Is it time for a collectors club?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Craig1989 said:

Could do what Bachmann do and do a magazine with how far they are on projects and quarterly announcements. And for the first limited edition model how about the giraffe coach dc, dcc or dcc sound 

cheers Craig 

It would be nice if we could just have the updates quarterly, instead of the constant stream of updates and open engagement we get.

Also preferably no listening to customers, we should just get what we’re given 🙂

to the giraffe, I inherited a broken one from an uncle, so that’s nostalgia right there 🙂

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

4 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

It would be nice if we could just have the updates quarterly, instead of the constant stream of updates and open engagement we get.

Whilst I know you're being sarcastic, some people would probably prefer something on paper every quarter that they can refer to etc., not everyone spends a lot of time online reading stuff. They know that they get the update in that magazine rather than via email.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TomScrut said:

Whilst I know you're being sarcastic, some people would probably prefer something on paper every quarter that they can refer to etc., not everyone spends a lot of time online reading stuff. They know that they get the update in that magazine rather than via email.

A lot can change in a quarter :) 

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Not denying that, and I keep up with my emails etc on here.

I am just thinking that part of the market probably aren't that connected.

We have produced a (beautiful) printed catalogue for our last major show and our goal, as our range grows expansively over the coming months and years to produce a six-monthly updated free printed catalogue and ‘review’ which will be free to order on the website and available from our wonderful retail partners likewise. 

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Craig1989 said:

Could do what Bachmann do and do a magazine with how far they are on projects and quarterly announcements. And for the first limited edition model how about the giraffe coach dc, dcc or dcc sound 

cheers Craig 

12 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Also preferably no listening to customers, we should just get what we’re given 🙂

Really not fussed how it comes. We all seems to visit RMweb for news, and Andy Y and Accurascale keep us well updated here. I have tried for years to keep my collection of "dead tree" print to a minimum and have never really bothered with catalogues.  I understand catalogues are very important to some folk, and I respect that, but find they can be out of date before they leave the printers sometimes.   

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I sold almost all my old catalogues a good while back so I wonder how much Accurascale ones might fetch in decades to come?😄😇

You sold them ?

i used mine as ripped up scrunched up packaging in stuff ive sold off.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Balgrayhill said:

How about a Modellers Club rather than a Collectors Club?

Is that exclusive for the employees ?

Perhaps they should set up a Collectors Committee…

Spend months debating and recommending a prototype and a livery, by the time there was consensus, AS would have it ready to deliver having guessed the result on day 1.

The added bonus of the committee was the time saving of distractions taking from their day job.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Definitely not.  Why pay £30+ per year to possibly buy a exclusive model at what would be RRP, there for paying £60-80+ more than you would normally.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Definitely not.  Why pay £30+ per year to possibly buy a exclusive model at what would be RRP, there for paying £60-80+ more than you would normally.

Not only that, the exclusive model would need to be one which ran in my area of South Staffs and North Worcs between around 1957 and 1970 , and which I haven't already got. 

That narrows it down massively to LNWR 2-4-2t, Midland 2F 0-6-0, LNWR 0-6-0 and for indulgence a "Flatiron" 0-6-4t in BR black.  Maybe consider an "Austin 7" too, but almost certainly a brace of GSYP disc ed class 40s.    

Just not going to happen is it - but I still have hopes of the 21T HTO and HTV in the Building Britain theme. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Just not going to happen is it - but I still have hopes of the 21T HTO and HTV in the Building Britain theme. 

1 minute ago, andythenorth said:

Not just me then 🙂

Oh no. Far more widespread than the HUO, the "standard" 21 tonner is a huge part of UK freight from the late 1950s to the mid 1980s, but not just for coal. I remember stone trains from Coton Hill yard (Shrewsbury) formed of 21 tonners hauled by class 47s - destination Ardingly so googled it and found this site.

Ardingly Station (Closed) (including the Hanson Plant) - Derek-Hayward (derekhayward.co.uk)  

The majority of the site is piccies of 59s and modern air braked hoppers and the station area, but there are five piccies in the middle of the site of 21 tonners, including an LNE "high handbrake" E260654. 

Ardingly, 9.08.1970. Looking away from station towards Copyhold Junction E-L.jpg (800×533) (smugmug.com)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Hornby's CC models tend to be less than main range RRPs IIRC.

It's not just about the exclusives though. If you combine the quarterly magazine subscription, the loco/wagon (if you care about them) and the catalogue in the case of Bachmann then it's probably not a million miles away in isolation.

The question is, would the exclusives exist if wasn't for the club?

In the case of Bachmann I suspect not, I think it's a mechanism to gain margin (by selling direct) to pay for items that are a bit more obscure.

On the other hand Hornby do their direct sale exclusives anyway which have nothing to do with a club so I expect the answer there is different (although the exclusives may be at usual RRP unlike the club ones).

Likewise Accurascale have exclusive models and so unless doing a club would make something viable where it otherwise wouldn't, what's the point in terms of exclusive models?

Whilst i think in principle, a good idea i would say that we already have access to about as much as these guys at AS are allowed to give us. As a relatively fledgling company the logistics of setting up a customer base (that they clearly already have) and offering members special rates, is actually already there!

the additional expense in maintaining this with extra staff, wages, production and editorial costs of a quarterly mag and such like, then eats into profit and results in prices possibly going up (which is probably on the horizon already). 

Why not keep things just as they are and allow us all to play a part in forming the structure and direction of AS at a level where we and AS all get input but might just not want to become or even want a Collectors club. 

just my thoughts. 

Edited by Krieghoff
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• AY Mod locked this topic