The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Easy, let them go in for whatever reason, but the Pit EXIT remains closed until the SC or VSC is withdrawn.

AND, they come out in the same order they went in.

Or Do it the way they do at Le Mans, cars in the pit lane are held at the pir exit until the safety car train has passed and they are released onto the tail end.

• Like 2

O.K. Guys and Gals, this is how I see it.

End of 2021 and Lewis looses the title due a cock up by an FIA Official, and they cant admit that, but NOW IF they can prove that RB cheated to get to the title, they can legitimately remove it from MV with no egg on the FIA's face. and JUSTICE is restored. 👍

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Round of applause 3

14 hours ago, Andrew P said:

End of 2021 and Lewis looses the title due a cock up by an FIA Official, and they cant admit that, but NOW IF they can prove that RB cheated to get to the title, they can legitimately remove it from MV with no egg on the FIA's face. and JUSTICE is restored

Nah they won't do that, 15 years (or however long the annoying Dutchman is in f1 for) of him whingeing about it being stolen off him and so hard done by blah blah, combined with the Red Bull "we do no wrong" would make the media coverage unwatchable. 

I've been suspicious of Red Bull's performance both this year and last, something about it just doesn't seem to feel like previous domination, and if they have been fiddling the figures perhaps that's it. Anyway, we might find out on Monday. Or we might not.

Jo

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steadfast said:

Nah they won't do that, 15 years (or however long the annoying Dutchman is in f1 for) of him whingeing about it being stolen off him and so hard done by blah blah, combined with the Red Bull "we do no wrong" would make the media coverage unwatchable. 

I still remember when he passed Raikkonen at a US GP by driving right across a chicane. Some remarked that it was a "great move" (yup, cutting a corner was apparently very clever).

Horner's response was that others went off track elsewhere, so how was this different? I've always hated track limit violations so I could see his point.

Verstappen was complaining about it several races later, claiming he did no wrong.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, ianwales said:

Nooooooo, Keep the sprint races and have more of them.

The FIA could have a large number of sprint races, hold them all on one day and run them one after the other without a pause, to save time...

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 06/10/2022 at 13:29, RJS1977 said:

The alternative of making drivers wait until the safety car period is over is arguably even less fair as it would mean the driver would drop a lot more places once the field has been bunched up.

They can make pitstops a mandatory length and hold the cars until that time is met so no advantage is gained if pitting under safety car. They always know how much time is saved under SC periods whilst pitting so use the same tech as for 10sec penalties to hold the cars before or after they are serviced.

• Like 4

i wonder if delaying the release of the Cost Cap reviews is down to the possibility of MV securing the WDC this weekend. Are the FIA concerned that it might influence the decisions they have to make if, as some have apparently speculated, RB have significantly breached the cost cap.

Would they deduct points from MV/RB's 2022 season and if so, how many? Enough to possibly deny them the championship. If too few to prevent them still having a strong chance of winning.

By failing to set out what penalty any breaches of the rules would incur, they have put themselves in a difficult political situation. A further example of their inability to run F1 effectively.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

To be fair to Red Bull - events outside their team have allowed MV to create a massive cushion in his lead, enough that deductions of points will probably still alllow him to take the title by the end of the season - it's not as if it has been nip and tuck with Ferrari all season.

However, any deductions in the 2021 season will hand the title to Mercedes.

Announcing something next week leaves it all still to play for this season and ups the ante on Ferrari to challenge for some wins but as it stands with or without penalties MV hasn't himself really put a foot wrong this season and I am not sure how much difference the car has made in some races where Ferrari lost the wins through one thing or another.

Of course it may also be that RB are frantically trying to prove they have not exceeded the cap as much as has been claimed and thus trying to reduce the damage and preserve last year's as well as this years points. 

Or there may be shenanigans and absolutely nothing happens next week apart from Alpine getting a ticking off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

55 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Or there may be shenanigans and absolutely nothing happens next week apart from Alpine getting a ticking off.

????? What have I missed?

BTW although not a Max Fan, he has driven really well again this year, and although it pains me to say this, deserves the title.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 06/10/2022 at 22:18, Andrew P said:

O.K. Guys and Gals, this is how I see it.

End of 2021 and Lewis looses the title due a cock up by an FIA Official, and they cant admit that, but NOW IF they can prove that RB cheated to get to the title, they can legitimately remove it from MV with no egg on the FIA's face. and JUSTICE is restored. 👍

I can’t say that will happen.  According to Lewis, last year Red Bull arrived at almost every race post-Silverstone with yet more upgrades.  

A lot happened in those races.  Would the results have altered had teams been aware that sanctions were looming?  As soon as you change something retrospectively, the whole subject of contingency arises.  Trying to undo the resultant mess is too complex and I suspect the FIA are taking their time because they want to find a solution that doesn’t involve “losing face”.  Questions of “fairness” are a secondary consideration.  I bet they find a way to wriggle out, treating some of RB’s overspend as legitimately off the books.

I have considered whether the FIA might even have decided to nullify the 2021 season.  Max would be stripped of his title, but it wouldn’t be given to Lewis.  However, I reckon that’s a step too far even for the FIA.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Whilst not exactly the same, but the Mclaren spygate if I remember correctly incurred a hefty fine, a quote from Max Moseley that will go down in history and removal from the championship.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in RB HQ if that were to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, newbryford said:

Let Max win for 2022 this weekend, then dock them points for 2021....?

I suspect any points docking will be constructors only if they do anything with 2021. Even though the end of the race and result will be one of the biggest f1 controversy in history,  I can't see then opening that wound again. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

A damp squib in Japan, red-flagged after 2 laps - and they managed to get a tractor on track while at least one car was still circulating! FIA in the dock yet again. This was where Jules Bianchi suffered fatal injuries in 2014 - after hitting a tractor. 

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

On a positive note, I managed to wake the whole house up turning on the TV at 5:45 - it means that everyone is ready on time to leave for Milton Keynes for GETS. 

just listening to Ted interview the Pirelli guy - the problem isn’t necessarily the tyre, it will have grip it can disperse 85l of water per second from each tyre, the problem is the spray makes it impossible to see.

I don’t know what to make about the Gasley tractor incident - the tractor was also on the track when the safety car train went past and no one gave it a second thought - Gasley was going faster (not race speed but fast enough for the aerodynamics to give grip) to catch up to the safety car train and had less than half a second to react. Was he going too fast? Obviously it needs to be safe for the drivers, no one wants a replay of what happened in 2014, but does that mean no safety cars or vsc’s and straight to red flag if someone needs to be recovered - with recovery starting once every is in the pits?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Trouble with Gasley was he approached under double waved yellows which meant he should be prepared to stop and they changed to red before he arrived yet he was going as fast as he could to catch the train up. 

The tractor probably shouldn't have been there but Gasley was ignoring the flags.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3