The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, wairoa said:

NS and UP.! That’s what I tell people I model too. Yet I have more UK models then I do models of those 2 railroads combined.

I have also recently become increasingly interested in Australian railways. I like New Zealand railways a lot also but find it difficult to find good models in either HO or OO for New Zealand.

Mine is mostly UP, but I have to admit, since getting the SD80 and SD70Acu in NS, I have been gaining some interest in NS. 
NZ does have some very nice motive power. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wairoa said:

NS and UP.! That’s what I tell people I model too. Yet I have more UK models then I do models of those 2 railroads combined.

I have also recently become increasingly interested in Australian railways. I like New Zealand railways a lot also but find it difficult to find good models in either HO or OO for New Zealand.

Without wanting to wander much further off topic, CN is where it's at! Also have a fondness for the NSW 82 and 90 class, watching them drag looooong coal trains through the Hunter Valley and clank about in the yards in Newcastle are happy memories. There's something about those raked forward cab windows...

Anyway, back on topic, I am very excited for the 89s, my Swallow livery variants are booked and paid for, now we wait...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tugs said:

Without wanting to wander much further off topic, CN is where it's at! Also have a fondness for the NSW 82 and 90 class, watching them drag looooong coal trains through the Hunter Valley and clank about in the yards in Newcastle are happy memories. There's something about those raked forward cab windows...

Anyway, back on topic, I am very excited for the 89s, my Swallow livery variants are booked and paid for, now we wait...

Agreed except for the CN 🙃One of my fav. British built engines is the 46 Class which were shipped to Oz. 

I am surprised they went with a co co arrangement with the 89 while going with a Bo Bo set up on the 90. 

I really like the 90 but I believe the 89 will be a better loco and I want to support Accurascale as much as I can. Really impressed with ACC products so far. 

I am hoping to get the 89 in executive livery to match my old Lima Class 87(my fav. engine.)

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Tugs said:

I think it’s fair to say which of the Canadian operations I prefer 😜

Have to agree on the 89, I have the gold lettered version on order. I’m tempted by current day Swallow too. I have a feeling the 89 & 92’s will be the AC bench mark. 

• Like 1

Apologies if any of this has been asked before, but just trying to clarify before placing an order.......thinking one Sound (Play Value!), one or possibly eventually 2 without....

Will the chip access be easy as per the Class 37/55 - arranged in an easy access point in the roof or something?  Not to be changed frequently, but on the odd occasion.

I take it only the DCC fitted comes with the Hall sensors for flange squeal.   Are there any other differences in the spec between the DCC Ready & DCC Sound Versions? 

If I were to split between Sound/Non Sound other quick query - do your sound fitted locos come with a DCC Blanking Plate?

Many thanks for you help.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what would have become of the 89’s had 50 of them have been built ?

As a LHCS concept, (assuming mk4 DVT didnt initially happen), I would imagine that half the fleet would have been semi-redundant to DVTs anyway, by the early 1990’s, once the 90/DVT concept was seen and the mk4 DVT would still have been inevitable, just later.

Some 89’s may have been freight machines from the early 1990’s, or even RES Parcels/Mail, falling to EWS, and probably around 2019 the rest would have become GBRF/ DB once the 800’s supplanted them…

or maybe 86’s may have had an earlier demise and VT might have picked them up in the 1990’s passing them to Freightliner instead of 86’s ?

Certainly a fleet of 89’s would have been too many AC electrics wedged around 86/87/90 given how under utilised and wasted AC traction has been since c2002.

The 92’s I suspect would still have happened, as their purpose was very different to the 89’s.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

An interesting what-if and a first guess would be that the Class 90 wouldn't have happened and thus one could simply substitute the 89 into the history of the 90.

If BR was able to still get the funding for the 90 in addition to the 89 then I would expect one of 2 possibilities:

1) scrap/sell the 87's - yes, newer than the 86 but a small class.

2) scrap/sell around half the 86's.

There most likely would have been advantages to having a then relatively current loco with current for the time technology and spares vs older (even if simpler) locos.

My guess is the 91/Mk4 would still have happened - the HST demonstrated all the advantages of fixed formation reversible without loco change intercity trains and eliminating the 2nd cab and going for a more complete train look would have been desirable from a marketing perspective.

Then there is always the other alternate history variation - that BR got funding to do a lot more overhead electrification and thus they actually had a need for 50 additional electric locos.  What happens if the western region electrification happens 30 years earlier...

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I'm sorta glad they didn't. As much as I like it, and I have one on order, I do prefer the 90s and 91s. The 90 is probably my favourite class of electric loco (sorry Accurascale!)

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I'm sorta glad they didn't. As much as I like it, and I have one on order, I do prefer the 90s and 91s. The 90 is probably my favourite class of electric loco (sorry Accurascale!)

Really looking fwd to the 89. Right now I have the 92 on order. I would say the 87 overall is my fav. The Hornby 87 is nice but I wonder what ACC could do with an 87 if given half a chance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, wairoa said:

Really looking fwd to the 89. Right now I have the 92 on order. I would say the 87 overall is my fav. The Hornby 87 is nice but I wonder what ACC could do with an 87 if given half a chance.

See being a present day ECML man I don't really have any need for an 87. At least not one Hornby has done recently I don't think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 27/07/2022 at 09:52, Torbay Express said:

Apologies if any of this has been asked before, but just trying to clarify before placing an order.......thinking one Sound (Play Value!), one or possibly eventually 2 without....

Will the chip access be easy as per the Class 37/55 - arranged in an easy access point in the roof or something?  Not to be changed frequently, but on the odd occasion.

I take it only the DCC fitted comes with the Hall sensors for flange squeal.   Are there any other differences in the spec between the DCC Ready & DCC Sound Versions? 

If I were to split between Sound/Non Sound other quick query - do your sound fitted locos come with a DCC Blanking Plate?

Many thanks for you help.

Hi Torbay Express,

It's extremely difficult to make an access point in the roof of the 89 (and 92) due to the shape and fit of the roof, so it will be easy (no chains, yay!) removal of the body for chip additions. 

We are looking into including the sensors in all models, but not fully confirmed yet. Take it for now that only sound fitted models will have them, but DCC ready may get them too. 

Based on the Deltic feedback we will ensure that blanking plates will be available for those who want to de-sound their locos.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

It's extremely difficult to make an access point in the roof of the 89 (and 92) due to the shape and fit of the roof, so it will be easy (no chains, yay!) removal of the body for chip additions. 

That'll make the connections to the power operated pantographs a lot of fun, I would imagine.

Brian

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Brian-1c said:

That'll make the connections to the power operated pantographs a lot of fun, I would imagine.

Brian

Hi Brian,

As per the forthcoming 92 (and indeed the Deltic for lighting) we use sprung electrical connectors which works very well. No wires and easy to remove the body for maintenance. It's a nice, clean and functional solution.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Brian,

As per the forthcoming 92 (and indeed the Deltic for lighting) we use sprung electrical connectors which works very well. No wires and easy to remove the body for maintenance. It's a nice, clean and functional solution.

Cheers!

Fran 

Hi Fran,

That sounds excellent, thank you for the prompt reply. I thought I would have to wait until it was in EP for that info :-)

Brian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Torbay Express,

We are looking into including the sensors in all models, but not fully confirmed yet. Take it for now that only sound fitted models will have them, but DCC ready may get them too. 

Based on the Deltic feedback we will ensure that blanking plates will be available for those who want to de-sound their locos.

Cheers!

Fran 

Thank you very much for the reply.

Could imagine from a logistics point of view simplifies production if all chassis units have the hall sensors incorporated.  Sure if it does get incorporated into DCC readies, nobody will complain.

Sprung electrical contacts- I take it that they are in a different (far superior) league to Margate previous offerings which only work some of the time!

Many thanks.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, TomScrut said:

See being a present day ECML man I don't really have any need for an 87. At least not one Hornby has done recently I don't think.

But Hornby's dual-ned 87001 only ran on the ECML in that condition....

On 28/07/2022 at 10:12, adb968008 said:

Some would have probably been used for channel tunnel work instead of the SNCF BB22400s, and later for Freightliner instead of pairs of 86s.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This is THE OH electric loco I have been waiting for years. And what a whopper, this will be the last OH loco I will buy and the definitive model of this type in my collection.

After some thinking, I've gone for Intercity Executive.

I often wonder what it would have been like with an entire class of these buy the loco was probably outclassed by the 91 (and probably too expensive compared to 90).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/07/2022 at 16:59, mdvle said:

An interesting what-if and a first guess would be that the Class 90 wouldn't have happened and thus one could simply substitute the 89 into the history of the 90.

If BR was able to still get the funding for the 90 in addition to the 89 then I would expect one of 2 possibilities:

1) scrap/sell the 87's - yes, newer than the 86 but a small class.

2) scrap/sell around half the 86's.

There most likely would have been advantages to having a then relatively current loco with current for the time technology and spares vs older (even if simpler) locos.

My guess is the 91/Mk4 would still have happened - the HST demonstrated all the advantages of fixed formation reversible without loco change intercity trains and eliminating the 2nd cab and going for a more complete train look would have been desirable from a marketing perspective.

If 50 class 89s had been built there was NO WAY HM Treasuary would have funded the 91s as well! I also suspect that the number of class 90s would have been reduced too.

Its worth remembering that a big chunk of the 91s business case to HM Treasury for the 91s was higher asset utilisation and more revenue generated by shorter journey times when running at 140mph as opposed to 125mph.

While HM Treasury would acept that replacing 125mph diesel with 110mph electrics wasn't a reasonable proposition - if BR had pushed ahead with the 125mph 89s then it would have been told to sod off had it tried again for the 91s. 

The 89s are no barrier to push / pull - if fixed formation was desired then a batch of DVTs would have been built to go with whatever coach design was utilised. Stuff the 'marketing perspective - in a hostile environment spending money just for PR purposes wasn't going to happen.

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2022 at 19:19, wairoa said:

Provide it with a properly designed and constructed pantograph for starters….and sound 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2