Humbrol Enamel Paints

Norton961

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Not sure if this has been flagged up elsewhere.

Humbrol enamels no longer on sale.

https://testvalleymodels.com/blogs/the-sprue-cutter/humbrol-enamel-paints-and-test-valley-models

This is terrible news!

I've tried using acrylics but just can't get on with them, especially for weathering - they seem to dry too quickly and too permanently for the way I do things.  Luckily I have built up reasonable stocks of the ones I use most but they won't last for ever and there will be some that I would want to buy sooner rather than later.

First thoughts are that other ranges of enamel paints are available such as Phoenix Precision and Railmatch, which contain several general colours, but are more expensive.  But presumably they are subject to the same legislation as well?

1 hour ago, Wheatley said:

The EU Chemical Labelling and Packaging Regulation been retained in UK law as the  'GB CLP Regulation', details on the HSE website for anyone bored enough to wade through them. 

No idea on whether or how that affects Humbrol paint. 

Yes. I dug a little deeper after I posted that and deleted most of the post. 

It seems to be something to do with MEKO being used as an "anti skinning agent". Whether that means other enamels are also affected is not clear. It might just be a case of changing the recipe slightly.

Most of the Humbrol paints do have an equivalent in the Revell range for example. I'm pretty sure there is a chart somewhere online with the details.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

9 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yes. I dug a little deeper after I posted that and deleted most of the post. 

It seems to be something to do with MEKO being used as an "anti skinning agent". Whether that means other enamels are also affected is not clear. It might just be a case of changing the recipe slightly.

Most of the Humbrol paints do have an equivalent in the Revell range for example. I'm pretty sure there is a chart somewhere online with the details.

Jason

I made myself a chart of their respective ranges, but I could not find any way to match them to each other. They have quite a few which don't seem to appear in each others' ranges.

Revell have also published RAL codes for some of their colours but this is something I have not found for other ranges.

• Informative/Useful 1

Any use?

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/media/downloads/Revell_Paint_Conversion_Chart_Mag.pdf

Not the one I found previously but may be helpful with some colours.

Also one on the Humbrol website.

https://uk.humbrol.com/support-and-advice/advice/humbrol-wallchart

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

We still await any official notification from Hornby, which considering we buy Humbrol paints from them is very poor.

Thankfully, information has dribbled through from other sources, although often this was confused as to exactly what action we needed to take.

At a time when we are worrying about how the cost of living will affect sales going into the future, we now need to write off thousands of pounds of stock of a range which we sell a lot of, as well as withdraw that range from sale. And there is no recompense for most of that stock.

I am sure I am not the only frustrated retailer about this.

• Friendly/supportive 15

This means I am going to have to eke out my remaining paints as long as possible, problem is that I've got a few where the remaining pigment is getting really gunky and tacky in the bottom of the tin, I seem to remember a discussion here a while back of topping up tinlets with a replacement carrier medium oil (linseed?) but I can't find it now, does anyone have any tips on what to use?

(I have gradually been siphoning the oil off without disturbing the pigment from other old tinlets in my collecction of colours I no longer use from military modelling days, bronze green, olive drab etc. but would prefer not to...)

• Like 1

Thanks to all who have provided information above, I too was wondering what was happening to Humbrol and I rely on it for much of my painting. It sound as if retailers have been severely affected and are seriously out of pocket. I wonder what will happen to the stock piles of “illegal” paint, I suspect I would join the queue if some shady character was selling it for cash on street corners, maybe it will leak out via eBay. 

Meanwhile it looks like I will have to start using acrylics. Like others on here I have had little success in the past and feel like it’s too late in life to be learning new tricks. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I made myself a chart of their respective ranges, but I could not find any way to match them to each other. They have quite a few which don't seem to appear in each others' ranges.

Revell have also published RAL codes for some of their colours but this is something I have not found for other ranges.

Try these:

https://www.modelshade.com/

https://www.paint4models.com/ultimate.html

https://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?t=9

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2022 at 09:00, Mike at C&M said:

We still await any official notification from Hornby, which considering we buy Humbrol paints from them is very poor.

Thankfully, information has dribbled through from other sources, although often this was confused as to exactly what action we needed to take.

At a time when we are worrying about how the cost of living will affect sales going into the future, we now need to write off thousands of pounds of stock of a range which we sell a lot of, as well as withdraw that range from sale. And there is no recompense for most of that stock.

I am sure I am not the only frustrated retailer about this.

It sounds unusual for a retailer to be ordered to stop selling existing stock. IIRC, stocks of now-banned garden weedkillers left the shelves as consumers stocked up (a bit of panic buying I guess) and were not re-stocked. Perhaps you can sell the existing stock to exhaustion?

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

It's very obvious that in reality, something legally sold a few days ago is not suddenly going to present an imminent threat to humanity and I've no doubt it's Hornby's lawyers that have forced this move. 

I suspect that a number of retailers will, either through economic necessity or an aversion to such obviously pettifogging legal directions, just continue to sell their stocks. Whilst there are potential legal ramifications the real and actual 'risk' is of course non-existent and I do have great sympathy for the retail trade.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

As someone who in the past has been secretly checked for our shop abiding by legislation about what we can and cannot sell, we are not going to be the shop to run the risk of being caught for selling something that is no longer legal.

Edited by Mike at C&M
missed word
  • Friendly/supportive 8

I asked in my local model shop earlier this week and they are awaiting their whole display stand and stock to go back. Apparently there will be a reformulated range reintroduced but there will be a gap before that’s available. Seems Humbrol may have not been given much notice themselves of the law change. Not good to find one of your bestselling ranges is suddenly considered carcinogenic!

David

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Is this another case of Hornby not being on top of things and their mistakes then having impacts on their resellers?

Concentrating too much on making cosy TV programmes about themselves?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Does seem odd its only Humbrol that we are seeing issues on and that Revell or other paints unaffected . It maybe to do with formulation , but is Humbrol really unique?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 05/04/2022 at 19:39, pete_mcfarlane said:

I have a weird box of paints. Some old tins of Humbrol (including some inherited from my Grandfather that are over 50 years old and perfectly usable after a stir) and the newer ones that don't seem to last 5 minutes. 

Completely agree with you, ever since they brought the manufacture of the paints back to the UK, they've been ****(not very good)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I saw Humbrol in Boyes a few days ago when visiting family in Grantham  - according to their website they have around 60 shops in the Midlands and the North. Also stock Vallejo and Citadel (Games Workshop).

• Agree 2

I am sure a lot of members will be aware that Humbrol Enamel paints have been withdrawn from from the Humbrol website. Shops have been told that it is illegal to sell them as they contain a substance called MEKO. This certainly applies to the EU REACH regulations. I am informed  that the UK adopted a lot of the EU REACH Regs but not all them.

Do we have any member who can be classed as an expert in this field? Simple question is, are Humbrol enamels illegal to sell, solely to the UK?

Apparently Hornby are willing to take back all stock bought this year, but not before the 1st January and credit those paints. They are also offering to take back all enamels and destroy them free of charge, but with no recompense.