Bachmann announce all new Class 37

AY Mod

8 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Why? Why are they going up against the Accurascale version? 

Because 37s are hugely popular so the market will stand it. 

Similar reason as the why every plastic kit manufacturer does a Spitfire and a Bf.109, usually in multiple scales. 

• Agree 6

Having purchased 37422 from DEMU today I have to say I’m really impressed. Having spent hours upgrading the old model with Shawplan/3D printed parts I’m very much considering the future of these locos now - the new tooling has nailed the characteristic look of the cab front windows far better than any 37 previously. The subtlety of the cab windows and the associated join line is seriously impressive.

Well done to Bachmann for nailing this - superb model!

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Can you give some examples? It may sway my mind in terms of making the loooong drive!

Have to confess I did not write down the various traders prices this morning as I wasn’t interested in buying either of these 37s but if I remember correctly I saw the cheapest spec version of 430 in the low £200s with at least one trader. Might have been the typical 15% off list.

I got a brand new 20314 factory sound fitted from Kernow for £224.99.

• Like 1

One thing I did notice within the video though - and I certainly will applaud Bachmann for, the comment regarding the "Lighting colours and temperatures are no less important than the liveries applied to our models". 

Hornby - Take Note with your light bleeding bright white LEDS!!!

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1

If you already have a 37 product, that’s being overtaken, you must keep it in the range by upgrading or surrender one of the most popular types from the last 50 years .

It does look a very nice model though,

I could do with a couple more, but even if Bachmann does the actual ones, at £50 difference I’ll have to wait for AS and renumber as necessary I think 

• Like 1

The lighting features always interest me and the tones do look great. Good to see them add engine room lighting too.

I hope we see them refresh their class 85 electric to a similar std.

Removal roof hatches seems to be the way to go though and lookkng at the new Bach 37 you still need to remove the bodyshell to do the necessary.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ThaneofFife said:

Removal roof hatches seems to be the way to go though and lookkng at the new Bach 37 you still need to remove the bodyshell to do the necessary.

I think that depends on how easy it is to get the shell off. I can get the body of a Dapol 68 off far faster than I can get the roof hatch off a Bachmann 90 for example.

• RMweb Gold

That stands up very well alongside the Accurascale 37. There is definitely a market for them, and both manufacturers will do very well with them! Looking forward to all the 37s landing. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, 97406 said:

That stands up very well alongside the Accurascale 37. There is definitely a market for them, and both manufacturers will do very well with them! 

Having now watched the video , I'm not in the market at all for them, what struck me is how far the nasty Margate company is now behind regarding D&E models. Light years.

Edited by gwrrob
added detail.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Does look like an interesting model, and if the market is big enough to sustain 2 competing products then go for it! Whilst some may argue that it’s probably better for manufacturers to only do models to a certain standard “unique” to them it sometimes helps to have a duplicate to allow the entirety of the market to be catered to. Though I wonder how this will affect the other Accurascale 37s yet to be announced, either way seems like a decent model even if it is a tad expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

This is a sweeping statement.It is cheaper,I grant you. Better ?  They are two different prototypes .So how can you compare ? Why …for now….do we find it necessary to indulge in premature comparisons?  Surely we should be content that models of such quality are available.

At this moment,I am running in my new 37430. On my tabletop alongside rest a number of Accurascale Deltics. I’m spoiled..like the cat who licked the cream. And I’m equally happy with both models. They ooze quality .

To be honest my post was meant to be more humorous than comparative. I'll be seeing the 37s soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

If you're on about Bachmann, they do some excellent D&E models so not sure what on earth you're on about.

My post has now been edited for clarification.😉

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

5 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

My post has now been edited for clarification.😉

Ah, got you. They do seem to be improving though, some of the stuff announced this year sounds like they are maybe starting to listen.

I do however hope they don't do a new 37 too 🤣

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

what struck me is how far the nasty Margate company

This isn't the topic for it but a company is purely a legal entity so it can't be nasty. Neither is it likely to apply to everyone working for the company but the actions or decisions of individuals can create or fuel perceptions.

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

I’m sure that the market is big enough for both manufacturers’ versions. I think the problem would come when both firms did every member of the class in every available livery and that’s not likely. I notice that there is a car headlamp fitted example in the first tranche from Bachmann. If it’s blue, with or without the white stripe I’ll have one. I already have two on order from Accurascale (one will be renumberd). If however it’s in large logo or grey I won’t get one. Likewise with Accurascale 051, I want an 051 but not in grey. My point is there are so many variables out there and we all have our own particular wish list. Also noted that the centre head code variants with cut away cowels all have a high intensity headlight so to late for me. However I’m happy to wait for either manufacturer to release the ones I want. There are so many options for both camps to tackle and enough of us weak walleted modellers to snap up our favourite beasts as and when and by whoever produces them. 
Exciting times……

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Well how wonderful - there are clearly centre headcode WR versions to come so I shall be hoping for both as built green versions (syp), and early blue fye (with Ds on the numbers), pre TOPS!!

Im certainly impressed by these models - good to see free market capitalism is still extant - of course we haven’t been privy to televised film of either Bachmann or Accurascale going off like ballistic missiles regarding competitors, unlike individuals from the Margate organisation doing so (Terrier and others) - I’m sure without that a certain percentage of the vitriol aimed at them would not have occurred (although the Titfield and dealer allocations may have done). 

Anyway it’s clear this class 37 upgrade (Bachmann) has been in the works for quite a while. 

im very impressed with what I’ve seen. 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Bachmann must be laying in wait for my cash. Cardiff Canton & Cwmbran .

My thoughts as well but as I generally run sound on dcc these days that's £700.

I had another look at my Vi 37 422. Not that bad and running well (£49.99 in 2007). Maybe I'll just go for Cwmbran??

• Like 1