W&U Tramcar

rapidoandy

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Jenny Emily said:

These are beautiful items. I can see them selling exceptionally well. I still can’t get over how small they are! 

F33415E6-912E-4FE5-8752-01B1F4A3BFDA.jpeg.0ff89fc5a4d4343441184caf79c44bdb.jpeg

It would be interesting to see one alongside one of the generic coaches from Hattons or Hornby. I have ordered the Maroon and grey set and a Hattons GER liveried full brake.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

It would be interesting to see one alongside one of the generic coaches from Hattons or Hornby. I have ordered the Maroon and grey set and a Hattons GER liveried full brake.

These are physically much smaller than normal carriages. In Jenny's photo above you can see the height difference between the coach and the J70. There'll be a similar difference between the Hattons coaches and the tram coaches. 

WisbechandUpwellTramwaypostcardc1910-1.jpg.0ffd74eff9bb6f29ad419595b4994d72.jpg

Pretty certain the tram coaches in the above image are the 4whl jobs but the height etc was consistant with the bogie equivalent. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

These are physically much smaller than normal carriages. In Jenny's photo above you can see the height difference between the coach and the J70. There'll be a similar difference between the Hattons coaches and the tram coaches. 

Pretty certain the tram coaches in the above image are the 4whl jobs but the height etc was consistant with the bogie equivalent. 

Rob. 

I think that the Hattons four wheel full brake is most like the GER full brake. Now we need some GER passenger rated fruit vans.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Payment links for our new Wisbech & Upwell Tramcars/Titfield Thunderbolt Buffet Cars are being sent out at the moment, so Dan's made a handy video of how to remove the roof in order to fit figures (without damaging the model)!

See it here:

• Like 7

23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob. 

The second carriage is a bogie tram car, followed by two four-wheelers.

Edited by Pint of Adnams
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

Here's one of two W&U carriages sandwiched between a G15 and what I presume is a brake van. You can see how muh lower they are than both the loco and the van.

DSX8z5sXkAERzkO.jpg.883c4f5885950eca9ad42db99524b0a6.jpg

I notice that the locomotive has express head code.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MarkSG said:

Here's one of two W&U carriages sandwiched between a G15 and what I presume is a brake van. You can see how muh lower they are than both the loco and the van.

Lovely detail of the station lamps in that image. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, MarkSG said:

The full compliment! A bogie tramcar a 4 wheel tramcar and GE No.16, which was a D.501 brake coach converted for use on the tramway.

A kit for No.16 is available from Eveleigh Creations.

- James

Edited by Jammy2305
Spelling
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, Jammy2305 said:

A kit for No.16 is available from Eveleigh Creations.

How easy is the kit to build?  The follow up question is how good does it looks alongside these tramcars from Rapido (which I'm assuming no-one can answer just yet).   I'm aware that there is also a 3D printed body for No 16 on Shapeways website, but no idea how it compares to the one from Eveleigh Creations.  I'm assuming that Rapido have no interest in producing this coach given its lack of use after the withdrawal of W&U passenger services, but it would be good to have a model of No 16 to a comparable standard.

Looking at running mileages for each coach in 1914 indicates that No 16 was used far more than any of the other coaches and it appears that it ran in almost all scheduled services in GER days.  There were only a small proportion of services that year that didn't contain No 16, where it appears that an ordinary goods brake was used instead (although I've never seen a photograph that shows this).  Presumably that was a substitution due to maintenance requirements.  That means that it's very difficult to operate a correct W&U tram without it.

My tramcars will come with the GER train packs, which means waiting a bit longer to see these 'in the flesh'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dungrange said:

How easy is the kit to build?  The follow up question is how good does it looks alongside these tramcars from Rapido (which I'm assuming no-one can answer just yet).   I'm aware that there is also a 3D printed body for No 16 on Shapeways website, but no idea how it compares to the one from Eveleigh Creations.  I'm assuming that Rapido have no interest in producing this coach given its lack of use after the withdrawal of W&U passenger services, but it would be good to have a model of No 16 to a comparable standard.

Looking at running mileages for each coach in 1914 indicates that No 16 was used far more than any of the other coaches and it appears that it ran in almost all scheduled services in GER days.  There were only a small proportion of services that year that didn't contain No 16, where it appears that an ordinary goods brake was used instead (although I've never seen a photograph that shows this).  Presumably that was a substitution due to maintenance requirements.  That means that it's very difficult to operate a correct W&U tram without it.

My tramcars will come with the GER train packs, which means waiting a bit longer to see these 'in the flesh'.

I've not built mine yet but it seems straight forward and from others I've seen, the finished coaches look the part!

- James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MarkSG said:

So is my Titfield one. I'm still dithering about getting a pair of faux-BR livery ones.

They ran on the Tollesbury branch up until about 1951. The livery was altered under BR but not very much, the removal of the LNER lettering and a letter E* in front of the number. *The letter E, from the LNER lettering was in the same style as the number but a lot brighter. They must have found some transfers in a drawer somewhere and applied them to the coaches. On the Tollesbury Light Railway they ran with some modified six wheel coaches, a brake third and a full third. The modifications were the fitting of smaller wheels to match the floors with the W&U coaches (and alterations to the buffers) and fitting of end doors for the conductor/guard to collect fares. The Hattons generic coaches in LNER brown make a fair representation of the GER coaches used.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The Hattons generic coaches in LNER brown make a fair representation of the GER coaches used.

My two coaches should be on their way soon.

The Hatton's six wheel brake third has the ducket towards the middle of the coach while their four wheel brake thirds have the duckets at the end, which is prototypical for the converted six wheel brake thirds used on the The Tollesbury Light Railway. They did have some older four wheel brake thirds which the six wheel converted coaches replaced around 1931. 

I'm thinking of converting a Hattons four wheel coach but I'll have to get one first.

Edited by JShow
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, JShow said:

My two coaches should be on their way soon.

The Hatton's six wheel brake third has the ducket towards the middle of the coach while their four wheel brake thirds have the duckets at the end, which is prototypical for the converted six wheel brake thirds used on the The Tollesbury Light Railway. They did have some older four wheel brake thirds which the six wheel converted coaches replaced around 1931. 

I'm thinking of converting a Hattons four wheel coach but I'll have to get one first.

The six wheel full brake has the guards compartment on the end. It's a pity that they don't produce a four wheel full brake which would be ideal for the W&U.

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

The eagle-eyed might notice that the BR Maroon version of E60462 inhabits an alternate universe where it was fitted with a bar in real life (not just in the film) and retained it after filming ended.

That represents the preserved example. They never received BR maroon they were withdrawn in LNER brown. The preserved one does have the bar as I described on another thread a couple of days ago.

Edited by PhilJ W

Just now, PhilJ W said:

That represents the preserved example. They never received BR maroon they were withdrawn in LNER brown. The preserved one does have the bar as I described on this thread a couple of days ago.

These are an entirely fictions livery and so represent a what if scenario.

As described above the bar was only a film set but in this fictitious scenario where they received maroon livery why not say it had the bar as well.

They look rather fetching in BR Maroon as mine turned up this morning and I've not stopped admiring them since

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

That represents the preserved example. They never received BR maroon they were withdrawn in LNER brown. The preserved one does have the bar as I described on this thread a couple of days ago.

Yeah no kidding 😉 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Apologies, I posted it on the Titfield Thunderbird thread, this is the actual post:-

On 02/11/2023 at 16:09, PhilJ W said:

The models are of the Titfield coach and the one preserved on the NNR. Neither of the original coaches had a bar and the bar featured in the film was a studio set, the coach was unaltered. The preserved coach on the NNR originally never had a bar and it was added during restoration. The bars in both coaches were fictional, one to support the storyline in the film and the other as a revenue stream for the preserved railway.

• Like 2