The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

7 minutes ago, SR71 said:

So have people given up their sky subscriptions? Just watching ch4 qualifying and came to see what was being said and I'm still the last post?

Lewis, Fernando is faster than you.

I gave up sky years ago

i just listen on the radio and watch highlights if it sounds like it is worth watching later 

shame George’s gamble didn’t pay off

Edited by ess1uk
Spellin
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I guess Max has already won the title. I can't believe RB will let Perez challenge him and his only rival is starting from last having already used up all his quota of oily bits for the season so all I can see is more and more grid penalties for him.

The new cars haven't improved the racing and with the Merc's having a nightmare there isn't even the excitement of who will take who off between Max and Lewis which was the only thing of interest last season.

I hope I'm wrong but fear I'm not. As a life long F1 fan I never thought I'd find myself not fussed if I miss a live race.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It means staying away from news reports, but being able to watch C4 highlights on catch-up has the bonus (sometimes) of being ad-free and (always) being able to skip the “wisdom” of Laurence Bereto...

• Like 5

I have now recovered from the photo of Danica and the 'excitement' of the race so here are my thoughts on the latest F1 offering.

Another borefest.

The new cars just don't do what the FIA wanted. Long trains of cars all hurtling down the extremely long main straight, DRS flaps wide open yet unable to pass the car in the front of the queue which has no assistance.

The best example of this was the last few laps with the 'battle' for the lead which the Sky commentary team thought were amazing; nope. Sainz was 21 kph faster than Max down the main straight but still couldn't get close enough to attempt a pass. To my eyes the reason for this was he couldn't get close enough around the final hairpin despite the new car design so Max was further enough ahead to negate the DRS benefit. The sport is going down the wrong path when even a manufactured means of overtaking doesn't work. 

Again pitstops are the only real way of passing especially when you can gain an advantage under VSC and SC's.

I know it's their job to be excited but the commentators must struggle sometimes to fake it.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, didcot said:

I personally think the SKY coverage is far better than CH4. I like the features they do and Ted's Notebook after the race.

I have F1 on series record but find I delete most of the recorded extras unwatched, far too much pointless blethering; example, never have seen much point in Blundell’s grid walks. Same with some of the new camera angles like the head cam, yes it makes a point about the bouncing, but not something pleasant to watch. Each to their own though, some people probably do like it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Fernando Alonso drops to ninth with penalty at Canadian GP. 🤣

SORRY Alonso fans, but I just don't like him, because of his tactics at McLaren against Lewis, and he still bears a grudge. Well guess what, so do I. 😁  👍.

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/34118714/fernando-alonso-drops-ninth-penalty-canadian-gp

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

On 18/06/2022 at 09:00, SR71 said:

If bouncing is caused by the car touching the ground, but being as close as possible to the ground makes for the fastest lap, then teams will of course have to run close to the ground. If they don't their competitors will.

I was under the impression that the cars still have the "plank" fitted to the underside of the chassis, and the rules about how much of it should be left at the end of the race still apply.  I may be mistaken about that, but I'm pretty sure that I read it in one of the articles linked by Andrew P recently (and a quick Google seems to confirm it).  It's intended to ensure that the cars conform to the ride height regulations.  I suspect that it might have become somewhat superfluous during the non-ground effect era when ride heights seemed fairly sensible, but if the feeling is that low ride heights are contributing to/exacerbating porpoising then the mechanism already exists to police an increase in the minimum ride height.  In fact. the FIA's statement seems to hint that they intend to do exactly that.*

Could it in fact also be the case that the new ground effect cars were not intended to ride as low as they do (or at least, as low as some teams seem able to run them), so as to provide some kind of cap on the aerodynamic grip that ground effect can provide, and thus provide better racing?  But what if the FIA forgot to amend the existing minimum ride height regulation, or their calculations as to what would be a reasonable one to impose in the new ground effect era were faulty?  The observation that some have made, based on Montreal, that DRS has become largely ineffective might seem to support that...

*  Though the words "closer scrutiny of the planks and skids, both in terms of their design and the observed wear" might be interpreted by a cynical person as suggesting that they'd more or less given up monitoring compliance with that particular part of the rules because it effectively became a non-issue when ground effect was for all intents and purposes ruled out.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

It has been proposed to allow active suspension as a remedy to the porpoising effects experienced with the current F1 cars.

Maybe active bodywork could provide an alternative solution, The driver's monocoque with all the drive components and exterior aerodynamics being sprung with a regular race car suspension. The under car aerodynamics being sprung separately to follow the contours of the track as closely as possible. This  would be a modern development of the tricks used during the late 1970s/early 1980s ground effect era. A combination of the Lotus double chassis and sliding skirts, combined with modern sensor and data processing technology.

I do not understand the FIA's long reluctance to allow active aerodynamics, considering that much overtaking on track comes about these days through the use of their own mandated system (DRS).

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Ahem:

🙂

I remember reading somewhere about a concern, or maybe something that actually happened, of the skirts jamming in the slots, and when the car reaches the corner the ground effect is correspondingly lost but the driver's entered the corner expecting it to be there...

Another ground effect concern at the time was it pushing cornering speeds higher and thus more strain on the drivers, although I'd assume that cars had surpassed those speeds even without ground effect by now (although circuits consisting almost entirely of high-speed corners have vanished from F1).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, john new said:

I have F1 on series record but find I delete most of the recorded extras unwatched, far too much pointless blethering; example, never have seen much point in Blundell’s grid walks. Same with some of the new camera angles like the head cam, yes it makes a point about the bouncing, but not something pleasant to watch. Each to their own though, some people probably do like it.

Has Blundell ever done a grid walk??

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Bulleidboy100 said:

Has Blundell ever done a grid walk??

Brundell? same difference really, the grid walks I find boring. Never was good with names!

• Like 2

Each to their own. I quite like Brundels grid walks. Especially when they go wrong.

I must admit I'm getting pretty fed up with SKY's insistence on having the Ginger Whinger on tap at every race...

• Agree 3

Or even Martin Brundle - not to be confused with Brundall Gardens, the station, though both are associated with Norfolk.

The camera angles are the concern of whoever is in charge of the picture feed, nothing Sky or C4 can do except take the official transmission (and edit, in the case of the latter).  Yesterday’s feed made a basic error, focussing on the back of the grid and missing the start lights going out and the initial launch at the front.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3