BR Dia. 1/191OAA Open Wagon

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

I've had my two from Derails. They look excellent and have weight which is excellent

I've installed KDs  for use on Penmaenbach - I found the legs of the couplers  needed a little "bending" upwards to ensure they fitted with the height gauge....and I popped the NEM pockets out of the mountings with a knife blade to make TL removal and KD installation a little less fraught....the NEM connections look very delicate....

Chris H

• Rapido staff
56 minutes ago, Matt said:

Mine arrived too. Agree with others views on these being nicely made - nice thin sides, lovely under frame and detailing and nicely painted and printed.

My only slight surprise / disappointment was that my wagons with replaced woodwork are printed exactly the same on each side - i.e. the exact same planks have been replaced on each side diagonally opposite each other. I’m guessing that printing different variations on each side would have cost more? It’s a small thing though as I can’t think of any layout configuration where you see both sides of a wagon at the same time…

M

Glad you like them - the artwork reference pictures typically only had views of one side so rather than take a guess we decided to apply the same to both sides.

• Like 3

Mine arrived yesterday. This is quite a weighty wagon. And the underframe detail is excellent. Running qualities are perfect. Have the wheel sets changed since the VIX vans?

Here she is with a few Bachmann wagons and a Helgan 33. Last photo shows the vast superiority of Underframe detail vs Bachmann:

OAA01.jpg

OAA02.jpg

OAA03.jpg

OAA04.jpg

OAA05.jpg

OAA06.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Daddyman said:

These do look good. How strong is the brake lever guard/ratchet? On the Bachmann AB wagons and the Hornby OTAs it was always the first thing to snap. 

I reckon it's a more accurate representation, it should be more fragile however it appears a better quality material so I have no worries 

The level of detail on these wagons is very impressive. I liked the way the buffers have been picked out in green primer. Something seen on a lot of wagons but rarely on models. Strangely, the green part of the buffer shank retracts which isn't correct as far as I know. The buffer shank could benefit from a touch of silver paint.

The finish is slightly glossy which is great for a new wagon but could do with a quick pass of matt varnish for a typical condition. I can't wait to get to work weathering mine. Here it is next to a Bachmann OBA and a 40+ year old Hornby OAA which is destined for the scrap box. (I never did get round to lowering the ride height and my weathering consisted of painting the wagon with matt black enamel which was then wiped off and a rusty wash to the underframe. Hopefully, my attempts to weather the Rapido version will be a bit more subtle!) As noted in other posts, this is a step up from the Bachmann OBA in terms of underframe detail.

oaa1.jpg.887d2c8ae8a5bf87adf6aae1b5444c55.jpg

oaa2.jpg.ba7c970c6cf8665531e65c27030b04ab.jpg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

PIcked up 100029 from my LHS today. An absolutely beautiful creation with a lovely "mass" thanks to the metal floor.  I wasn't intending to have much air braked wagonry but cannot less this one pass !!

Anyone fitted Kadees yet ? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Covkid said:

PIcked up 100029 from my LHS today. An absolutely beautiful creation with a lovely "mass" thanks to the metal floor.  I wasn't intending to have much air braked wagonry but cannot less this one pass !!

Anyone fitted Kadees yet ? 

Kadees? Looks like they are fitted on Gilbert’s photo post above?

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, aureol40012 said:

Kadees? Looks like they are fitted on Gilbert’s photo post above?

They are.

NEM  KD18s were rather droopy/low so I removed the pockets and fitted KD 147s (Medium underset) in 252 snap together small pockets which I have fitted with small screws in such a way that the NEM pockets can be re-fitted if required in future.

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

They are.

NEM  KD18s were rather droopy/low so I removed the pockets and fitted KD 147s (Medium underset) in 252 snap together small pockets which I have fitted with small screws in such a way that the NEM pockets can be re-fitted if required in future.

Chris H

Many thanks, any chance of a photo from underneath to see how you fitted Kadees?

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Many thanks, any chance of a photo from underneath to see how you fitted Kadees?

Here you go...not great photos but they do the job. I shunt on a small layout and find a bit of drag increases coupler reliability - hence the foam.

53447353317_2e0f089c46_c.jpg

53448693425_7e86f59c98_z.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Many thanks.

Looking at my photos I may have added a smalll styrene block to the underframe where the screw is located...

Nice easy EM conversion using original wheels opened out and supplied cranked brake disc shoes. Thanks Rapido for accommodating the finer scale brigade . Just a small plea , could the tales on the superb screw couplings be made a bit longer as they are capable of being used . I have them running on my Shenston road using supplied couplings but would have liked a bit more to push into the buffer beam to aid fixing so to speak. Nice one Rapido great value. 

• Like 1

‘Damed if you do & damed if you don’t’.

Hi All,

I picked up 3 of these OAA open wagons recently & these are absolutely superb.

I opted for the variants with ‘repaired planking’ which creates a patchwork effect & once weathered these will look even better.

The features included on these wagons are a diecast body providing some much needed weight for an open wagon, sprung buffers (although not prototypically correct) & an amazing amount of under frame detail never seen before on a wagon!

There are 17 (yes 17!) different wagons available in a number of liveries ideal for era 7 & 8 modellers. These include several in bauxite, a number in Railfreight red & grey (2 plank & 3 plank), civil engineers ‘Dutch’ livery, an EWS version in maroon on its way plus several with patchwork repairs as mentioned previously.

An opposing perspective…..

Although these are undoubtedly an incredible piece of miniature modelling, do they need to be?

Now, I have spent my hard earned cash & can not disagree with the fidelity of these wagons, but…..

Are sprung buffers needed on a model? 

Do they provide a real benefit?

The under frame detail is incredible, however most of this is actually under the wagon & won’t be seen. 

Is this really required?

And introducing so many versions all at one time is this necessary?

Now there may be manufacturing benefits to this last point that we are not aware of. But, although this many versions does indeed provide a greater choice to the consumer, would we still be satisfied if only half the quantity was launched?

There are potential cost benefits for manufacturers if the comments above were adhered to with reduced development costs & and a potential quicker launch to market.

The selling RRP would/could be reduced due to the above also.

A win - win situation.

Would modellers be satisfied with this?

Remember, from most viewing distances a lot if not all of this detail is unseen.

Food for thought, especially in the current climate.

Let me know what you think.

IMG_6458.jpeg

Edited by Going2theDogs
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Going2theDogs said:

And introducing so many versions all at one time is this necessary?

Does it encourage us to spend more money?  I'd say the answer is yes.  I've several Bachmann wagons where I've bought one each year over several years as they've released a new livery variant, but this means that my spending is 'slow burn'.  Conversely, because many of the newer entrants are offering several models in the same or complementary livery with different numbers, I buy more (because there is no need to hope that someone offers a renumbering pack).  I've just bought 24 ostensibly similar wagons from Revolution Trains simply because I can buy a whole trainload with unique number at once.  That therefore means that from the manufacturers point of view, they get a larger share of my money quicker and therefore that reduces the time taken to recover the tooling costs.  Yes, there is additional cost in approving additional artwork and changing the tampo printing, but I suspect that the benefits to manufacturers outweigh the drawbacks or they wouldn't follow this approach.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Picked up another of these OAA wagons yesterday (915008) to complete my rake of ‘mish-mashed’ repaired wagons.

Now they just need weathering & a suitable load.

IMG_1095.jpeg

Edited by Going2theDogs
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Going2theDogs said:

Hi All,

Picked up another of these OAA wagons yesterday (915008) to complete my rake of ‘mish-mashed’ repaired wagons.

Now they just need weathering & a suitable load.

IMG_1095.jpeg

I’m somehow not convinced by that livery version. It looks too contrived to me.

steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...