Christmas Cracker Surprise Update

Harlequin

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Legend said:

Are we there yet  or are we still at announcement of announcement stage?  Given that this is twelth night and the decorations are coming down , this crackers taking a long time to go off.  When might we expect actual information?

Like all trains it will arrive when it gets here.

Trains run for those who wait, they don't wait for those who run!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

In fairness i said nothing about when they would be announced. The Facebook post that prompted now five pages of guessing was:

We end our Christmas cracker updates with a surprise - even for us!!

Today we received photos of Engineering Samples of not one, not two but FOUR unannounced projects! These will be on their way to the UK for evaluation in the next few days and we can’t wait to see them.

We’re not going to spoil it by telling you what they are - but we would love to know your guesses!

Happy Christmas!

Anyway - they have now arrived in the UK….

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

There are just so many possibilities for a model of a Midland Red bus in this BBC report about the work being done at Wythall to maintain their fleet of buses - especially those that were built by Midland Red as it's now 40 years since the withdrawal of the last 'self-built' bus and the end of Midland Red.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-59827695

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Wonderful language, English! 

And a potential source of considerable amusement should one be so inclined ;):jester:

20 hours ago, Legend said:

Are we there yet  or are we still at announcement of announcement stage?  Given that this is twelth night and the decorations are coming down , this crackers taking a long time to go off.  When might we expect actual information?

I believe we are at the announcement of a possible announcement (or presumably four announcements?) stage and the big problem facing Andy and Richard is one of timing because they need to aim for a date/dates of maximum impact on we ravening hordes of guessers, wishlisters, and potential contributors to their pension fund.

So if they are going to be separate announcements they need to be in the correct order to build interest and minimise  the 'it's not for me' brickbats which could lead to loss of interest in whatever they don't announce first.  They also have to bear in mind the amount of time we will waste spend ploughing through umpteen pages devoted to Hornby's gig although I'm sure that there will be something there for someone there.   So in order to get ahead of the stream, so to speak, maybe those living north of the border might possibly get a surprise arrival as a very late running first footer prior to 'Big H' day?  But more likely they'll announce whatever they are going to announce when they're ready, and not before.  And of course there's nothing to stop them announcing in advance the date on which they will be making the announcement because that hasn't yet been announced. 

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And a potential source of considerable amusement should one be so inclined ;):jester:

I believe we are at the announcement of a possible announcement (or presumably four announcements?) stage and the big problem facing Andy and Richard is one of timing because they need to aim for a date/dates of maximum impact on we ravening hordes of guessers, wishlisters, and potential contributors to their pension fund.

So if they are going to be separate announcements they need to be in the correct order to build interest and minimise  the 'it's not for me' brickbats which could lead to loss of interest in whatever they don't announce first.  They also have to bear in mind the amount of time we will waste spend ploughing through umpteen pages devoted to Hornby's gig although I'm sure that there will be something there for someone there.   So in order to get ahead of the stream, so to speak, maybe those living north of the border might possibly get a surprise arrival as a very late running first footer prior to 'Big H' day?  But more likely they'll announce whatever they are going to announce when they're ready, and not before.  And of course there's nothing to stop them announcing in advance the date on which they will be making the announcement because that hasn't yet been announced. 

Oh Mike . Now you're just teasing , as I'm North of the Border!!!!!!

Maybe its getting old or maybe I'm just miserable , probably both , but I find these threads constantly dangling something in front of us a bit tiresome . And Rapido ,of old, have form here . I well remember a picture of a loco/unit  in a station under wraps that I'm sure never actually got announced (unless it was Realtracks 156 , that Rapido made, it was never really clear). Lots of froth but never actually got to the lager ! 

Fair enough the guys should announce when ready .I know they want to stimulate attention , but really all we've got because of this "Christmas Craker" announcement is a thread of wish lists with very little basis , if any, in fact.  Id suggest a new thread when they do announce ,in case the actual announcement is lost on the sea of possible announcements or what we'd like to see announced.

Edited by Legend
added another announcent ref
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Legend said:

I find these threads constantly dangling something in front of us a bit tiresome .

Well, just ignore them.  I can't be bothered with most of the frothing threads either, particularly the ones that run to dozens of pages.  There are too many more interesting threads on RMWeb.

2 hours ago, Legend said:

all we've got because of this "Christmas Cracker" announcement is a thread of wish lists with very little basis , if any, in fact.

But I think that's all that this thread is meant to be.  Andy and the rest of the Rapido team would like to know what would excite people, so reading a list of guesses can give a few pointers.  If you want to know what is actually going to be announced, ignore this thread.  As for when the announcements are made, that will depend on whether the samples are satisfactory and who the intended audience is.  For example, a particularly Scottish model may be announced at Model Rail Scotland (if it goes ahead in February) in the same way as Rails of Sheffield announced their Caley 812 about three years ago.  If it is something of more interest to Southern modellers, then perhaps an announcement at the London Festival of Railway Modelling at Alexandra Palace in March would be more appropriate.

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I do love your posts - if you ever want to come and work for us let me know :-)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

Well, just ignore them.  I can't be bothered with most of the frothing threads either, particularly the ones that run to dozens of pages.  There are too many more interesting threads on RMWeb

Aye but I might miss some real news  when the announcement of the announcement is actually announced !

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

I reckon that, having successfully stolen Hornby's thunder with the Titfield version of Lion, but also having noted Hornby's success with the Coca-Cola branded wagons and train sets, Rapido have done a deal to acquire exclusive rights to a range of Irn-Bru tank wagons.

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

I do love your posts - if you ever want to come and work for us let me know :-)

Richard knows where to find me (and while I'm always happy to help out where I can does your suggestion mean that would you actually be paying in future? ;) )

PS It's no good asking me what anybody else might be working on because even if I happen to know my lips are sealed but if  (in private, definitely not in front of the frotherati) you mention something and I pull a face you might take a subtle hint not to waste your time and Jason's money on coming in second.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

21 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Today we received photos of Engineering Samples of not one, not two but FOUR unannounced projects! 

I don't understand the coyness - if they are engineering samples, they are clearly not 'might be' projects. That said, it might be sensible to wait a few days after the 10th when the excitement/disappointment of the Hornby announcements has faded a bit.

53 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

I reckon that, having successfully stolen Hornby's thunder with the Titfield version of Lion, but also having noted Hornby's success with the Coca-Cola branded wagons and train sets, Rapido have done a deal to acquire exclusive rights to a range of Irn-Bru tank wagons.

I'm afraid Hornby probably have the rights as they've done a Irn Bru taxi in the Corgi range (or was it Oxford?)

19 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

It's Oxford:

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/products/tx4-taxi-irn-bru-sp024

So maybe Rapido will have to do Dr Pepper instead :)

Coca Cola I'm afraid. Well, Coca Cola have the rights for the UK. Other territories are different.

https://www.coca-cola.co.uk/brands/dr-pepper

They might be able to get the rights to Corona.....  :jester:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

11 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Richard knows where to find me (and while I'm always happy to help out where I can does your suggestion mean that would you actually be paying in future? ;) )

Just think of the wishes that could be answered with Stationmaster and Bill joining forces to create GWR/WR models...

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

But would we want to go back to the 60's?!!

Mike.

No pandemic, exciting pop music, comfy seats on trains…What’s not to like?

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

No pandemic, exciting pop music, comfy seats on trains…What’s not to like?

Cheers

Darius

Bri Nylon shirts and Vesta chow mein? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Although I remember, quite clearly, using the coins shown,

and remember their names, ha'penny, thru'penny bit, tanner,

I don't remember, or know, what the difference between an

e shilling and an s shilling is! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Although I remember, quite clearly, using the coins shown,

and remember their names, ha'penny, thru'penny bit, tanner,

I don't remember, or know, what the difference between an

e shilling and an s shilling is! 

Before my time (I wasn't born until '91!), but looking at the lions on each, I assume English and Scottish.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1