Warley National Exhibition 26th & 27th November 2022

Chris M

I drive a mini so if I was to offer lifts it would only be to fellow N gauge modellers. There’s no space in the boot for the O gauge purchases!

I wanted to go by train but I was being quoted £110 and 3.5hr for what is less than 2.5hr drive. And now the strikes have sealed it - car it is

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ModRXsouth said:

The West Midlands Railway network map shows Birmingham International is served by West Midlands Railway, Avanti West Coast, Cross Country, London Northwestern Railway and Transport for Wales.
According to the BBC News website, the list of companies affected by the Saturday 26 November ASLEF strike does not include LNWR or TFW, so can it be assumed that these two will be running their timetabled services?

FYI LNWR https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/journey-planning/service-disruptions/industrial-action

“The Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (ASLEF) union has announced industrial action on Saturday 26 November 2022. As a result, London Northwestern Railway services will not operate on this day.

More details will be added to this page, and our FAQs and ticketing / refund advice will be updated as soon as possible.”

• Informative/Useful 4

A sad state of affairs......ordinary folk yet again being used as pawns in a political vs union game....

I've decided to give up.....

Stay safe all

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Agree 2

Thanks Pedro32 -

To clarify, the ASLEF strike affects ‘West Midlands Trains’ so that knocks out both West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway. 
Now considering driving, but with the NEC website showing multiple events in various halls across the 26/27 November weekend, will the stated 16,500 parking spaces be sufficient? Can the local motorway sections and roads cope with the volume of traffic trying to enter and leave the site? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, ModRXsouth said:

the NEC website showing multiple events in various halls across the 26/27 November weekend

It coincides with the Motorcycle show, which is much bigger (halls 2-4) than Warley show.

A lot are probably on bikes, so may not take up so much room in the parking (?)

• RMweb Premium

I've been working out several ways to get there as I am relatively local.

I had various combinations of bus/car/train to choose but the bus wins the day with no trains running.

Just need to decide which way!

One of the choices is a bus to Solihull and then a bus to the NEC. both stop in the same road but on opposite sides and there is only 1 minute to spare between them☹️

If it works it the easiest route but if I miss the connection there is a bit of a wait.

One thing is certain, I wont be getting there for the 9:15 pre-bookers opening.

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, ModRXsouth said:

Just checked the ASLEF website (headed with photo of Class 455 approaching London Victoria!) and its press release does not mention LNWR or TFW as strike affected companies. 
Could this change - aren’t LNWR and West Midlands Railway ‘related’ - ?

West Midlands Trains operates West Midlands Railway and London North Western Railway branded services. T

Edited by andyman7
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

It coincides with the Motorcycle show, which is much bigger (halls 2-4) than Warley show.

Disney has 3 shows a day.....eek..

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Have you seen their bikes - my SiL has a "bike" - he needs a car space for it....usually mine....

• Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I've been working out several ways to get there as I am relatively local.

I had various combinations of bus/car/train to choose but the bus wins the day with no trains running.

Just need to decide which way!

One of the choices is a bus to Solihull and then a bus to the NEC. both stop in the same road but on opposite sides and there is only 1 minute to spare between them☹️

If it works it the easiest route but if I miss the connection there is a bit of a wait.

One thing is certain, I wont be getting there for the 9:15 pre-bookers opening.

Best route I've managed to find from Reading gets me to the NEC at 0332! After that it's either arrive at 1117 via Heathrow, or 1222 via Oxford. Coming back, routes would be via Victoria Coach station and Heathrow (leaving at 1738 and getting home at 0032 or 1938 getting back at 0117). Alternatively there's a direct bus just after midnight that gets back to Reading at 0442!

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, dagrizz said:

I was intending to go on the Sunday, catching the first train from Tile Hill. I rather suspect that the early morning Sunday trains will also be cancelled.

Graham 

I'm catching the X1 bus Graham.😉

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

I'm catching the X1 bus Graham.😉

Thanks for this Robin. The X1 seems to have a decent Sunday timetable with regular buses. I live in Rugby so I need to drive to Pool Meadow (Cox St car park is £1 for the day). I have a bus pass so it makes for an even cheaper alternative to the train. 

I think this is a plan! Or will the bus now be full of RMWebbers?🤨

Graham

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, ModRXsouth said:

Now considering driving, but with the NEC website showing multiple events in various halls across the 26/27 November weekend, will the stated 16,500 parking spaces be sufficient? Can the local motorway sections and roads cope with the volume of traffic trying to enter and leave the site? 

They normally put traffic for the different shows into separate car parks. I would therefore think that there would be enough space for the Warley show traffic as there's always been plenty of empty spaces in the past.

There is normally a queue of traffic to get in and if there are no trains then it's likely to be busier. Go on the Sunday and you'll likely find the roads are quieter. 

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

They normally put traffic for the different shows into separate car parks. I would therefore think that there would be enough space for the Warley show traffic as there's always been plenty of empty spaces in the past.

There is normally a queue of traffic to get in and if there are no trains then it's likely to be busier. Go on the Sunday and you'll likely find the roads are quieter. 

I've had past experience of the East car parks with traffic leaving the Warley show and meeting incoming traffic for an Arena event in the evening using the same East parks.

It wasn't good on more than one occasion. So much so that I've rebooked the layout team's evening meal an hour later than originally planned.

Edited by newbryford
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, dagrizz said:

Thanks for this Robin. The X1 seems to have a decent Sunday timetable with regular buses. I live in Rugby so I need to drive to Pool Meadow (Cox St car park is £1 for the day). I have a bus pass so it makes for an even cheaper alternative to the train. 

I think this is a plan! Or will the bus now be full of RMWebbers?🤨

Graham

The X1 (aka 900) always seems to suffer from delays due to traffic on a Saturday evening and I regularly see two quite close together, the second being less full. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 298 said:

The X1 (aka 900) always seems to suffer from delays due to traffic on a Saturday evening and I regularly see two quite close together, the second being less full. 

I'm going on the Sunday so I hope the traffic will be quieter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1