RMweb

Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

Hi,

New to the thread as I'm not really a Class 37 buff but I recently acquired two due to not being able to resist a deal. I paid £267 for 35-301SFX which I thought was a very good deal and I've been delighted with the purchase. I assumed that was me done for Class 37s but then when 35-303SFX appeared for £218 I bought one of those as well. I'm very pleased, great detail, great speed control, smooth running especially at slow speeds and great sound too, Bachmann's are definitely improving in this area. I'm not sure what the point of the tinted windows are but I love the fans, my 47711 doesn't have them as I wasn't willing to fork out the extra at the time.

Not being that familiar with the Class, I have a couple of questions. The two examples I have seem to be of a different colour. Well not really a different colour of blue but the 37/0 seems to be more of a matt finish and the 37/3 more of a gloss - is that deliberate, were the two sub classes of a different finish? The cab lighting is significantly different with the 37/0 very yellow and quite dim in comparison to the 37/3 which is still yellow but quite a but brighter - I assume this is an accurate reflection of the real thing(s)?

Finally, fans operate differently with the 37/0 fans operating permanently after start up which is as described in the Bachmann instructions. The 37/3 only begins to operate some time after start up, it does seem to coincide with the first movement but then they seem to stay on permanently. Oddly both models were supplied with 37/0 instructions which of course describe the same operation for both models so I'm a little confused as to whether the 37/3 fan is operating correctly. I don't know why but I assumed the fans would mimic the thermostat controlled operation, maybe I'm thinking of the 47s, dunno?

Thanks in advance      

• RMweb Gold

IMG_8582.jpeg.2164eb2d9ecf435f8934dd060bf24c53.jpeg

my next Bachmann 37 respray will be finished as 37674 in Transrail.  Transfers have been ordered from @railtec-models for collection at Warley (where I also plan on buying the middle grey paint from Phoenix), with a bit of luck I will get the lower grey sprayed at the weekend.

noses had to be modified to remove the eth socket plate, centre lamp iron and add nose clips, and the right hand nose grill on each side has been replaced with a single piece version (seeing as Bachmann still haven’t announced this tooling variant). 

Will look good alongside 521 which was modified with new grills at both ends before painting.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, APT Fan said:

Hi,

New to the thread as I'm not really a Class 37 buff but I recently acquired two due to not being able to resist a deal. I paid £267 for 35-301SFX which I thought was a very good deal and I've been delighted with the purchase. I assumed that was me done for Class 37s but then when 35-303SFX appeared for £218 I bought one of those as well. I'm very pleased, great detail, great speed control, smooth running especially at slow speeds and great sound too, Bachmann's are definitely improving in this area. I'm not sure what the point of the tinted windows are but I love the fans, my 47711 doesn't have them as I wasn't willing to fork out the extra at the time.

Not being that familiar with the Class, I have a couple of questions. The two examples I have seem to be of a different colour. Well not really a different colour of blue but the 37/0 seems to be more of a matt finish and the 37/3 more of a gloss - is that deliberate, were the two sub classes of a different finish? The cab lighting is significantly different with the 37/0 very yellow and quite dim in comparison to the 37/3 which is still yellow but quite a but brighter - I assume this is an accurate reflection of the real thing(s)?

Finally, fans operate differently with the 37/0 fans operating permanently after start up which is as described in the Bachmann instructions. The 37/3 only begins to operate some time after start up, it does seem to coincide with the first movement but then they seem to stay on permanently. Oddly both models were supplied with 37/0 instructions which of course describe the same operation for both models so I'm a little confused as to whether the 37/3 fan is operating correctly. I don't know why but I assumed the fans would mimic the thermostat controlled operation, maybe I'm thinking of the 47s, dunno?

Thanks in advance      

As far as i know there isn’t much difference between a 37/0 and 37/3.  The 37/0 is as delivered whilst 37/4 upwards were refurbished and alternator fitted so a bit different. If I recall correctly some of the refurbs had regeared bogies as well. The 37/3 as a subclass was basically 37/0s that ended up with regeared bogies but none of the other features of a refurbished 37 - with no external differences that I’m aware of. 
 I believe the 37/3s came about during late 80s around same time as the refurb program was going. Your model of 37305 has bufferbeam cowling

still intact which makes me believe it is earlier than that as most 37s had the cowling removed by mid 80s.  There was 309 class 37s built so theoretically some would have been in 373xx as 37/0s before subclasses started to appear - I think what you have is a later series 37/0 rather than a 37/3.  The other factors may relate to that - did later builds have brighter lighting etc?

Cheers,

Found this article about the sub classes, 305 served in South Wales apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_37

Found this thread regarding the fans - 'Fan operation differs between model subclasses, most do not operate immediately when the engine starts up. (Like the real thing).'

What's the situation with double heading these? Is it just a question of setting up the consist addresses and press play or is the more to it than that?

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

Found this article about the sub classes, 305 served in South Wales apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_37

Ahh, the font of all knowledge that is Wikipedia.  It it great until it isn't!  In this case it isn't too helpful, as the 37/0s were numbered 37001 to 37308.  Your model of 37305 is a 37/0.  The rebogied 37/3s started at 37310.

You are correct in stating that the 37300-308 locos were very much South Wales machines in the 70s.

Steve

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 55020 said:

Ahh, the font of all knowledge that is Wikipedia.  It it great until it isn't!  In this case it isn't too helpful, as the 37/0s were numbered 37001 to 37308.  Your model of 37305 is a 37/0.  The rebogied 37/3s started at 37310.

You are correct in stating that the 37300-308 locos were very much South Wales machines in the 70s.

Steve

Absolutely! Often seen on the triple headed iron ore trains to Llanwern …. Before that on Waterston to Albion tanks …. And they started off as lickey bankers when first delivered. 

Hi,

I've now got 2 Deluxe Class 37s (37401 & 37175) and they both exhibit an annoying trait.

If I'm running them with sound on and bring them to a stand, they tend to not want to start off again, they don't respond to the throttle. Sometimes they will notch up, but they don't move and won't move until I lift them off the track and put them back on again. It seems as though the handbrake is being applied when they come to a stand, but I'm not the one applying it, I've also tried pressing the brake button to make sure the the brakes are off, but this doesn't seem to work.

Is there some clever logic I don't know about or does anyone else have this problem?

Simon

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I've now got 2 Deluxe Class 37s (37401 & 37175) and they both exhibit an annoying trait.

If I'm running them with sound on and bring them to a stand, they tend to not want to start off again, they don't respond to the throttle. Sometimes they will notch up, but they don't move and won't move until I lift them off the track and put them back on again. It seems as though the handbrake is being applied when they come to a stand, but I'm not the one applying it, I've also tried pressing the brake button to make sure the the brakes are off, but this doesn't seem to work.

Is there some clever logic I don't know about or does anyone else have this problem?

Simon

Remove the wheel scotch ?

😄

15 hours ago, 55020 said:

Steve

And then most of them became frothy 37/4s in Scotland, 37305 becoming 37407. 

1 hour ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Simon

I've had this exact problem with 37430...the solution I found was to leave it running with sound on for a couple of minutes, before moving off. This seemed to cure it. I too was scratching my head about a logic function, because it moved initially fine, but then when you stop or change direction it was stuck! 

Being a Loksound man I'm avoiding the sound fitted examples as they are Zimo, and doing my own Loksound install instead.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

I've had this exact problem with 37430...the solution I found was to leave it running with sound on for a couple of minutes, before moving off. This seemed to cure it. I too was scratching my head about a logic function, because it moved initially fine, but then when you stop or change direction it was stuck! 

Being a Loksound man I'm avoiding the sound fitted examples as they are Zimo, and doing my own Loksound install instead.

An interesting explanation/solution. I have had this problem on my 37430 (now 37404) too. I assumed it was something to do with moving off before pressing F1 (to avoid the startup sequence, which I sometimes have a tendency to do).

There's a sticker on the plastic insert in the box which reads:

"To use sound on DCC, you must press F1 before moving. Pressing F1 after initial movement may require the sound to be re-started by turning F1 Off and re-started using a warm start (F1 On), or by removing the model from the track momentarily".

...so I assumed it was something to do with this in some way.

Whatever the cause, it's an annoying issue and, being a Loksound man too, I will be avoiding any Bachmann/Zimo sound-fitted versions in future. Because it's a Zimo chip, I can't do much with the functions with my Lokprogrammer either, which is very limiting. 

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Waverley West said:

An interesting explanation/solution. I have had this problem on my 37430 (now 37404) too. I assumed it was something to do with moving off before pressing F1 (to avoid the startup sequence, which I sometimes have a tendency to do).

There's a sticker on the plastic insert in the box which reads:

"To use sound on DCC, you must press F1 before moving. Pressing F1 after initial movement may require the sound to be re-started by turning F1 Off and re-started using a warm start (F1 On), or by removing the model from the track momentarily".

...so I assumed it was something to do with this in some way.

Whatever the cause, it's an annoying issue and, being a Loksound man too, I will be avoiding any Bachmann/Zimo sound-fitted versions in future. Because it's a Zimo chip, I can't do much with the functions with my Lokprogrammer either, which is very limiting. 

Hi,

I remember the sticker on the box, but didn't really read it was I thought it was about start up rather than just movement and DCC sound, and that warning does tally with the scenerio I'm experiencing, so I'll try that next time.

The issue with that solution is that on an end to end exhibition layout, it takes too long for the locos to start up so I keep the sound off until after it gets going!

I do think all DCC Sound Decoders are just getting too complex.

Simon

• Like 1

11 hours ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Simon

Sometime my class 20s do this. Try dabbing F2, works for me.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

It appears to be a newsletter special - so i'm not sure if you need to be signed up for that to get the link from email . most have gone in 12 hrs, a few left.

I see! (Doesn't help that I looked on Rails not Derails...) 

On 16/11/2023 at 16:06, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I remember the sticker on the box, but didn't really read it was I thought it was about start up rather than just movement and DCC sound, and that warning does tally with the scenerio I'm experiencing, so I'll try that next time.

The issue with that solution is that on an end to end exhibition layout, it takes too long for the locos to start up so I keep the sound off until after it gets going!

I do think all DCC Sound Decoders are just getting too complex.

Simon

Hi Simon,

You can avoid the issue you have by using F1 to start the sound before 1st movement and wait for the sound to settle into regular idling, as Southern Mafia  suggested above. Note, if you follow my suggestions below this will only need to be done once per session.

To have the sound off when not in use engage F 8, mute.

When you wish to drive away, disengage F 8 the idling sound will fade in and the model can be driven immediately.

If you prefer, drive off with mute still engaged, and disengage F 8 when it suits (great for tunnels or fiddle yards). In this case the appropriate engine power sound will play, according to status.

Or, engage F 8 before F 1. The start sequence will run, but won't be audible so this is like starting the loco in 'stealth mode'. After a few seconds, operate throttle and F 8 as above.

Mute can be used to advantage in other ways and by avoiding the use of F 1 for temporary sound  breaks you will avoid inadvertently triggering an inappropriate freeze on motor movement.

When entering tunnels, fiddle yard or just to stop the sound for any reason, engage F 8 to mute and it will be good to go as above.

When the session is over for that loco, disengage F 1 to hear the shutdown sequence, or just turn power off.

The increased complexity in sound projects is driven by requests from modellers for more features and greater realism, and manufacturers wishing to provide more 'added value' to compensate for the high cost of sound equipped models.

This project can be simplified by CV837 = 1. In this case, only the F 2 brake key will inhibit movement. 

To get all complex features back again, CV837 = 0.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Paul, while you're on, is there any way of making the horns on the Zimo decoders playable please, as per the ESU decoders fitted to the new class 47's. The horns, in my opinion on the 37's are very poor. When stationary the toot isn't realistic and at higher speed the horn sound is far too long. Can anything be done? Thanks Tony.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2023 at 15:55, Albie the plumber said:

TMC advertising the latest centre headcode Growler in green at £159.00 .

Same as an A/S version which isn't out yet .

They've also got the Dutch one at £162, Reggie, RfD and 37371 at £170, not bad prices. I expect there might be some cheaper than that deals at Warley though...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SouthernMafia said:

They've also got the Dutch one at £162, Reggie, RfD and 37371 at £170, not bad prices. I expect there might be some cheaper than that deals at Warley though...

Presumably to recover as much of its investment as it can before Accurascale 37s are available in all variants, Bachmann has in my view flooded the market and is finding itself and retailers with more models to sell than the market will bear in effectively one go. Rather than leave them on the shelves to sell over time, the preference seems to be to shift as many as possible now. Presumably still at a profit but a much smaller one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Presumably to recover as much of its investment as it can before Accurascale 37s are available in all variants, Bachmann has in my view flooded the market and is finding itself and retailers with more models to sell than the market will bear in effectively one go. Rather than leave them on the shelves to sell over time, the preference seems to be to shift as many as possible now. Presumably still at a profit but a much smaller one.

Personally I find the Bachmann version of BR green better than Accurascales and I also have a preference for Zimo so that being the case I have now added the SFX version of D6829 to the fleet - currently £284 from TMC complete with coated windscreen and spinning fan (which is strangely hypnotic in action!) :) Whilst the bass response of the AS sound fitted is obviously better than Bachmanns I find the latter perfectly acceptable for my attic room - in fact I have had to turn the AS D6700 down as it drowns everything else out!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted this in the DCC forum, but thought it might be useful here too. 

I purchased a Bachmann 35-303, 37 305 in BR blue.  Tested it with the Bachmann Plux22 decoder 36-570 and it had a problem with the marker and tail lights on both ends being lit all at once, with no ability to operate them independently.  There is a note in the Class 37 manual that when using 36-570 instead of 36-570A, three CVs need altering, but one has been misprinted; CV123 should be 124.  All other CVs and their values are as written and reprogramming them allows the lights to work correctly with the 36-570 decoder.

This was my first of the revamped Bachmann 37s and I'm very happy with it, especially as the detachable nose front area fits perfectly, which I found to be a weak point on previous versions.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3