The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Like a bat out of hell. . . . .

Allegheny1600

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear. 

Everybody, and I mean everybody, seemed to have a copy of Bat out of Hell back in the day and I dare say a lot of us still do. 

A seminal album which will definitely get a play later. 

A 'great set of pipes'. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Will be remembered for some great music for sure! R.I.P. and thank you.

Hope St Peter is a fan if he really is a sinner before the gates of heaven..

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 4

• AY Mod locked this topic

Just think of the music that'll be rocking Heaven now as he'll be meeting up with Jim Steinman again.

Sad day, great singer and another icon of my musical youth sadly departed.

Regards

Neal.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday. It was 1977, the music world had gone disco, the charts were full of squeaking BeeGees, and out of nowhere came a Gothic monstrosity of a rock album with screaming guitars, operatic backing vocals and a lead singer with a voice that  could clean an oven. I listened to Bat with a feeling of redemption.

Meat Loaf has been a constant feature in my music collection ever since - today I had Bat, Bat II, Dead Ringer and the soundtrack album for Bat Out Of Hell: The Musical in the car. (Catch that show if you can - it's amazing. Jim Steinman's songs work so well in the context of a musical storyline). 

The Meat Loaf  / Jim Steinman combination has left a unique legacy to the world of rock music. That big, Wagnerian sound and lyrics sung with passion and commitment is unique.

Rest in Peace, Meat Loaf. The beat is yours forever.

Edited by CameronL
Added a bit
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

A slight tangent, don't forget Jim Steinman's own album, Bad for Good. 

Initially destined for Meatloaf but due to vocal issues he didn't record the album. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Apparently he hadn't been vaccinated.

2 hours ago, CameronL said:

The Meat Loaf  / Jim Steinman combination has left a unique legacy to the world of rock music. That big, Wagnerian sound and lyrics sung with passion and commitment is unique.

Rest in Peace, Meat Loaf. The beat is yours forever.

He was trained as an opera singer, a pretty good tenor by all accounts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I am a lucky enough to have seen Meatloaf at Wembley Arena back in 1999, and whilst I am a fan of his music, his live performance blew me away. What a showman! His performances were pure theatre and what a sound he could create. 

RIP

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

Fantastic HST* music, that and Blondie's "Parallel Lines", driving too fast up and down the A3 late at night all those years ago...

A shameful confession- very early one Sunday morning I once did 130 mph on the Fosse Way east of Nottingham while listening to Bat Out Of Hell.  It was in a 2 litre Vauxhall Cavalier. Happy days. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

On which note, how abut this fab picture from Cris Stein's Facebook page, posted today.

271752414_471461717677240_3560467695246107654_n.jpg.7b32df33916e13a69b80824642807799.jpg

Taken at about the "go faster" time...

Talk about music icons.;)

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

Apologies in advance, but I have just bought a CD which I am a bit obsessed about. It is nothing like "Bat out of Hell", or Blondie (really), and in no way replaces or replicates Bat Out of Hell and its glorious operatic lunacy, and yet reading some of the comments above I think it maybe has some strange resonance with what a lot of us liked when we heard Meatloaf back in 1977.

Anyway, as it appears to be a bit unknown(?) I'll stick my neck out and put a link to it here:

With Monsters and Gods

Feel free to ignore it, I am not saying it is any kind of replacement or substitute, but it sure sounds good played very loud....

A cover of "Call Me", a Ska version of "Jackson" the title track and "Down On Your Knees" - all pretty knee trembling stuff. 

I'm playing it loud now - may my neighbours forgive me!!

I do not mean this disrespectfully to the memory of Meatloaf.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

A slight tangent, don't forget Jim Steinman's own album, Bad for Good. 

Initially destined for Meatloaf but due to vocal issues he didn't record the album. 

Rob. 

And don't forget Jim Steinman's work as sung by Bonnie Tyler.

• Agree 3

I have to share this with y’all.

I used to have the 12” live version of the “Bat out of hell” single, how I wish I still had it. Anyway, it was around 10 or 12 minutes of the most amazing singing and riffs, around the two thirds point, there was a pause and all you could hear was Meatloafs heavy breathing - it was quite memorable!

Sad to say, I inadvertently left all my 12 inches in a drawer in an old flat then the landlord held them hostage until I paid some back rent. I paid the rent but never got my records back.

Justice caught up with the guy though, later he did five years for embezzlement, it didn’t make up for the loss of my collection though.

Well, RIP Meatloaf, thanks for the music 

• Friendly/supportive 3