Bachmann MCC (Model Collect Create) Centre - Hinckley

AY Mod

• Moderators

Whilst we were off air Phil and I were invited to preview Bachmann's new venture.

Exciting new model and hobby store opening in Hinckley A new store with a difference is opening soon in Castle Street, Hinckley in Leicestershire.

MCC4.jpg

MCC Store is a subsidiary of Bachmann Europe, a local company who have been manufacturing and distributing high quality model and hobby products for over 30 years. With the support of Bachmann, MCC aims to bring hobbies back to the high street! In addition to the fantastic range of products, the store aims to engage with customers through workshops and demonstrations. These will be held throughout the year and details will be posted on the MCC Store Facebook page.

Project Manager Jon Gibbs said “During the pandemic we have seen a huge surge in interest for modelling products, with people revisiting past hobbies and having more time to spare. The aim of the store is to get people to put down their screens and create something amazing using the products on offer and expert advice on hand. This is a store for all members of the family to enjoy, with products for all ages and abilities. Within the store, there is a fantastic range of materials to support school projects and encourage creativity. We have a great team here who can’t wait to welcome visitors”.

MCC8.jpg

There is a huge selection of products on display including plastic kits, model scenery, educational toys, model trains, collectables and flying toys. Younger visitors can also look forward to visiting the children’s craft and play table, which allows mum and dad the chance to browse the shop at their leisure. The 135sqm store has created 5 new jobs and is located on Castle Street in Hinckley.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

This is a great idea model collect create. I like the fact they are not competing with other model shops and I like the idea of bringing people in and having a go at some sort of modelling. Very family friendly. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, w124bob said:

This would be my only excuse for visiting Hinckley! Born the town, grew up in Barwell and have only been back twice in the last 35 years. 

In its defence, the Triumph Factory Visitor Centre is free and we’ll worth a visit even if you aren’t into motorbikes. If you are, then the factory tours (for a very small charge) are also well worth pre-booking for.

Being relatively new to the area, I find the town centre interesting to walk around for its varied architectural styles. There are a few good small independent retailers and some nice places to eat too. 

The Battlefield Line is just a few miles away, and Statfold Barn is only a few more.

I know what you mean though. I spent 40 years living in the same town I grew up in and it’s never been quite the same as I remember when I go back.

Edited by norfolkchinaclay
Spelling
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, norfolkchinaclay said:

In its defence, the Triumph Factory Visitor Centre is free and we’ll worth a visit even if you aren’t into motorbikes. If you are, then the factory tours (for a very small charge) are also well worth pre-booking for.

When I started reading that I wasn’t thinking motorbikes…

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

I think the idea is a good one, my only concern - and I get why they’re doing it - is that Bachmann RRP could, I imagine, put as many people off the hobby as the shop concept attracts! 

If I was a kid now I think £450 on a PlayStation 5 (Argos online price at moment) or for a Deluxe 47 and a Mk2F coach I know where I’d be going! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

That is the danger . Ive heard folks at exhibitions obviously interested then visiting stalls and being appalled at £300 for a diesel . Then they work out that building a nice wee collection would cost loads . Thats the critical point , and as you say people then make comparisons to other forms of entertainment , Plystations , iPhones etc 

Edited by Legend
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Legend said:

Ive heard folks at exhibitions obviously interested then visiting stalls and being appalled at £300 for a diesel 

The same folk that were grumbling 15 years ago when they went past the £100 mark. That's just who and what they are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Legend said:

That is the danger . Ive heard folks at exhibitions obviously interested then visiting stalls and being appalled at £300 for a diesel . Then they work out that building a nice wee collection would cost loads . Thats the critical point , and as you say people then make comparisons to other forms of entertainment , Plystations , iPhones etc 

So the solution is to sell models at a loss - sorry, they tried that years ago and it wasn't great business.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The point being made is that prices are becoming or are already unsustainable for many people.

We are in a very large worldwide crisis at this point in time , war, fuel costs ,food costs, refugees  etc etc.

Model trains and all/similar hobbies are a very low priority to the vast majority of people. Bachmann et al need to try and reduce prices if they are to stay in business at all. Reduce detail and/or supply more parts to be added by the buyer are obvious solutions there are others means as well.

Most on here are very lucky, they bought the vast amount of their collections years ago.

Who would like to be someone just starting out at £200 plus for a Loco and £40 for a simple Van?.

Answer very few.

• Agree 16

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

So the solution is to sell models at a loss - sorry, they tried that years ago and it wasn't great business.

Of course not. But at Bachmann RRP we are some distance from making a loss . They may have more success in kits , though , which  tend to be less expensive ranging upto large Battleships and the 1/200 Titanic . Very impressive .    I  think I spotted an Academy 1/144 B52 which in most places comes in at £35-£37 which will be much more attractive to the casual browser .  Looks like a great range and I wish it success . Really Glasgow would be an ideal spot for this since Modelzone disappeared, with very few model shops around . Amazing in a City that hosts Model Rail Scotland with lots of local interest . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Administrators
Just now, micklner said:

The point being made is that prices are becoming or are already unsustainable for many people.

We are in a very large worldwide crisis at this point in time , war, fuel costs ,food costs, refugees  etc etc.

Model trains and all/similar hobbies are a very low priority to the vast majority of people. Bachmann et al need to try and reduce prices if they are to stay in business at all. Reduce detail and/or supply more parts to be added by the buyer are obvious solutions there are others means as well.

Most on here are very lucky, they bought the vast amount of their collections years ago.

Who would like to be someone just starting out at £200 plus for a Loco and £40 for a simple Van?.

Answer very few.

The first recorded price moan I can find was in 1946. The writer basically said the same thing you have just done, yet the hobby is still here 76 years later. 

Reducing detail sounds like "Design clever", which didn't exactly pan out well. Letting people put the details on sounds like ViTrains - met with howls because putting a pre-made handrail into pre-drilled holes is (according to many posters) too difficult.

None of the new entrants to the hobby have gone down the chaep'n'cheerful route, which I think tells us something about the shape of the market. You'd think a number of "experts" on here could enter the market with a budget range and mop up all the money in the hobby, yet it hasn't ever happened.

The price arguments are endless, and utterly fruitless.

• Like 8

• Administrators
Just now, Legend said:

Of course not. But at Bachmann RRP we are some distance from making a loss

Go on. Put some hard numbers on that.

Unless you know how much a model costs to produce, shipe etc. then you can't judge how much money anyone is making. We do know that not many years ago, we were told that models were being sold at least than cost price.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, micklner said:

Bachmann et al need to try and reduce prices if they are to stay in business at all.

Can we just leave this threadbare narrative out of it as it's worn out after years of repetition, they're selling what they produce and are still here and investing in future projects.

Not in the mood for perpetual moaning, I've had a pleasant rest from it for 10 days.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

9 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Can we just leave this threadbare narrative out of it as it's worn out after years of repetition, they're selling what they produce and are still here and investing in future projects.

Not in the mood for perpetual moaning, I've had a pleasant rest from it for 10 days.

Sorry its not moaning there is overwhelming evidence.

Some  people and companies need to wake up to what happening in the world outside and that it appears to be getting worse by the day at the moment !!.

Very sad times.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, micklner said:

Very sad times

Yes, that's the real world but it doesn't mean I, and others who comment about you, have to listen to moaning Mick's worn out record. Next time I see it you can just go on the moderation queue. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1