The Class 89, By Accurascale With Rails of Sheffield

17 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

Electric flashes are different styles, is probably the most obvious difference.

cheers,

Phil.

What are they on the pantograph? Are those the electric sparks or the equipment around them? I'm not really familiar of it

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, BrakeCoach said:

What are they on the pantograph? Are those the electric sparks or the equipment around them? I'm not really familiar of it

Phil is referring to the warning stickers - currently they are a yellow triangle with black text etc. Originally they were a red flash symbol and red text:

Original - 

image.png.c3f50cd888ccfa4bb710defdaa8bfc2a.png

Current - 

image.png.295e205d104665c44ab115d7742ca30b.png

Edited by Bucoops
add pics nicked from Accurascale site.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97406 said:

I had a good butchers at the samples at the GETS and I’m looking forward to the gap below being plugged with the original IC liveried one so expect an updated image in due course!

DSCF0668.JPG.656f51c4a643cee68c9ef75a4aa16a9e.JPG

In that case, you are going to have to lay another road to get an 88 in as well 😉

Roy

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Roy Langridge said:

In that case, you are going to have to lay another road to get an 88 in as well 😉

Roy

That’s way beyond the end of my time period, alas/fortunately and I have a number of 25s, 56s and 40s to finance, alongside a couple more 37s, 31s and of course the 89!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 97406 said:

That’s way beyond the end of my time period, alas/fortunately and I have a number of 25s, 56s and 40s to finance, alongside a couple more 37s, 31s and of course the 89!

Pretty much where I am, except the 89 which I decided was a luxury I could not justfy.

More SLW 25s on order than I should have, a couple of SLW 24s, a Cavalex 56, several Accurascale 31s. Thankfully no 40s as I wait for somebody to announce a new one, somebody that I trust to deliver.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Pretty much where I am, except the 89 which I decided was a luxury I could not justfy.

More SLW 25s on order than I should have, a couple of SLW 24s, a Cavalex 56, several Accurascale 31s. Thankfully no 40s as I wait for somebody to announce a new one, somebody that I trust to deliver.

Roy

It’s a great time for new models though isn’t it and I’m enjoying modelling the 40s until a rateable new one comes out.
I remember the 89 being built in Crewe Works, at an the earlier stage to 50025’s post above and it was just the framework without the bodyside panels when I saw it. I remember seeing it on the cover of Rail Enthusiast magazine when it was finished and thinking how ugly it looked. I warmed to it considerably afterwards, though.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, LaGrange said:

WhatsAppImage2023-10-15at22_01.21_79c75e42.jpg.70637ea1e3d83079ec711f87b9ea8d84.jpg

Best to order today - and not tomorrow. Less of these being made than 37's / 55's so dont miss out....

With the APT acquired and all, I'm starting to comtemplate whether I should get the IC Executive liveried one as well, since it would match with the APT better... Though IC Swallow (one I ordered) is still a very good livery too, and there aren't any Executive liveried buffered HSTs on the market, which I suspect due to its short period of existence.

I wonder how far the restoration on the 89 has progressed so far. Were there any news regarding it in the later half of 2023?

Edited by BrakeCoach

3 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

With the APT acquired and all, I'm starting to comtemplate whether I should get the IC Executive liveried one as well, since it would match with the APT better...

Indeed the 89 in Executive livery did meet the APT very briefly in 1987 - there's a photo of the 89 in David Clough's book "APT: The Untold Story" with the remaining withdrawn set lurking in the background at Crewe ETD.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

39 minutes ago, 25kV said:

Indeed the 89 in Executive livery did meet the APT very briefly in 1987 - there's a photo of the 89 in David Clough's book "APT: The Untold Story" with the remaining withdrawn set lurking in the background at Crewe ETD.

A world where these two designs ended up successful would be a sight to behold indeed.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

I'm loving the latest sample pictures, a question mainly aimed at the Accurascale Gods on here, in the last project update it was mentioned that the sound was set to be recorded soon, please can anyone advise if this has been completed yet? Also if so is there any chance of a sneak peak as was done with the Class 31? Kind regards & many thanks. 

7 hours ago, vanbasher said:

I'm loving the latest sample pictures, a question mainly aimed at the Accurascale Gods on here, in the last project update it was mentioned that the sound was set to be recorded soon, please can anyone advise if this has been completed yet? Also if so is there any chance of a sneak peak as was done with the Class 31? Kind regards & many thanks. 

I assume the 89 has to go mainline testing, which is when Accurascale would probably start recording the sounds. But I haven't heard anything about the 89's restoration since early 2023...

• Like 1

I had heard the loco was pretty much ready to roll, I also figured as the loco is currently at Loughborough Brush, I do believe there still exists a small test line with OHLE above. Not sure if it's still usable but I thought some static testing of motors & so forth may well have been done on site.

Edited by vanbasher
Typo

2 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

I assume the 89 has to go mainline testing, which is when Accurascale would probably start recording the sounds. But I haven't heard anything about the 89's restoration since early 2023...

I thought it was recorded at Soho when the loco was previously on test there.

I may of course be wrong

2 hours ago, vanbasher said:

I had heard the loco was pretty much ready to roll, I also figured as the loco is currently at Loughborough Brush, I do believe there still exists a small test line with OHLE above. Not sure if it's still usable but I thought some static testing of motors & so forth may well have been done on site.

Would they test it up to full power during static testing?

12 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

Would they test it up to full power during static testing?

I presume all the fans/motor blowers could be fully opened but obviously the motors couldn't be until the loco was actually moving. I suppose it all depends how in-depth the sound file is going to be as to whether motor spool up sounds will be included. Certainly for almost every other sound though, static testing would suffice.