Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

10 hours ago, Islesy said:

And we’ve explained why that isn’t possible Hound Dog, at the present time.

If, or when, we manage to track down a suitable candidate (Scottish Rig Tug boat anyone?), or find a way of converting archive recordings in a way that we are happy with, we will not be shortchanging our customers with an inferior sound recording. 
Best wishes,

Paul

The point is, even if you went out on a tug boat and recorded the sounds of the engine, there is no way they would replicate the sounds of the Mirrlees in a "class 30". Locomotive power unit rpm is controlled by a control system in the engine room which is also controlled by the locomotive controller. One of thousands of great examples of this was demonstrated every evening on the Fawley-Longport tanks in the1980s. The train was booked relief on the Goods line at Bescot but the drivers liked to relieve on the main.  The driver would waiting  on the cess for the train to run in, and a very quick footplate swap saw the fresh driver in the seat power handle adjusted to get the train on the move, then to "full".  The load regulator in the engine room then automatically feed the engine with the maximum RPM it could take relative to what the traction motors could take.  Every hundred yards you could hear a little more being applied as the heavy train got under way, but it was the load regulator on the Brush which was making the aural changes, as well as generating a huge column of clag - typical of a big Sulzer spooling up. The DCC sound engineers could certainly try but i am guessing it would be nigh on impossible to recrate some of those sounds without the original on=board locomotive sounds available as recordings.        

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Covkid said:

The point is, even if you went out on a tug boat and recorded the sounds of the engine, there is no way they would replicate the sounds of the Mirrlees in a "class 30". Locomotive power unit rpm is controlled by a control system in the engine room which is also controlled by the locomotive controller. One of thousands of great examples of this was demonstrated every evening on the Fawley-Longport tanks in the1980s. The train was booked relief on the Goods line at Bescot but the drivers liked to relieve on the main.  The driver would waiting  on the cess for the train to run in, and a very quick footplate swap saw the fresh driver in the seat power handle adjusted to get the train on the move, then to "full".  The load regulator in the engine room then automatically feed the engine with the maximum RPM it could take relative to what the traction motors could take.  Every hundred yards you could hear a little more being applied as the heavy train got under way, but it was the load regulator on the Brush which was making the aural changes, as well as generating a huge column of clag - typical of a big Sulzer spooling up. The DCC sound engineers could certainly try but i am guessing it would be nigh on impossible to recrate some of those sounds without the original on=board locomotive sounds available as recordings.        

The other problem is a boat won't load the engine up like a loco

There are class 15 sound chips which sound awful as the engine was revved without an electrical load which means the turbos don't spool up the same and the exhaust note is completely different 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, russ p said:

The other problem is a boat won't load the engine up like a loco

There are class 15 sound chips which sound awful as the engine was revved without an electrical load which means the turbos don't spool up the same and the exhaust note is completely different 

Haha.  Yes Russ.  That is what I was actually trying to say !!

And lets not even mention those awful generic sound chips where the "noise" generated by the chip is manipulated to try and represent the notches of the controller.  Some UK locos didn't have notches apart from "off" and "on".

Again some locos can be put into "neutral" to increase RPM to build air etc.  Revving a loco in "neutral" does make  the RPM increase, but as Russ says, because there is no load on the engine crankshaft, it doesn't sound the same.        

Going back to the topic I have always wondered what a Mirrlees would sound like in a Brush Type two, but probably even less different than the Mirrlees in 37901 compared to a standard 12CSVT. Just a different kind of throb. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Islesy said:

And we’ve explained why that isn’t possible Hound Dog, at the present time.

If, or when, we manage to track down a suitable candidate (Scottish Rig Tug boat anyone?), or find a way of converting archive recordings in a way that we are happy with, we will not be shortchanging our customers with an inferior sound recording. 
Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks, but I did manage to read and comprehend the announcement re the Mirrlees engine and lack of recording for same……… However for me a SYE Green version with the English Electric sound package would be a more than welcome alternative, assuming such a combination actually existed in real life.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, thunderer08 said:

Bit of a long shot but would anyone know the first 31 to get platted over communicating doors and when it received that modification and the last to keep them and when it was done?

No idea on specifics, but if it helps, when doing research for prototypes I would say from around 1978 onwards the plated doors started to be more common, and probably early 80's for the last to be done. You'd be best looking at photos of individual locos to be sure.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

Thanks, but I did manage to read and comprehend the announcement re the Mirrlees engine and lack of recording for same……… However for me a SYE Green version with the English Electric sound package would be a more than welcome alternative, assuming such a combination actually existed in real life.

Over forty SYE 31's received EE engines during 1965, the first one being D5677 in 1964. but here are four more off the top of my head, D5591, D5593, D5614, D5632 of which I have photographed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

18 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

However for me a SYE Green version with the English Electric sound package would be a more than welcome alternative, assuming such a combination actually existed in real life.

Given @BrushVeteran 's input regarding SYE 31's being fitted with EE engines, I would like to second @Hound Dog 's suggestion

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Des O'Connor managed to do it for years....

Yes but I am sure Accurascale don’t want to risk a criminal record…. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this question has been asked. But the factory DCC sound version comes with the Accurascale speaker. 

Would this speaker be available for the DCC ready version?

Personally, I don’t really need DCC sound fitted at the moment because haven’t got a layout. But I don’t want to be faffing with speakers and fitting them into the model at a later stage, when there is a speaker that fits perfectly in the model.  

Ideally it would be good to be like the latest Farish 31 where the speaker is factory fitted. So at the later stage you just install the sound decoder and away you go. Because sound decoders are an evolving technology, I don’t really want to buy a sound decoder that isn’t going to be used, just to find its eclipsed by improved technology once I do have a need for sound. 

Naturally I can afford more DCC ready 31s than DCC sound fitted, hence the question about the speaker. 

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, richierich said:

Apologies if this question has been asked. But the factory DCC sound version comes with the Accurascale speaker. 

Would this speaker be available for the DCC ready version?

Personally, I don’t really need DCC sound fitted at the moment because haven’t got a layout. But I don’t want to be faffing with speakers and fitting them into the model at a later stage, when there is a speaker that fits perfectly in the model.  

Ideally it would be good to be like the latest Farish 31 where the speaker is factory fitted. So at the later stage you just install the sound decoder and away you go. Because sound decoders are an evolving technology, I don’t really want to buy a sound decoder that isn’t going to be used, just to find its eclipsed by improved technology once I do have a need for sound. 

Naturally I can afford more DCC ready 31s than DCC sound fitted, hence the question about the speaker. 

Hi Rich,

DC/DCC ready versions do not come with the meaty "accurathrash" speaker installed, but does come with the sugarcube.

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rich,

DC/DCC ready versions do not come with the meaty "accurathrash" speaker installed, but does come with the sugarcube.

Cheers!

Fran 

"accurathrash" speaker.............are these used AC/DC items.

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rich,

Cheers!

Fran 

That puts a whole new complexion on the question  "One lump or two?" when you're talking about the load in the tender of the Manors.

• RMweb Premium

Going back some time, I believe I mentioned the 31 should appear in a wish list posting. Well, ye-ha, it is. However, just a passing thought, it would be great if D5835 was produced, this had a 2,000bhp uprating to its engine, prior to being given an EE 1,470 bhp engine.

7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

That makes the upgrade better value still then! You can only just get a blank LS5 for £90, let alone the file to go on it and a far better speaker that I expect would be at least £15-20 in the retail arena given it looks very similar to EM1 and EM2 (and I presume performance is similar or you'd not be fitting it).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Rich,

Cheers!

Fran 

so can you buy these “Accrathrash” speakers to fit later on?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been looking at photos of 31402 and comparing the prototype in my usual time period (early 1980s) with the Accurascale model.

The obvious difference is that 31402 already had Dominos fitted by the late 1970s.  Other than that, early 1980s photos have glimpses of the old white strip still sowing and the depot sticker was no longer present below the TOPS panel - both of which I can sort easily.

Can anybody think of any other differences that I have over looked please?

That then leads on to a question for @Accurascale Fran and the guys, will the 31s come with a sheet of headcodes which includes dominos as you have done for the 37s/55s?  I am assuming yes, but thought I would check.

Many thanks,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
typo

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I have been looking at photos of 31402 and comparing the prototype in my usual time period (early 1980s) with the Accurascale model.

The obvious difference is that 31402 already had Dominos fitted by the late 1970s.  Other than that, early 1980s photos have glimpses of the old white strip still sowing and the depot sticker was no longer present below the TOPS panel - both of which I can sort easily.

That then leads on to a question for @Accurascale Fran and the guys, will the 31s come with a sheet of headcodes which includes dominos as you have done for the 37s/55s?  I am assuming yes, but thought I would check.

Many thanks,

Roy

Hi Roy,

Naturally! All our headcode locos will come with the sheets of headcodes for customisation to desired routes/styles.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Roy,

Naturally! All our headcode locos will come with the sheets of headcodes for customisation to desired routes/styles.

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran, I thought you would.

I may have to add a third one to my pre-orders 😀

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Many thanks,

Roy

Hi Roy, I was having the same thoughts as you with both 248 and 402!

As Fran has said the dominos can be easily sorted and McC said the same to my earlier post.

I later then realised that by the early 80s the front doors had been plated over and I think the models still have the opening doors looking at the artwork?

I guess it depends how much that bothers you?! I’m going more mid-late 80s so unfortunately they’re probably just a bit too early for me. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Your top picture show all sorts of cabs

But all models listed for sale are shown to have headcode boxes.

Which are which?

image.png

Edited by reddragon

• RMweb Gold

All models listed for sale do not have headcode boxes. I ordered 31110 and it does not have a headcode box.

Edited by BR Blue
Spelling again
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Global said:

Hi Roy, I was having the same thoughts as you with both 248 and 402!

As Fran has said the dominos can be easily sorted and McC said the same to my earlier post.

I later then realised that by the early 80s the front doors had been plated over and I think the models still have the opening doors looking at the artwork?

I guess it depends how much that bothers you?! I’m going more mid-late 80s so unfortunately they’re probably just a bit too early for me. 

You are quite right, and I did look at those doors back when first released and then forgot about them!

31402 still had doors in July 79, but they were plated over by April 81, when it still seems to have had a white stripe. Will have to find more photos, and possible add the white stripe. 

Roy