Is it time for a collectors club?

20 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

Paying an annual fee for the privilege of buying models at full list RRP doesn’t tick any boxes for me. I’m not a fan of printed glossy brochures either, more happy with online info.

I like your current business model. Don’t change what’s not broken 

Neither Bachmann or Hornby's club magazines are in any way "glossy brochures", so I assume you've not looked at them. Both are well-presented magazines full of interesting content.

Personally, I always enjoyed the very informative @Islesy articles in the Hornby Collector mag, and can image that an Accurascale version would be just as enjoyable.

(Disclosure: I write for the HCC Club mag, but it's still a really high-quality publiction.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

They could always do an ACC visit to their offices in Dublin,… now who would turn down a trip to Temple Bar ?

(That said it needs to be in the off season, given the current hotel prices).

An Accurascale “seconds” event would be nice too .. if they have any.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t see the point.

I was in the Bachmann one on and off - the main reason being I thought a ltd edition may come along that I liked. But with such a range I’d left before that happened 

I have done the same, joined the Bachman CC twice - but only to get old of a CC exclusive model. Yes the quarterly CC magazine was nicely put together, but I didn't feel worth continuing with membership when the renewal was due.

I also joined the Hornby CC for a year for exactly the same reason.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Simple question - what is the purpose of a collectors' club?  Is it to secure discounts - A/S do that anyway.  Is it to secure a bit more off than ordinary discounts - A/S do that anyway.  Is it to get special editions - A/S do that anyway and you don't need to be a 'club member' to buy them.  Is it to get additional information about what is coming along and to talk about it - A/S do that already via the 'net and RMweb.  Is it to get a glossy brochure 'free of charge' - A/S have already done that once (it really was free, no club membership fee to get it) and presumably might well do so again in the future.  is it to get 'privileged access' to their stand at shows - we all get that sort of access anyway.

So why - exactly do they need to waste time and money (which would otherwise be spent on developing new models such as a WR version of the EEType 3) to duplicate things they already do?

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Simple question - what is the purpose of a collectors' club?  Is it to secure discounts - A/S do that anyway.  Is it to secure a bit more off than ordinary discounts - A/S do that anyway.  Is it to get special editions - A/S do that anyway and you don't need to be a 'club member' to buy them.  Is it to get additional information about what is coming along and to talk about it - A/S do that already via the 'net and RMweb.  Is it to get a glossy brochure 'free of charge' - A/S have already done that once (it really was free, no club membership fee to get it) and presumably might well do so again in the future.  is it to get 'privileged access' to their stand at shows - we all get that sort of access anyway.

So why - exactly do they need to waste time and money (which would otherwise be spent on developing new models such as a WR version of the EEType 3) to duplicate things they already do?

Nah Mike..

its because everyone wants to hang out with Fran and the cool boys.

Its not a club they need but an Accura-Pub…  with a perfect pint, with temperature, texture and bubbles perfectly researched into every glass.

It might be interesting PR though to invite everyone to a random location as a day out  with a mystery unknown real prototype, and release a new model there.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Like Tenerife in January...........

Or an old one like Elle,Naomi or Linda

Ooooh… So near but so far…

How about Clandestino bar North of Valencia, by the coast, and a bi mode made across the street ?

https://goo.gl/maps/CSjJz4Qhf73ZLFeY7

Off topic but…

but Adif (Spanish rail construction company), just bought 22 “rescue” locos from Stadler for over 100 mn Euro.

so what ?

Well they are not Euro light stadlers, they are UK light spec, which means they are built to UK loading gauge, and 100 million is a lot of money to spend on standby rescue engines… aside of the standard Stadler cab, they are otherwise known as class 68’s to you and me.

https://railcolornews.com/category/stadler-rail/stadler-rail-uklight-ukdual/stadler-rail-uklight-adif/

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Nah Mike..

its because everyone wants to hang out with Fran and the cool boys.

Its not a club they need but an Accura-Pub…  with a perfect pint, with temperature, texture and bubbles perfectly researched into every glass.

It might be interesting PR though to invite everyone to a random location as a day out  with a mystery unknown real prototype, and release a new model there.

The RMweb day at Didcot on 14 Aug would seem to be an excellent opportunity although clearly a far more important location than 'random' might suggest.  I'm sure if any of Accurscale's UK residents were able to make the journey they would be welcome to join us and I am aware that certain persons from 'over the water' also know the way to Didcot.

• Agree 1

Personally I think that A/S have enough on their hands.  Not sure really that it would achieve anything either...... They already engage exceptionally well with their customers, they already do Accurascale Exclusives that anyone can purchase, so apart from perhaps a badge, Christmas Card and a Calendar what would be the benefit.  On the A/S side it's something that Fran and McC would have to put considerable time into to ensure it met Accurascales ethics and ethos even if they employed an editor.  So would it really be worth it?  Plus there is club administration etc.. 

Think it would be pretty pointless, and something they don't need to do to follow the other big players, nor do they need the glossy properganda. 

• Like 1

I don't know why people are saying the Collectors Club magazines are just glossy propaganda. It's a bit patronising to the members and writers IMO.

Must never have even seen a copy as the Bachmann magazine in particular is probably better than most published magazines and is on good quality paper unlike the chip shop wrapping most magazines now use.

What other magazines have regular articles on wagons and carriages? Very few. Last issue of BT had an article on Conflats full of decent photographs useful to actual modellers and this issue has an article on Nuclear Flask wagons, as well as articles on DBSOs, Class 14s and ScotRail. As well as recently having a long running series on Private Owner Wagons.

I would actually buy Bachmann Times if it was a regular magazine available in the shops.

Jason

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'm sure if any of Accurscale's UK residents were able to make the journey they would be welcome to join us

Well, this particular one will be deep in the heart of NER country Mike, but I hope you all have a grand day out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want exclusive, perhaps IRM could do a RTR Lartigue loco?   

... and the track, and some of the coaches too.

The heritage version is a must-see if visiting Co. Kerry.

https://www.monorails.org/tMspages/Listowel.html

There is a 3D printed N-scale version (!) available from Shapeways, which can be made to work using a somewhat unorthodox method of propulsion.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2022 at 20:19, AndrewB7585 said:

All that’s missing is a pin badge nobody ever would wear

You're missing out, the ladies love them

On 04/08/2022 at 19:27, McC said:

How would you see it working and what would be the value add?

I expect that the value would be added at your end (if like the other clubs) rather than ours. I don't think they are doing it for the laugh, it must bring more money in somehow.

I do sub to both the Hornby and Bachmann CCs

Hornby is worth it for the combination of discount with guarantee of supply, and they do get some reasonable exclusives. Don't care about the included loco though.

Bachmann I like the magazine, catalogue, exclusives are generally very good. I have a few models and would have more if I could afford them. Included wagon is too old in era for me but I understand why it's not really practical to substitute a £10 wagon for a modern image one.

I like them, but I wouldn't be that bothered about AS doing one.

On 04/08/2022 at 21:46, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Agreed,but apart from the Deltic,the 30 and 31,the 37,the 92 and the Manors,the Mk1,the Mk2 and the Mk5,s   what have Accurascale ever..................

Erm.  don't forget all the transition era wagons that we have had to bully Accurascale to do for us.  Then there are the siphons !!! I don't do the modern air brake stuff so some other folk but have been twisting arms behind backs.

Just crack on with the 21T hoppers both as built and rebodied (HTO and HTV) and the ex LMS iron ore hoppers.  Oh and the Coil T, and forget about clubs !!!!   

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 07/08/2022 at 12:45, adb968008 said:

Now you're talking!

On 07/08/2022 at 13:02, adb968008 said:

aside of the standard Stadler cab, they are otherwise known as class 68’s to you and me.

Pretty much, although there looks to be some different gear on the roof top in the centre of the loco.

I saw in an article that the 1.1m diameter wheel is "new". Erm, not quite!