RMweb

Formula 1 2022

didcot

18 hours ago, 37114 said:

If anyone other than a Mercedes, Sainz or Perez wins on Sunday then you would have to say the above have missed a very open goal.

Well that's jinxed them hasn't it!

• Funny 5

As the drivers go into Q3, I've had a most satisfying thought.

All those sent to the back of the grid should be ranked in decending* alphabetical order. So:

Verstappen (at the back)
Schumacher
Ocon
Norris
Leclerk

Guanyu
Bottas

Sweet!!!

* I think I've got it the right way around...

Edited by Hroth
I forgot Guanyu
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Hroth said:

As the drivers go into Q3, I've had a most satisfying thought.

All those sent to the back of the grid should be ranked in decending* alphabetical order. So:

Verstappen (at the back)
Schumacher
Ocon
Norris
Leclerk
Bottas

Sweet!!!

* I think I've got it the right way around...

And a few (all?) of them going off in the first few laps as they vie with each other to move up the field.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 26/08/2022 at 19:47, Jonboy said:

Typical F1 get-out clause though, allowing officials to ignore the rules when it suits them.
"Under exceptional circumstances however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race." 🙄

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Typical F1 get-out clause though, allowing officials to ignore the rules when it suits them.
"Under exceptional circumstances however, which may include setting a suitable lap time in a free practice session, the stewards may permit the car to start the race." 🙄

Ahhh the Maldonado clause I believe, ready for when he stuffed it into the wall and prevented others setting a time??? :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Jonboy said:

Ahhh the Maldonado clause I believe, ready for when he stuffed it into the wall and prevented others setting a time??? :)

Actually I think the first beneficiary of the clause was Damon Hill.

In his first race for Arrows, he failed to meet the 107% qualifying time but the powers that were felt they couldn't exclude the reigning World Champion from starting the first race of the season.

However I think in terms of practicality, it is probably not a bad thing to have some "exceptional circumstances" clauses as there will always be circumstances that were not thought of at the time the rules were drawn up. "Laws of the Medes and Persians" tend to have unintended consequences.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, RJS1977 said:

Actually I think the first beneficiary of the clause was Damon Hill.

In his first race for Arrows, he failed to meet the 107% qualifying time but the powers that were felt they couldn't exclude the reigning World Champion from starting the first race of the season.

However I think in terms of practicality, it is probably not a bad thing to have some "exceptional circumstances" clauses as there will always be circumstances that were not thought of at the time the rules were drawn up. "Laws of the Medes and Persians" tend to have unintended consequences.

It means the rule is worthless. If you have a rule with an override clause & will usually use the clause, why bother? It just proves that it needs to be scrapped or re-written.

• Agree 1

Ferrari must be out of ammunition and feet. Pit Leclerc for fastest lap, comes out behind Alonso and gets a 5 second penalty for speeding in the pit lane!

Edited by didcot
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Someone on the BBC F1 site talked of a Ferrari "disasterclass" - and that was quite early in the race. Given the red cars' speed in practice and quali, the fact that George finished only two seconds behind Carlos, and 30 secs ahead of Leclerc - before that late penalty - just shows how bad the thinktank at Maranello really is. Leclerc started one place behind Max, finished a minute behind him.

The tifosi must be seething this year. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It also seems that RB have taken a step forward during the summer "shutdown", while everyone else has been static or gone backwards.

I am wondering if Red Bull had more confidence their floors would pass the revised tests that kick in this weekend, and haven’t changed them and others have?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It means the rule is worthless. If you have a rule with an override clause & will usually use the clause, why bother? It just proves that it needs to be scrapped or re-written.

No, because the key word is "exceptional". If you "usually" use the clause, then clearly that isn't "exceptional circumstances".

Taking a "real life" example from something I know a little about - agricultural subsidies. Under the current agricultural subsidy scheme, farmers need to submit their applications for subsidy on or before 15th May (they can submit a little later than this but will be penalised for doing so, with penalties increasing with the length of the delay in submisison). However out of the 85,000 or so subsidy applications, there will always be a small number in any given year who are unable to submit in time owing to serious illness, bereavement, fire, flood, etc. Rather than compound the misery for those applicants by reducing or disallowing their subsidy (which could be sufficient for their business to go under), there are measures in place to support applicants who find themselves in such circumstances (force majeur).

Similarly in F1, there are a number of reasons why a driver may not set a time within the 107% window. Sessions being yellow or red-flagged before a driver has had chance to set a time are one example. Similarly a heavy rain shower partway through qualifying that slows the lap times of drivers who haven't set a time yet. A driver crashing out in FP and not having their car repaired in time for quali is another example. The rule exists to prevent a team from turning up with an absolute dog of a car that is so slow that it presents a danger to other drivers, not to disqualify drivers who were caught out by bad luck.

Apart from the Damon Hill example in 1997, I'm struggling to think of another time the 107% rule came into play at all, with or without the "exceptional circumstances" clause being invoked. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 28/08/2022 at 15:36, didcot said:

Ferrari must be out of ammunition and feet. Pit Leclerc for fastest lap, comes out behind Alonso and gets a 5 second penalty for speeding in the pit lane!

Did you see his lap time though? With fresh, soft tyres, low fuel & what turned out to be the perfect gap behind Alonso to benefit from DRS without being caught behind him, he should have easily got fastest lap.

But he was 0.6 slower than Verstappen's best & that was set with medium tyres & more fuel.

Ferrari must really be scratching their heads now. They focussed work on with this design before anybody else. Back in 2018, Binotto said "don't judge me on this (inherited) car, judge me on the 2021 one". The 2021 rules got held up to be introduced in 2022, so this is his judgment year.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

I'm losing interest.

Ok, a driver's skill makes a big difference - I know he's quick, but I'm struggling to understand the widening gap between Max and the rest.  It's compounded when those chasing manage to fall apart - Charles comprised by his team (if he doesn't throw it way himself), Lewis making an uncharacteristic error (surely he knows you can't win the race on the first lap, but you can certainly lose it) - it's like the season is over already.

After last season's fiasco, I was hoping for a fair and competitive series of races this year. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, EddieB said:

After last season's fiasco, I was hoping for a fair and competitive series of races this year. 

Not much chance of that. The race director from last year was replaced, but the management wasn’t, so it was always going to be a similar season when it comes to fairness.

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, EddieB said:

I'm losing interest.

Ok, a driver's skill makes a big difference - I know he's quick, but I'm struggling to understand the widening gap between Max and the rest.  It's compounded when those chasing manage to fall apart - Charles comprised by his team (if he doesn't throw it way himself), Lewis making an uncharacteristic error (surely he knows you can't win the race on the first lap, but you can certainly lose it) - it's like the season is over already.

I am awaiting a fiasco around the cost cap. I envisage as soon as Redbull seal the championship we will see stopping short of not turning up at races but instead doing the bare minimum to fulfil their contractual obligations, e.g short fuel the car, reuse old parts from earlier in the year to get in line with the cost cap. If they fail to do so I suspect Ferrari to appeal.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

https://formula1news.co.uk/formula-1-to-remove-spa-from-2023-calendar/#:~:text=Spa Francorchamps is expected to lose its place,motorsport%2C particularly in America%2C is higher than ever

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/verstappen-losing-favourite-track-spa-from-f1-would-be-big-shame/10340174/

If CH 4 pundits are to be believed Spa will have a race in 2023.

How many more classic circuits are going to be lost?

IMHO those middle eastern and Asian street circuits just don't have the appeal of the classics. Liberty Media just don't seem to have any allegiance to F1 history only the mighty $ and middle eastern cash.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

The "Spa confirmed for 2023" popped up on screen at the beginning of the race on SkyF1.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

The "Spa confirmed for 2023" popped up on screen at the beginning of the race on SkyF1.

And was mentioned on the BBC radio coverage too.

no race in South Africa next year so Spa got the slot

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Liberty Media just don't seem to have any allegiance to F1 history only the mighty $ and middle eastern cash.

Yeah, ‘cause Bernie had a totally different ethos.  Oh wait…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Liberty Media just don't seem to have any allegiance to F1 history only the mighty $ and middle eastern cash.

27 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Yeah, ‘cause Bernie had a totally different ethos.  Oh wait…

Liberty are just extending the work Bernie started....

• Like 1
  • Agree 5