BR Dia. 1/191OAA Open Wagon

rapidoandy

Evening,

Well the good news - most of them have arrived and have been prepared for dispatch to both retailers and direct customers.

The bad news is SKU915017 (EWS Maroon) will be arriving behind the main batch. We have opted to send the others out now and will advise customers about the remaining SKU in due course.

Happy modelling!

Andy

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, steve1 said:

Will these wagons be easily converted to EM?

Thanks

steve

Based on previous Rapido wagons, I would have thought yes, I hope they don't start regressing like certain other manufacturers!

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My set of three arrived from Rapido today, and very nice they are too:

OAA1.jpg.556e2bd29a7d1d3a39a5146a331b6e4d.jpg

Look at all of that lovely underframe detail:

OAA2.jpg.5cc8ef92ca681bc35ff1a32703321c40.jpg

My only slight gripe with Rapido wagons (it was the same on their ferry vans) is their choice of only suppling a coupling hook with a coupling attached that don't work well with model railway couplings. Without them fitted you're left with a hole in each buffer beam. You could, I suppose, cut off the coupling from the hook but that seems a shame for such a nice part. On the ferry vans I ended up fitted some aftermarket cast hooks and I'll probably do the same with these.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, BluenGreyAnorak said:

My set of three arrived from Rapido today, and very nice they are too:

OAA1.jpg.556e2bd29a7d1d3a39a5146a331b6e4d.jpg

Look at all of that lovely underframe detail:

OAA2.jpg.5cc8ef92ca681bc35ff1a32703321c40.jpg

My only slight gripe with Rapido wagons (it was the same on their ferry vans) is their choice of only suppling a coupling hook with a coupling attached that don't work well with model railway couplings. Without them fitted you're left with a hole in each buffer beam. You could, I suppose, cut off the coupling from the hook but that seems a shame for such a nice part. On the ferry vans I ended up fitted some aftermarket cast hooks and I'll probably do the same with these.

I hadn’t considered this until seeing your view from below but those tension lock couplings don’t appear to be in a standard type NEM socket. Admittedly it looks much tidier in that area for it but for those of us that like a simple swap to a Kadee #18, 19 or 20 this is a no go and will require the use of a more ‘traditional’ Kadee. 

Edited by mallaig1983

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

I hadn’t considered this until seeing your view from below but those tension lock couplings don’t appear to be in a standard type NEM socket. Admittedly it looks much tidier in that area for it but for those of us that like a simple swap to a Kadee #18, 19 or 20 this is a no go and will require the use of a more ‘traditional’ Kadee. 

Not sure what you mean?

Screenshot2023-12-05at10_01_10.png.84bb823daf1dc442b68fcfed3d4307e9.pngScreenshot2023-12-05at10_01_19.png.ecee11c76af552880be337864dc31f65.pngScreenshot2023-12-05at10_01_36.png.e5858ddec68e705c46f67731d4dfbe63.png

• Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Not sure what you mean?

Screenshot2023-12-05at10_01_10.png.84bb823daf1dc442b68fcfed3d4307e9.pngScreenshot2023-12-05at10_01_19.png.ecee11c76af552880be337864dc31f65.pngScreenshot2023-12-05at10_01_36.png.e5858ddec68e705c46f67731d4dfbe63.png

Looking at those images neither am I!🤭

Thats wonderful stuff. It wasn’t clear to me in the photo posted by @BlueGreyAnnorak, I thought the coupling shaft was one piece. 
Thanks for correcting me @RapidoCorbs

Let’s hope these wagons are a success for you and you go on to produce the OBA, OCA, VDA………… etc

Looking forward to a knock on the door by the courier over the next couple of days.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My couple arrived a few minutes ago, as always, excellent service from Arcadia Models of Shaw.  The couplings are in NEM pockets, took me about 10 seconds to replace a tension lock coupling with a Kadee.  Just pull the tesnsion lock out, push the kadee in, but hold the socket to avoid putting any strain on the flexible part of the mount.

I did manage to bend one of the tension lock hooks and it came unclipped. But no problem as it will end up in the bin anyway.

Nice bit of weight to the wagons. Undeframe detail seems reasonably robust, might survive on my layout.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I gave my three wagons a service this evening, prior to putting them into 'traffic', and noticed something a bit odd about the wheels. They have a very nice representation of brake disks but the treads have a coarse finish - not the polished finish that's typical. I cleaned them with my usual IPA on a cotton bud and whilst they weren't dirty, there was quite a lot of swarf or metal flakes on the treads. It seems to me that a coarse finish will pick up dirt more easily but it'll be interesting to see how they perform.

OAA3.jpg.f167509e8f5a3594032f5583108c70e0.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

My 4 OAA's arrived this morning. First appearances are that we have an excellent model weighing in at a beefy 77g compared with the 54g of a Bachmann OBA, a near 50% more weight which should help minimise derailments. I shall get mine weathered over the next few days and look forward to giving them a good run once the wheels have been cleaned up. 

Nice work Rapido; thank you.

• Like 4

Mine arrived too. Agree with others views on these being nicely made - nice thin sides, lovely under frame and detailing and nicely painted and printed.

My only slight surprise / disappointment was that my wagons with replaced woodwork are printed exactly the same on each side - i.e. the exact same planks have been replaced on each side diagonally opposite each other. I’m guessing that printing different variations on each side would have cost more? It’s a small thing though as I can’t think of any layout configuration where you see both sides of a wagon at the same time…

M