BR Dia. 1/191OAA Open Wagon

rapidoandy

3 hours ago, WCML100 said:

@rapidoandy Are there any plans for a EWS mesh sided version of the OAA in the future? I think these would sell well personally :) 

A good shout. If possible,  it'd be nice if the EWS and Mendip Pool branding boards could be user added, as some wagons lost them or never had them.

Jo

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, young37215 said:

The Rapido website states Feb 2023 for delivery; clearly that is going to be missed. Anyone heard anything more about when these might be arriving?

Oh me me!! I know!

Sadly I have been off as I have a poorly toddler and not

got round to updating a few things.

The OAA is really not far off finished. I’m hoping we may get a few samples flown over in time for Ally Pally. Then it’s the mercy of shipping by sea - the reality is it’s probably going to be the end of April or so.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

The delivery schedule on the Rapido Website has them as delayed. And a brief scan of todays newsletter doesn't give any info (unless I've missed it). I suspect we may be waiting a few more months.

PJ10

Edited by PJ10
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
7 minutes ago, young37215 said:

We are now into late summer, I cannot find anything by way of an update or anticipated delivery date either on Rapido's website or RMWeb. Can we have a progress report please?

Bottom of the latest Newsletter ................ they are made and on the high seas from China

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, young37215 said:

We are now into late summer, I cannot find anything by way of an update or anticipated delivery date either on Rapido's website or RMWeb. Can we have a progress report please?

Certainly. The revised liveries have been approved and currently expected Oct 2023:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/delivery-schedule/

There's a little bit in the latest newsletter about them too. It's worth subscribing for product updates.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It is mid October and Rapido's website still shows the OAA's as due this month. I cannot find any other information (and have no interest in newsetters), does anybody have an uodate on when we might expect these to be available? 

Edited by young37215

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 19/10/2023 at 08:11, young37215 said:

It is mid October and Rapido's website still shows the OAA's as due this month. I cannot find any other information (and have no interest in newsetters), does anybody have an uodate on when we might expect these to be available? 

What versions of the models are we thinking for WHL trains? I think I've seen a few on Ernie's Flickr pages in RF red/grey. Any thoughts?   

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

What versions of the models are we thinking for WHL trains? I think I've seen a few on Ernie's Flickr pages in RF red/grey. Any thoughts?   

Hello @Daddyman

I've not come across many (if any) OAA wagons in RF red/grey on the West Highland Line (WHL) but have seen plenty of photos of OBAs (with the higher ends) in this livery.

There are quite a few photos of OAAs in the Bauxite liveries and there is a video clip of 9 being shunted at Mallaig Jct (will try and find it again.)

I think that the OAAs were used for 2 different traffic flows both to and from Corpach, these being baled wood pulp in and finished paper products out and it is not unusual to find photos of both loaded and empty OAAs travelling in the same train (usually seperated by a couple of vans) in both Northbound and Southbound trains in the late 70s / early 80s.

Obviously then the Corpach lettered version would be appropriate but so also would the other Bauxite liveried models.

I wouldn't rule out an odd RF red / grey OAA wagon or two (I have 4 in my N gauge stock) but in the main Bauxite is best.

Hope this helps, I've posted at least one photo (from Flickr) earlier on this thread and also I think in @young37215 exellent WHL v.4 thread of OAAs on the WHL as it was discussed there a while back.

Regards,

Ian.

Edited by 03060
Corrections
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that, Ian. After I posted I went through all Ernie's WHL albums and can't definitely say there are any - one or two in bauxite possibly. Can't remember now where I saw photos, and what date they were. Do you happen to know how long they lasted on the WHL? I'm feeling it might be better investing in OBAs for 1985-7. 

Sorry, Paul, I should have said: was talking about mid- to late 1980s WHL. 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Thanks for that, Ian. After I posted I went through all Ernie's WHL albums and can't definitely say there are any - one or two in bauxite possibly. Can't remember now where I saw photos, and what date they were. Do you happen to know how long they lasted on the WHL? I'm feeling it might be better investing in OBAs for 1985-7. 

Sorry, Paul, I should have said: was talking about mid- to late 1980s WHL. 

I would suspect OBAs and OCAs in use on the Corpach flows by 1985 but will check my notes and a few photos.

Regards,

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Likewise, just to prove myself wrong I've found this June 1986 photo also by John Whiteley, lead wagon being an OAA.

Nearing County March Summit.

I've also found images of Railfreight Red / Grey liveried examples on the WHL, one behind 20213 (by Don Gatehouse) and another that I thought I'd posted on here earlier (but possibly on an N gauge OAA thread ??)  Showing both a Bauxite and a R/f Red/Grey OAAs dissapearing into the sunset near Corrour.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a number of bauxite and railfreight red/grey images of OAA's on Flickr from the late 70's until the mid 80's if you look hard which leads me to the view that either livery option would be representative of the period. In terms of the balance between OAA and OBA/OCA, it should be borne in mind that the number of OAA's at 100 compares with the 1000 plus OBA/OCA hence it seems reasonable for the OBA/OCA to appear more frequently. In addition to those posted by 03060 above, bauxite examples below

June 1981 

37039, Crianlarich

June 1982

Corpach trip

October 1983

37037 Corrour 5Oct83a

February 1985

Roy Bridge.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Rob, you've posted the 'going into the sunset' photo that I couldn't find again this afternoon .... but I did find this 1985 one by Ex-Tractor Fan (possibly of this parish ?) again depicting empty Bauxite and R/f liveried OAAs heading North. I'll stop now .... promise !

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/10/2023 at 13:17, aureol40012 said:

Update on Hattons website today.

46B80AB9-240F-412B-85E8-332A48BE2B3A.png

I asked Rapido at Warley for an update on OAA delivery and was advised that the expectation was they should be in shops before Christmas. I did'nt ask which year but I did get a sneaky preview of some of the demonstration OAA's which were very nice. Rapido also pointed out that a major contributor to the delay was the unacceptable first production samples from China which Rapido chose to have reworked.  

Here's hoping for a nice Christmas surprise. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1