RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Have you changed the volume on yours as it sounds a lot better than mine.

The sounds tinny and rattly and sounds like the sounds breaking up, especially on startup and when moving off. Im wondering if i have a faulty speaker / faulty amp on the decoder

Mine sounds exactly like the video example,quite excellent in fact and I’m actually getting that quality running on dc only.My 37430 is the same.

Seems  as if you should contact Barwell service dept.for a way forward .

On 27/07/2022 at 14:45, wairoa said:

Thanks everyone for providing information on the windscreens of the Classes 37 and 47. 

6 months ago I would never have thought I could find locomotive windows so interesting. Yet, now, whenever I see an engine in RL or photos or model form one of the first things I do is look at the windows. 

Good job Bachmann for trying to add this feature where relevant.

Although not completely relevant to this thread, the obvious class in need of tinted windows are the Class 52 Westerns! 

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Mine sounds exactly like the video example,quite excellent in fact and I’m actually getting that quality running on dc only.My 37430 is the same.

Seems  as if you should contact Barwell service dept.for a way forward .

Thanks ive contacted the retailler to ask if i can return it for an exchange

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Wagonmaster said:

Although not completely relevant to this thread, the obvious class in need of tinted windows are the Class 52 Westerns! 

Makes me wonder why model manufacturers have overlooked the tinting so often on locomotives. I was looking at some of my engines yesterday in UK, U.S, EU and Australian outlines and it seems in a lot of cases the models don't have tinted windows while the prototypes do. I was thinking maybe a cost thing? 

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

This isn't my video (I don't have a Bachmann 37) but this is the first full video I've seen

The nose end join does seem a bit pronounced. Maybe it shows up more when the cab colour is yellow?

Sadly I can't get this to play either on RMweb or Youtube...

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, aeroplane said:

The nose end join does seem a bit pronounced. Maybe it shows up more when the cab colour is yellow?

For the price, this simply shouldn't be there.  Sure, they've improved the bogie detail and the cab windows, but why continue with a compromise like this?

Steve

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, thetrains said:

and brake chains where connect to chassis seem to be metal, AS take not.

AS's brake chains are metal.  They've already stated it will be attched to the chassis rather than the body.  Your point is???

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, aeroplane said:

I dunno, I don't think it looks too bad. My current Bachmann ones don't offend me in this respect either though.

22 minutes ago, 55020 said:

why continue with a compromise like this?

It is interesting that Bachmann have separate ends and AS have separate windscreen surrounds. It could be to do with the way the mould works and therefore a choice of one or another. If that is the case, then we are left waiting for the AS ones to turn up to decide which is the bigger compromise. Gut feeling is it will depend on the loco in question (i.e. what colour it is at the joint).

• RMweb Gold

This isn't my video (I don't have a Bachmann 37) but this is the first full video I've seen

Came across that myself earlier, it’s a good watch 

Thanks for posting, and thank's to John at Picadilly Sidings for the review video.

Did you notice at 16.38 that the engine sound changes as the field diverters cut in?  Haven't heard that effect before from any r-t-r sound fitted model, cool.

i notice that the lights dim when the engine is cranking, seems to be becoming a standard feature on Bachmann decoder equipped models.

Best regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I haven't a clue what OEM has provided the decoder in the latest Bachmann 37, but assume from pauliebangers posting that is must be a Zimo chip.

It's like dealing with politicians - the public statements are so one dimensional.

If I'm wrong I will immmediately post an apology.

Edited by 55020

33 minutes ago, 55020 said:

I haven't a clue what OEM has provided the decoder in the latest Bachmann 37, but assume from pauliebangers posting that is must be a Zimo chip.

It's like dealing with politicians - the public statements are so one dimensional.

If I'm wrong I will immmediately post an apology.

Not sure what you mean, Bachmann make it very clear in the launch video it is a Zimo chip.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Not sure what you mean, Bachmann make it very clear in the launch video it is a Zimo chip.

I didn't know, haven't watched the video.  It was an assumption based on the comment made by pauliebanger.  Great to know I was right though!!!

20 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Have you changed the volume on yours as it sounds a lot better than mine.

The sounds tinny and rattly and sounds like the sounds breaking up, especially on startup and when moving off. Im wondering if i have a faulty speaker / faulty amp on the decoder

No I haven't changed anything, straight out of the box. Sounds really good, especially the failed start.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, 08221 said:

The tint on the drivers window is clearly visible here on 37401, passing Uttoxeter station earlier today (29/7/22).

09093682-D607-4859-AE5F-E06496217D44.jpeg.5ce65850568c751d5a695110e90d6f17.jpeg

That’s a great photo.  TBH the center window looks darker to me than the other two.  I wonder if the Bachmann tinting is accurate for the 37. It looks closer on the 47 I think.

I remember as a 13 y. o visiting the UK for the first time in 1985 and being absolutely amazed by the trains on British Railways. Over that time I saw a 47, 37, 125 and a Class 08. Rode in a couple of EMU/DMUs but don’t remember which ones.

Growing up in New Zealand our railways simply could not compare with those in the UK was my thinking at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I got the middle spec version and there's a little iridescence on the glazing anyway.

The sound is top notch and it makes the loco great fun to drive. Looking forward to running in a consist with the Accurascale 37714 in a few months time.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, 08221 said:

The tint on the drivers window is clearly visible here on 37401, passing Uttoxeter station earlier today (29/7/22).

09093682-D607-4859-AE5F-E06496217D44.jpeg.5ce65850568c751d5a695110e90d6f17.jpeg

Just bear in mind the windscreens fitted in the above photo are the modern reinforced ones (see the thicker frame) which are different screens to the ones that would have been fitted in the 1980s.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Just bear in mind the windscreens fitted in the above photo are the modern reinforced ones (see the thicker frame) which are different screens to the ones that would have been fitted in the 1980s.

That’s good to know. I was wondering if the windscreens could have changed over the life of the 37s  and also the 47s.

Do you know were these changes govt. mandated or just upgrades by the railways due to wear and tear?

Edited by wairoa

• RMweb Gold

The bufferbeam detail is quite straightforward to apply, only the ETH cables being a bit tricky. I broke one, so I may just replace it with a piece of wire, but it’s barely noticeable. I managed to dislodge one of the chains, but after a little swearing, I refitted it. 

DSCF0545.JPG.ee6ed3707d397feaa8be4c38d9471766.JPG

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1