Hornby 2022 - Steam range

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yeah - that's exactly how I got to a list of "Hornby 2022 - " threads that I have no intention of trawling through in case someone mentions something that'd catch my eye .......... so far as I know there's nothing newly announced - by Hornby - that would be appropriate for 1948 Southern.

As always, I provided a summary of all things SR / BR(s) related here https://southern-railway.com/2022/01/10/Hornby-announce-their-2022-range-new-liveries-for-sr-brs-items/ 

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yeah - that's exactly how I got to a list of "Hornby 2022 - " threads that I have no intention of trawling through in case someone mentions something that'd catch my eye .......... so far as I know there's nothing newly announced - by Hornby - that would be appropriate for 1948 Southern.

I've given up on any more Bulleid Pacifics until Hornby produce something with more differences than just the name and number, so it's very little different for 1958 BR (S).

This thread is a bit too generalised to pick up on interesting titbits unless one keeps a  fairly close eye on it.

Nearly all the 2022 items that interest me are either overdue from previous years or announcements from various "newcomers". Neither Hornby or Bachmann will be seeing much of my loot on the basis of their programs as so far announced.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Sorry - should have said "1948 Southern Eastern Section" ! ( So no M7s or MNs I'm afraid )

My post reported everything being released / announced of a SR / BR(s) interest so therefore did cover the eastern section even if there wasn't anything.

• Like 1

I am beginning to wonder if Christmas has been cancelled!!!

I was most excited when Hornby announced that they were releasing the diecast BR Flying Scotsman , R3991.

So about a year ago, I ordered one through my local dealer.

First there was a release date of December 2021.

Then it became Winter.

Now it is Spring 2022.

Surely all the backlog from the 'Evergiven' beaching itself must have been cleared by now?

Come on Hornby!  I'm getting old and every day is priceless.  How much longer do I have to wait???

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AyJay said:

I am beginning to wonder if Christmas has been cancelled!!!

I was most excited when Hornby announced that they were releasing the diecast BR Flying Scotsman , R3991.

So about a year ago, I ordered one through my local dealer.

First there was a release date of December 2021.

Then it became Winter.

Now it is Spring 2022.

Surely all the backlog from the 'Evergiven' beaching itself must have been cleared by now?

Come on Hornby!  I'm getting old and every day is priceless.  How much longer do I have to wait???

If you look at this year’s announcement you will notice that R3991 is now being upgraded to include sound and the new steam generator. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AyJay said:

R3991, without the “ss” suffix, is still being listed on the Hornby website as having a release date of spring ‘22.  The steam unit variant has a separate listing.

My point is that they probably won’t release them seperately as that would involve 2 seperate production runs of the body. 

I have just received an e-mail reply from Hornby, in response to my enquiry.

"I can see on our system that this is due to arrive to us mid-April if all goes well, so you should have your item by the end of April."

I shall be patient and consider this a retirement present to myself.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/01/2022 at 20:33, Farang said:

I'm surprised no one has commented on some of the prices. The country is entering a period of high inflation which is going to affect peoples disposable income, especially the older generation (who buy steam models) who are on fixed incomes. Even at 10% off prices for some items are still high.

Simple question, when at any point in history has talking about the price of a product changed the price of the product? Other of course than say tampons or medications or something essential that then becomes subsidised or experiences tax relief.

I would struggle to place model railways in quite the same league really.

What do we hope to achieve by discussing how expensive something is other than providing it with the cache of being an expensive item that some talk about but only a few own. 

I personally was born into a family that could never have afforded to just nip out and buy the latest releases even before the supposed much hyped price gouging of late, I to be honest still cannot afford those prices on a whim and have to save and make choices as to what is really valuable to me. This is just the reality of the hobby, of life. While it would he nice if these manufacturers were a charity handing us free toys to make us happy boys it's just not how it works. Wouldn't it be nice... yes, but not emotionally healthy to get hung up on what you cannot afford, find the things you can and enjoy them, then if you wish have a look at what others do with what they can afford and admire that we as a hobby have come so far from the days of clunky plastic boxes arcing their way across the carpet so be it. 

To make this post relevant, a black 5... why yes please once I've saved up.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

I'll continue to buy what I want if I can do it without impinging on essential expenditure. 

All a Railway Modeller does is redefine what's essential....  (Apologies to the other RMs).

Unfortunately for Hornby, now my Sentinel has arrived, I have only one remaining want in their 2022 program. The rest of my red-box pre-orders are all outstanding from 2020/21.

A number of less familiar brands will be doing rather better out of me, but that's just because Hornby have been busy fulfilling the dreams of others for the past couple of years.

No doubt they will return to the paths of wisdom and righteousness in time. 🙂

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, scots region said:

So the New A1/3s are out and about, anyone had a chance to look one over and report back?

I've not seen them in the flesh as yet, however Kernow models have some good stock photographs of the new A1 and A3s on their website.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, scots region said:

So the New A1/3s are out and about, anyone had a chance to look one over and report back?

50 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I've not seen them in the flesh as yet, however Kernow models have some good stock photographs of the new A1 and A3s on their website.

The World Of Railways is currently showing a video of 2564 working on Little Bytham. The verdict is favourable.See for yourselves. As for 60103,I’ve just “unboxed” mine.(Thank you Dan at Derails once again for your usual excellent service). As promised,there is no “ski jump”.It weighs a ton as a result of the metal running plate .No seam is glaringly evident on the boiler moulding.You have to look hard for them,they are expertly done. The livery and lining are fine to my judgment Though the wheel rims are perhaps a tad too “robust “ and might benefit from a subtle toning down.Doesn’t detract from what on first acquaintance seems a fine model.Unable to run it for a while but 2564 on Little Bytham is impressive,performance-wise.

Factory code is HUA01

There now.I’m first here to put his toes into the water. Would I recommend a purchase ? Yes,I would.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The World Of Railways is currently showing a video of 2564 working on Little Bytham. The verdict is favourable.See for yourselves. As for 60103,I’ve just “unboxed” mine.(Thank you Dan at Derails once again for your usual excellent service). As promised,there is no “ski jump”.It weighs a ton as a result of the metal running plate .No seam is glaringly evident on the boiler moulding.You have to look hard for them,they are expertly done. The livery and lining are fine to my judgment Though the wheel rims are perhaps a tad too “robust “ and might benefit from a subtle toning down.Doesn’t detract from what on first acquaintance seems a fine model.Unable to run it for a while but 2564 on Little Bytham is impressive,performance-wise.

Factory code is HUA01

There now.I’m first here to put his toes into the water. Would I recommend a purchase ? Yes,I would.

Ian,

Enjoy !

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I just weighed Lemberg and Knight of the Thistle.

The locos are between 35 to 40 grams heavier than the earlier loco drive A1s and A3s I have.

340 vs. 300-305g

I didn't notice at first as I had added a bit of weight to some of my older ones.

Subtracting about 20 grams taken by the sprung front bogie that means the driving wheels carry about 13-14 % more weight than the previous generation.

Both run nicely, the foot plates are straight, the top seams on the boilers nicely aligned, and there no assembly issues I have noticed yet on my two.

The all black Lemberg looks very sharp.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hornby have recently been pushing their SECR-livered ex-Thomas E2... Anyone else absolutely horrified by the [current] £66.99 price tag for a railroad 0-6-0 which is in effect a 40-year old model? I know it's not aimed at the serious modeller but I don't know any child who can afford to spend almost £70 on a single loco.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, alexl102 said:

Hornby have recently been pushing their SECR-livered ex-Thomas E2... Anyone else absolutely horrified by the [current] £66.99 price tag for a railroad 0-6-0 which is in effect a 40-year old model? I know it's not aimed at the serious modeller but I don't know any child who can afford to spend almost £70 on a single loco.

It's not intended for kids to buy, it's for them to pester their grandparents to buy...

Cynic mode OFF.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/04/2022 at 13:00, Ian Hargrave said:

Factory code is HUA01

Well now,having been impressed by not only 60103 but subsequently 2564 (!  !) out of both boxes,yesterday I was fortunate to have Lochnagar of this forum and fellow modeller from Mickleover construct and install a test track for me as ,given my recent health history,excursions into the loft might not be advisable for a while. So I am now in the process of track testing both. 60103 runs fine. 2564 was a reluctant starter and not as responsive as it should be. In short,what you’d call a dog. As it proceeded arthritically around ,a familiar burning fume smell arose and from the cab,a plume of smoke wafting from the footplate.It appeared that the new verismo firebox glow was behaving a mite too enthusiastically ( or is this a step forward in Hornby’s new quest for gimmickry….real smoke and fire ? ) The fire glow extinguished itself amid the acrid smell . I quickly shut power down and removed the model from the track. 
While rummaging for the box and packaging for return to sender,I tried 60103 once more.This was fine. Thought I’d better give 2564 another test to make sure. Wouldn’t you believe it….it ran perfectly with the firebox glow stable.It has now been running well for the last 45+ minutes.. so it won’t be in the post just yet. Weird…

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• AY Mod unpinned this topic
  • 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

An update from Hornby on the Turbomotive, but still nothong on how the sound project has been developed, and no chance to hear the project in advance (unless I have missed something).

https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/turbomotive-stanier-success?xnpe_tifc=bf4N4Ib8b.bDxIhu4kYp49psafeWaeiWhFW_bMhst9ELhdUZ4DnjnkPlRf8lhMPchMncbdiArFYXbfbXxkoDhfHdxF1DxdbT&utm_source=bloomreach&utm_campaign=Hornby - Engine Shed - week21 23/24&utm_medium=email

image.png.d0cff2177f4ab90f9b154b49b9230824.png

11 hours ago, zr2498 said:

An update from Hornby on the Turbomotive, but still nothong on how the sound project has been developed, and no chance to hear the project in advance (unless I have missed something).

Interesting pricing, not the usual 100 quid difference between sound and not versions...   

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

100 quid

Not for Hornby it isn't, TXS chips are 60 to 70 quids so Sound Fitted adds a random (*) number between 25 and 70 quid to the DC model.

(*) to me, I'm sure there's something 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Not for Hornby it isn't, TXS chips are 60 to 70 quids so Sound Fitted adds a random (*) number between 25 and 70 quid to the DC model.

(*) to me, I'm sure there's something 

About £47 differential at RRP. A TXS is a cheaper decoder as fewer sound files and functionality compared with ESU for example. But then if a decoder was to be installed for DCC capability, it might as well be with a sound project as well. If another sound decoder supplier is to formulate a better sound project and explain how it is done (without a prototype to record), then that might be a better option.