Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling

MoonM

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I unexpectedly saw one of these in the flesh at the Calne show and the trader briefly ran it up and down for me.  The lamps did not look excessively large, although the lenses on the front ones are bigger than they should be; there's a white lamp at the rear of the tender and that seems to have a smaller lens.  When running on DC the lamps light up warm yellow, which isn't very convincing and is much too bright; the tender lamp lights in reverse.

The unoccupied lamp irons looked quite fine and I couldn't see any sign of light bleed if that is an issue people are worried about (the trader told me the lamps are LEDs, but I thought Hornby were using a light pipe system).   They seemed to be fine enough that you wouldn't want to be changing them frequently.

I could see a single ejector pin mark near the top corner of the frame extension, but it is less obvious than on the sample and I had to peer to see it.

The paint on the smokebox door hinge pin has been tidied up considerably since the sample.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Photos on the Rails site appear to be of the actual model now - https://railsofsheffield.com/products/Hornby-r30224-stanier-5mt-black-5-4-6-0-5200-lms-steam-locomotive

I saw the LMS version 5200 displayed in the glass cabinet at Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds last Saturday.

Despite the misgivings of many on here about the lamps, they actually look ok and don't overly detract from the overall look of the model.

Maybe this is due to the them being black rather than white on the BR versions?

Hopefully, the spare lamp irons as promised by Hornby will be included with these locos.

IMHO, this model is a major step up from the previous incarnation.

Looking forward to receiving my pre-ordered Caprotti and Steam/Sound versions whenever they may arrive.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

I saw the LMS version 5200 displayed in the glass cabinet at Model Junction in Bury St Edmunds last Saturday.

Despite the misgivings of many on here about the lamps, they actually look ok and don't overly detract from the overall look of the model.

Maybe this is due to the them being black rather than white on the BR versions?

Hopefully, the spare lamp irons as promised by Hornby will be included with these locos.

IMHO, this model is a major step up from the previous incarnation.

Looking forward to receiving my pre-ordered Caprotti and Steam/Sound versions whenever they may arrive.

Interesting and always good to hear a first hand report rather than commenting on images from the internet. When I saw the BR versions at Warley the white lamps certainly jarred  - when my BR liveried version arrives they will be the first thing to be removed once 'acceptance trials' are complete! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 13/04/2024 at 07:52, Dunsignalling said:

Are Hornby even still interested in the "modeller" market?

Only in the contents of our wallets. (Which is fine by me, having spent my career in rude commerce.)

But, per earlier replies from modellers: since this model looks encouragingly more like a Black five than anything prior in RTR OO, and they were usually pretty grubby in BR operation; suitable application of filler and filth shall happen. Thus it will look very LMR among Doncaster's finest green liveried beauties, as cared for by Peter Townend.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Thus it will look very LMR among Doncaster's finest green liveried beauties, as cared for by Peter Townend.

Largely due to the availability of cleaners.  I don't believe the tales of Polish refugees at Top Shed.  I think he had a secret gang of Oompa Loompas that the Home Office didn't know about.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the above positive comments.My first observation….and this admittedly from online images…..is that apart from the white paint  ( Why ? ) on the smokebox hinges and those much debated lamps,I cannot observe much difference. This having removed from its box one of the later release originals R3453  BR l/c 45274, lightly weathered.

This being a model of the loco wrecked in the Sutton Coldfield disaster & subsequently rebuilt at Crewe and returned to traffic….something that Hornby seemed blissfully unaware of when they released it. 

It’s a nice model which performs sweetly. For now,apart from a pre ordered Caprotti,I’ll keep my powder dry and wait until I can get up close & personal for any stimulus to reach for the plastic to consider the new release 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Tangent warning

24 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

I think he had a secret gang of Oompa Loompas that the Home Office didn't know about.

My own late Pa being an immigrant alien - in his case from The Netherlands - I can assure you that the UK made very effort to lose immigrants. He had the very same immigration documentation that the famed Windrush group had, (and a more appalling piece of documentation on post war austerity paper is hard to imagine). And as for 'the procedure' of reporting fortnightly to the desk sergeant at the local nick, on his third visit he was told "Go away, no one is interested'. And so he did, and nothing ill ever came of it...

End tangent.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks for the above positive comments.My first observation….and this admittedly from online images…..is that apart from the white paint  ( Why ? ) on the smokebox hinges and those much debated lamps,I cannot observe much difference. This having removed from its box one of the later release originals R3453  BR l/c 45274, lightly weathered.

This being a model of the loco wrecked in the Sutton Coldfield disaster & subsequently rebuilt at Crewe and returned to traffic….something that Hornby seemed blissfully unaware of when they released it. 

It’s a nice model which performs sweetly. For now,apart from a pre ordered Caprotti,I’ll keep my powder dry and wait until I can get up close & personal for any stimulus to reach for the plastic to consider the new release 

Largely agree. The areas that are better are the front end beneath the running boards, the cylinders and the fact you can’t see daylight from the three quarter rear view, the tender under frame and the under cab pipe work.  Only got the one on order and have 3 brassmaster kits ready to complete my requirements using the 2002 model. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Largely agree. The areas that are better are the front end beneath the running boards, the cylinders and the fact you can’t see daylight from the three quarter rear view, the tender under frame and the under cab pipe work.  Only got the one on order and have 3 brassmaster kits ready to complete my requirements using the 2002 model. 

Thank you for highlighting that. The front end is the area that indeed is  in need of improvement. I shall now know what to look for.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2024 at 20:39, cctransuk said:

..... which all seems rather a faff when the loco lamps were not lit during daylight hours anyway.

Talk about a gimmick for gimmick's sake - Hornby pandering to the trainset brigade again!

CJI.

Hmm - never say 'not'.  Headlamps were of course required to be lit during daylight hours on trains passing through various tunnels.  And, of course, they didn't stop to light them before entering the tunnel so they were lit , usually, for the whole of the journey that included a tunnel (or tunnels) where headlamps were required to be lit.  

So quite right and proper for the headlamps to be lit on many routes during daylight hours.  But the rather more important thing was that usually  the light from the lamps  was in any case near invisible in daylight unless you could see the approaching train absolutely head on.  And very often they weren't that much more visible even at night!  Model railway loco/traction unit lights etc are already far too bright - let alone in many cases also incorrect - on non-steam traction and oil lamp light should be much less visible.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

My Black 5 No.5200 has just turned up in the post.

Very weighty, and a smooth runner although not yet fully run in.

Lamps are indeed replaceable via lamp irons in the accessory bag that also includes additional lamps and the usual recent accessories such as crew etc.

Initial impressions so far are this is excellent. The lamps might be a bit gimmicky for some, but it's fun to have them, they work well and you can replace them. Pictures attached.

IMG_20240416_142457155.jpg

IMG_20240416_142504843_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240416_142533783.jpg

IMG_20240416_142622348.jpg

IMG_20240416_142559514.jpg

IMG_20240416_142513123_HDR.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Hmm - never say 'not'.  Headlamps were of course required to be lit during daylight hours on trains passing through various tunnels.  And, of course, they didn't stop to light them before entering the tunnel so they were lit , usually, for the whole of the journey that included a tunnel (or tunnels) where headlamps were required to be lit.  

So quite right and proper for the headlamps to be lit on many routes during daylight hours.  But the rather more important thing was that usually  the light from the lamps  was in any case near invisible in daylight unless you could see the approaching train absolutely head on.  And very often they weren't that much more visible even at night!  Model railway loco/traction unit lights etc are already far too bright - let alone in many cases also incorrect - on non-steam traction and oil lamp light should be much less visible.

All very true. The exception will be for modern day steam running where mainline loco's carry Network Rail compliant (ie bright) lights  - usually but not always on the middle from lamp bracket. Also some of the preserved lines carry similar lamps but usually in the traditional lamp position. My 'local' preservered line  - the Severn Valley has used battery powered lamps in lieu of oil lamps and these are noticeably brighter (and a different colour temp) to traditional oil lamps. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

The wheel bosses being painted silver just look wrong to me.

https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/photograph-from-the-derby-collection-of-the-lms-no-5157-the-news-photo/90775803

Its polished steel and should be matching the burnished rods and wheel rims.

Even then I doubt that finish lasted beyond a day outside the works… even 5552 didnt last that clean.

LMS Jubilee class 5552 SILVER JUBILEE at an unknown location
Flickr url online

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Ah,so that’s where and how Hornby sourced the “finish”. Basically a cosmetic photo shoot ex-works. Pretty I’m sure but in terms of subsequent authenticity of an in traffic loco a bit like glamour on the red carpet for an Oscar. 

So then,would anyone be tempted to weather this ? It would seem a bit of a shame really.The paint job & lining seem rather well done. Some nice images and I much appreciate that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Ah,so that’s where and how Hornby sourced the “finish”. Basically a cosmetic photo shoot ex-works. Pretty I’m sure but in terms of subsequent authenticity of an in traffic loco a bit like glamour on the red carpet for an Oscar. 

So then,would anyone be tempted to weather this ? It would seem a bit of a shame really.The paint job & lining seem rather well done. Some nice images and I much appreciate that.

Its too matt for ex works - either varnish or weather it I reckon. Hadnt noticed previously the 'cam coupling' securing the tender a good 2 ft further from the cab than it needs to be (but at least its allowed Hornby to model the cab doors in the fully closed position 🤣. )

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, kelsh003 said:

My Black 5 No.5200 has just turned up in the post.

Very weighty, and a smooth runner although not yet fully run in.

Lamps are indeed replaceable via lamp irons in the accessory bag that also includes additional lamps and the usual recent accessories such as crew etc.

Initial impressions so far are this is excellent. The lamps might be a bit gimmicky for some, but it's fun to have them, they work well and you can replace them. Pictures attached.

IMG_20240416_142457155.jpg

IMG_20240416_142504843_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240416_142533783.jpg

IMG_20240416_142622348.jpg

IMG_20240416_142559514.jpg

IMG_20240416_142513123_HDR.jpg

What about the tender lamp?

Is this removable / relocatable?

CJI.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

What about the tender lamp?

Is this removable / relocatable?

CJI.

I don't think so, which doesn't bother me personally. 

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I totally get that, I weather (or have Neville Grove do it ten times better) all my locomotives, but if you see this one, it won’t be easy to do it justice! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kelsh003 said:

I don't think so, which doesn't bother me personally. 

Hopefully not the same on-off system of the Turbomotive? 

• Agree 1