The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

I was reading an article the other day from Mercedes, they know exactly what mistake they made on their chassis design which led to their awful season, the cost cap has stopped them from being able to fully fix it this season, but it will be resolved by next season.

They won't give away what it is, but at least they know it - hence why the chassis has been slowly evolving but the most important bit cannot yet be fixed.

The cost cap has implications and a 5m overspend is half a second on a lap time which we all recognise is significant.

But somehow, I suspect they will still get away with it, almost like a certain ex president.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, SR71 said:

Well;

Ver: 395.5

Ham: 387.5 + 5% = 407.

FIA need to be very careful.

Or spread over a season, "just under 5%" represents one race.  So RB are disqualified from the race that finally  took them over the budget cap - the last race of the season.

Of course that will never happen.  RB will be fined - the fine sloshing around within the "sport".  Omerta (as the very innocent Jean Alessi might say).  Who knows, some might even help towards Bernie's legal expenses?

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 2

Looking at the possible penalties for a minor breach it evidently does pay to cheat (with a little help from Massi to make sure).

Lewis mentioned a new floor costing £300K last season would have made a massive difference but their budget ran out at Silverstone. They should have just done it.

F1 is a joke.

• Agree 7

If the FIA don't stamp on this hard then other teams will do the same next year.

A fine will mean nothing to RB. Only a severe reduction in next years budget/air tunnel testing or point deductions will make them sit up and take notice. 

I suspect if that does occur the toys will go out the pram with a threat of leaving F1. So be it. RB seems to be a very toxic environment. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
Just now, didcot said:

the toys will go out the pram with a threat of leaving F1. So be it. RB seems to be a very toxic environment. 

The "sport" would not miss RB, but Verstappen's sudden availability would have a huge impact on the driver market. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, didcot said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/63206887

Now this wouldn't happen in a male series. Also W Series isn't recognised by the FIA so drivers can't accrue license points for F1.

Last time I checked it was the 21st Century. 

That's awful - for women, a cap is a cap and they simply stop racing when the money runs out.

In F1 they order more sandwiches and the car goes even quicker.

• Agree 8

42 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

So it seems that the overspend is sandwiches and sickness - they are not going to use Adrian Newey's accident as an excuse are they?

Were they gold plated sandwiches. If they get away with it on that excuse I sincerely hope the other teams come together with some legal action. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, didcot said:

Were they gold plated sandwiches. If they get away with it on that excuse I sincerely hope the other teams come together with some legal action. 

From what I have read, RB have a sympathetic journo making comments for them, this isn't official FIA commentary.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As I suggested before his plan b, that he's been in training for all season, is as a pundit on Sky so it figures they'll give him an easy ride

I wonder if Eddie Jordan will hand over his treasured collection of shirts.

Edited by SR71
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, didcot said:

Are the gold sandwiches drilled for lightweight? 

Jo

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

I notice that the actual overspend has not been stated , just that it's less

than 5% which is meaningless on a 145 million total , it could be as low as

.5% so $725,000 or 4.9% so $7,105000 .

I think we should know so that when we see the penalty we can tell if it is

a tough one or just a cover up .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Simple punishment would be if they went 5% over budget this year reduce next years budget by 5% with a strict and independent audit of their spending throughout the year.

Frankly given the state of the audit world at the moment, it wouldn’t give me any further faith in the process…

• Like 1
  • Agree 3