake van :) ) and Andy was filmed looking through a big GWR wagon book...