Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling

MoonM

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, JhornG201 said:

World of Railways here reports that the normal (I.e. non smoke generator) Black 5s are due around May 

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/News/Hornby-releases-update-on-2023-announcements

Ahhh, that's handy. The update info on the first page of the 2024 announcement thread was missing the date column for that section.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, JhornG201 said:

World of Railways here reports that the normal (I.e. non smoke generator) Black 5s are due around May 

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/News/Hornby-releases-update-on-2023-announcements

Also said that the sound would use a sensor in the chassis to synch with the piston strokes (same as the P2) which is a big positive for me 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/01/2024 at 23:08, Compound1000 said:

This was the Q&A rather than the range launch video. The new stuff is shown off more in the Range Revealed video with a pacier presentation and a more palatable running time of 26 mins 

Do it live, but get some questions in advance, lift them from the Hornby site or have pre-prepared questions to feed the dialogue.  Invest a little time in pre-production to give the session some structure and the Hornby team can prepare their answers and condense it to 30 minutes or less.  If questions come in "on-air" then have the team field them live - with some excitement.  

It can still come across as natural/conversational - these guys are experts in their field and as we saw from "Hornby: a model world", they can speak quite naturally in front of the camera.  This would allow their enthusiasm to shine through and keep the viewers interested.  In other words: give me a reason to keep watching.

Once the footage is complete, spend a little time in post production to make it more engaging - for example by adding graphics overlays (like a picture of the cover of the new catalogue) or make it more accessible with chapters to help navigate to the relevant/interesting parts of the footage.

It would be interesting to see the analytics on the video, I wonder how many of the 3,800 viewers managed to make it past the first 5 minutes?

I like what Hornby are trying to do, and my observations are offered constructively.  Getting this right could be enormously beneficial for Hornby and the hobby as a whole.  

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

All in all these are shaping up quit nicely. The lamps being positionable and the synchronisation of sound to wheel revolution is great to see in terms of innovation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2024 at 10:38, MikeParkin65 said:

Also said that the sound would use a sensor in the chassis to synch with the piston strokes (same as the P2) which is a big positive for me 

I saw a demo of the P2 with smoke/sound sync at Warley and it was very impressive, at all speeds.

There is also a wheelslip function, which does both smoke/steam (but sadly not the wheelspinning)..

The headlamps being removable / positionable is a great outcome.. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JhornG201 said:

Some new photos of 5200 in today’s Engine shed blog: https://uk.Hornby.com/community/blog-and-news/engine-shed/locomotion-no-1-motion

Lamps don’t look too bad in black (as is correct for LMS I believe) but the mould circles on the frame extensions at the front don’t look good 

Lamps don't look as bad but that is not to say they look good imho so they wont be staying on my BR pre order. Front bogie wheels lack the bevel (which is quite well done on the pony of the recent Riddles 2mt but is absent from the drivers - its the opposite way around with the Black Five!). I'm not a fan of silver paint on the wheels to represent burnished steel but if they are going to persist with it then hopefully on the production version this will include the tyres rather than just the bosses. 

• Like 2

I'm hoping that the moulding marks (including the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock ones on the boiler), gaps all over the place and general wonkiness are a result of this being a pre-production / livery sample. It does say the ropey handrails have been referred back for further work. 

I see the bling brush hasn't been binned yet. At the moment fixing the old one is still my preferred option. 

(Come on Accurascale, you know you want to ...)

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I'm hoping that the moulding marks (including the 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock ones on the boiler), gaps all over the place and general wonkiness are a result of this being a pre-production / livery sample. It does say the ropey handrails have been referred back for further work. 

I see the bling brush hasn't been binned yet. At the moment fixing the old one is still my preferred option. 

Or Ellis Clarke who have of course got all of the research bang up to date and a cracking sound project in the can. Would sell a lot better than a WD 2-10-0 ;)

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I agree the front frame extensions need work, but I'm struggling to see any moulding defects in the boiler.  Do you mean the washout plugs near the firebox?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So, duplication is good, only not when it's Hornby? I'd rather see AS and EC make unique models, like the WD or J69. I have a couple of P2's, have seen the 9f and 2MT, I don't think they're half bad. Must just be me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Johan DC said:

So, duplication is good, only not when it's Hornby? I'd rather see AS and EC make unique models, like the WD or J69. I have a couple of P2's, have seen the 9f and 2MT, I don't think they're half bad. Must just be me. 

I've never said duplication is a bad thing - I've got Classes 24 and Class 37 from both current manufacturers and will no doubt be doing the same with class 25. If a model is good, fits my purpose and has a different running number I'll happily consider and likely buy.

I think for well known mainstream prototypes its almost inevitable that more than one manufacturer will look at the commercial feasibility of a model and they don't come much more mainstream than Black Fives for steam at least. 

PS perfectly happy with my 2 Riddles 2mts - I certainly am not anti Hornby

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

I agree the front frame extensions need work, but I'm struggling to see any moulding defects in the boiler.  Do you mean the washout plugs near the firebox?

No, the lines running from firebox to smokebox above the handrail. You need to open the pics rather than view the thumbnails in the blog to see them. They're on the 2MT as well, I assume they're where the insert for the various topfeed/dome combinations joins in. At least when the seam ran along the top if the boiler it followed an actual joint on the real thing. 

Edited by Wheatley
One tense at a time..
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Or Ellis Clarke who have of course got all of the research bang up to date and a cracking sound project in the can. Would sell a lot better than a WD 2-10-0 ;)

Hey, some of us have been waiting 30 years for an RTR model of "Gordon" in LMR blue! 😉

But I do agree that an EC OO Black 5 would be brilliant to see given how fantastic their O ones look 👌

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Having zoomed the image to 200%, the 'moulding marks' to which you take exception are only visible if one looks for them extremely carefully.

This is a toy train - PLEASE get a sense of proportion!

CJI.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Hey, some of us have been waiting 30 years for an RTR model of "Gordon" in LMR blue! 😉

But I do agree that an EC OO Black 5 would be brilliant to see given how fantastic their O ones look 👌

Worse that waiting for buses - 30 years is a heck of a long time to wait for two to come along!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, The Stationmaster said:

Worse that waiting for buses - 30 years is a heck of a long time to wait for two to come along!

Very true! Although of the two options it was always a forgone conclusion which one I'd choose 😉

• Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, simmo009 said:

I see the prices have crept up again. £230 now for the standard versions,  £293 for the smokies. Glad I pre-ordered at the initial launch price. 

Let's hope you don't regret it when the model arrives and you can assess yourself how good it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Front frame extension still has those small round marks on them, with no sign of lifting rings.

Can you have express headcode lamps illuminated or just class h? Will the top and middle lamps have lamp irons? Much rather have 3d printed lamps than these ones Hornby are providing.

• Like 1