Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling

MoonM

41 minutes ago, Brocp said:

Front frame extension still has those small round marks on them, with no sign of lifting rings.

Can you have express headcode lamps illuminated or just class h? Will the top and middle lamps have lamp irons? Much rather have 3d printed lamps than these ones Hornby are providing.

It was my understanding from previous posts/Hornby that spare lamps and irons would be interchangeable to give the purchaser a choice. I get the distinct feeling the lighting issue will be the same as on the Turbomotive.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, newbryford said:

R30224 showing as arriving soon at Rails

This makes the current 20 year old 8F offering with a 30 year old smokebox door, at approximately £40 higher price, seem even more ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, ColinB said:

I would really like to know the logic for pricing the 8f at such a high price, nobody has as yet given a decent reason.

You're trying to apply normal person logic to Hornby, that's why. It makes sense to one of their marketing or accounting wonks but that's as far as it goes. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ColinB said:

I would really like to know the logic for pricing the 8f at such a high price, nobody has as yet given a decent reason.

The 8f has 8 driving wheels, the Black 5's only got 5 🤪

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

32 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

The 8f has 8 driving wheels, the Black 5's only got 5 🤪

Actually the Black 5 has 6, but I doubt an extra pair of wheels is going to make much difference. You could argue that it is a special chassis because of the extra driving wheels, but then Hornby ceased sharing chassis between models years ago. It is a smaller motor I think, probably the same one fitted to a King or Britannia but again I think those are cheaper than the normal one they use. The thing is, because of Hornby's pricing structure, the other manufacturers models look like a bargain you seem to get so much more for your money. The Black 5 is also a new tooled model so it should be a lot more expensive, to pay for the design of the new tooling.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

This image from Rails of Sheffield gives decent close up views of the front and the lamps/lamp brackets.

image.png.dbb9aa505899f62f09344be1ce7b2cdb.png

With that front led it looks like it should be in Harry Potter. You can get leds that are much smaller, 'You Choos sell them, so surely it not beyond Hornby to use them.

• Agree 2

33 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

But i’m not seeing an nem coupling on that pony truck…

Excellent. Something else I don't have to cut off. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 3
  • Agree 6

On 14/03/2024 at 17:35, Fair Oak Junction said:

This image from Rails of Sheffield gives decent close up views of the front and the lamps/lamp brackets.

Is it just the lamp that makes the smokebox look sort of wrong ..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, daltonparva said:

Is that a technical term?

It must be....we all know exactly what it means.....

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 14/03/2024 at 17:35, Fair Oak Junction said:

That actually looks worse than the Black t Hornby see this replacing. 

The side view of the cylinder/ front bogie area jars as well. Can't put my hoof on it but it looks odd, as if the footplate between the smoke box and buffer beam is marginally ever so slightly too long. Hopefully it's just a wonky photo. 

Rob

* Saying that, the absence of the front steps doesn't help and it would no doubt look better with them so probably all is well. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Agree 1