The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

• RMweb Gold

I think rail travel increased through economic success.

Roads were becoming too busy, as second car ownership increased.

Rail was an alternative.

cities were becoming more productive with economic investment post Maastricht as global companies took advantage of English langugage and law to host their dealings with Europe in the UK, which provided employment, prospects and supported service industries.

Privatisation hasnt made a difference, imo its made it worse. Post covid customers have shown no loyalty to railways regardless who owns them, and Brexit has seen an unknown volume exodus of people, as has business relocated to the continent… the overall demand has decreased. Paris, Dublin and Amsterdam are struggling under their new found weight of record success last year.

Bringing railways back in public control isnt going to change the demand, but its the costs that now need focus and some painful decisions are going to be needed at some point to resize the system to what it can afford. The economy, pound and interest rates are already doing this, housing, employment and salaries will follow in declines.

Its is also fallacy imo to think domestic tourism will compensate for loss of commuter & business travel. The system doesnt have that product appeal, and for a few days a week it will never make economic sense. The country and the railways might be going back to the 1955 plan, but the passenger is still going to the Sunny climates for their holidays, and will trade a half dozen weekend in the UK trips for 2 weeks on a hot sunny beach.

How does this fit the badger…

it got a second lease of life with GNER, due to that demand, that didnt justify expenditure on new stock, as did hiring in various locos at the turn of the century and some of which persisted until Covid.

It will be popular in its 3rd lease of life, day trip category, but this is enthusiasts, isnt really going to be a hugely financial success, running a few trips a year and is a long way from the dft’s “leisure” railway.

If you look at leisure trips in other countries, some things are very apparent.. table seats, big windows & fresh air… The only train that has fresh air now is the Penzance sleeper, and most of our trains have airline seats that barely align to a window.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 10/12/2022 at 08:47, No Decorum said:

Like all the best questions, that’s tricky to answer. I have no rose-tinted glasses about BR. There were good things done and some absolute howlers. The HST was a superb product and it was well publicised. Using Saville was a mistake but only with hindsight. We know that passenger numbers rose after privatisation.

My recollection from looking years ago was that the passenger numbers started on the way up just prior to privatisation and thus likely it was more driven by external issues.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Hi Fran, do you know when the likely cut off date will be for Class 89 orders direct with yourselves?  Few other bits to sort first but would sooner purchase from yourselves and get a few points! 

There won't be a cut off unless we sell out completely. Hope that helps!

IMG_4354.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, GWR 802006 said:

@Accurascale Fran @McC I just went on your website for the Projects Status page and is the 89 model now coming in Q1 2024?

Hi there!

Fat fingers on our part, still Q3 2023. Apologies for confusion, we will get the website updated.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 10/02/2023 at 19:28, Accurascale Fran said:

Fat fingers ...

... to go round your fat wallets perhaps. Although just a TIC comment, I hope it's true as the fatter your wallets the more likely you'll continue to produce the goods for us to buy

• Funny 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of interest, and most probably a very stupid question, when you look at history....... 

What is the likelihood of your GNER Blue, matching that of another companies the recent Mk4's?  Must admit, it does appear to vary considerably based on weather conditions, blue sky or cloud! 

Taking it that in the GNER period it never worked with MK3's thinking Darker Lima colour. 

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

Just out of interest, and most probably a very stupid question, when you look at history....... 

What is the likelihood of your GNER Blue, matching that of another companies the recent Mk4's?  Must admit, it does appear to vary considerably based on weather conditions, blue sky or cloud! 

Taking it that in the GNER period it never worked with MK3's thinking Darker Lima colour. 

interesting point, but Hornby managed to get their new GNER mk4’s pretty much mapping to their 20 year old mk4’s.

CA8B0E10-7E40-4234-BDFA-867D519AB3E8.jpeg.a4e3fa25e69c2732ec3e3ee1d2fe3653.jpeg

just a pity they replicated the bubble window frames from that 1990’s tooling, when it should be flat.

72AC85EA-F4E8-4712-A275-670FBA92CFFE.jpeg.f6126caacf056eb731c4f534add24ea6.jpeg

Edited by adb968008

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

interesting point, but Hornby managed to get their new GNER mk4’s pretty much mapping to their 20 year old mk4’s.

CA8B0E10-7E40-4234-BDFA-867D519AB3E8.jpeg.a4e3fa25e69c2732ec3e3ee1d2fe3653.jpeg

just a pity they replicated the bubble window frames from that 1990’s tooling, when it should be flat.

72AC85EA-F4E8-4712-A275-670FBA92CFFE.jpeg.f6126caacf056eb731c4f534add24ea6.jpeg

Yes, and if you look at some websites they look a really deep blue, and other times like a really dark ocean blue! 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

What’s the current eta for the 89? Just working out the monthly budget and only buying one. Not one in each livery,nor 50 so I can have an imaginary fleet😂

Hopefully Fran or McC can give us a better update. But the page https://www.accurascale.com/pages/project-status lists them as Q3 2023. However it also says they haven’t entered production. So I’m thinking that date will have slipped a bit, but hopefully still be this year. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Hopefully Fran or McC can give us a better update. But the page https://www.accurascale.com/pages/project-status lists them as Q3 2023. However it also says they haven’t entered production. So I’m thinking that date will have slipped a bit, but hopefully still be this year. 

Right now broadly on schedule with decorated samples under review, we'll update in details once we have a more concrete plan, but for now the schedule is unchanged.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...

Just made my Final Payment on this magnificent looking Model. Looking forward Immensely to receiving this . 

Thanks to all involved for taking the Risk in Making what I consider one of the best looking Loco's to ever grace the Rails.

Cheers Trailrage

PS unsure if its been asked before but is there any plans to release the Pantographs as an Accessory?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi @TRAILRAGE,

No plans to release them as a separate item at this moment but that may change in the future.

In other news decorated samples are on the way to us for assessment. Look out for their reveal in a couple of weeks and a production update from there. Having seen a sneak peak they may well break the internet, but then again I’m a tad biased I guess!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 15
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, StuAllen said:

I’ll leave this here, taken at Barrowhill Roundhouse last summer. Shame the badger is hiding behind a shed. Looking forward to seeing the decorated samples.

IMG_0400.jpeg

First sign of a human and the first thing a badger does is go and scurry behind the shed for safety 😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Ed-farms said:

First sign of a human and the first thing a badger does is go and scurry behind the shed for safety 😉

Quite, and off shot is another shed about to run it over...

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi @GWR 802006,

To be honest we haven't stopped drooling over them since they arrived. They're having their snaps taken next week, so look out for those really soon after. We're biased, but we gasped in amazement when we saw them painted up. I'll say no more...

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @GWR 802006,

To be honest we haven't stopped drooling over them since they arrived. They're having their snaps taken next week, so look out for those really soon after. We're biased, but we gasped in amazement when we saw them painted up. I'll say no more...

Cheers!

Fran 

Careful there Fran, or you will begin to sound like KR Models  lol 😁

Seriously though, I am looking forward to seeing those snaps.

• Funny 2