Railway & Modelling Obituaries

RIP HM Queen Elizabeth ll

rogerdee

I watched (most of) the Westminster service before heading for the station to catch the 12:12 to Staines, and watched the procession on my phone on the train (as did a lot of other people). The original plan was just to walk the half mile or so to the Staines bypass to watch the hearse go by then return home. However with a Windsor train 6 minutes away, I opted instead to buy a ticket to Windsor and see what was going on up there.

On the approach to Sunnymede, we were advised that the train would be held there for "six minutes" owing to a procession. After considerably more than 6 minutes, I decided to try to make my own way on foot and found a footpath that crossed the line a little further up (the train still hadn't left at this point) and joined the road to Datchet, which I reached just in time to see the Royal Rolls-Royces pass through (I suspect this was the procession that the train at Sunnymede was waiting for). Then back down the road towards Old Windsor and passed the farm shop just in time to see the coaches full of VIPs turning in.

More walking down to Old Windsor roundabout, where I saw the hearse come past - and yes, seeing the crown jewels on top of the coffin in person makes it much more real.

Left there with tears in my eyes and walked back to Egham via the Queen's statue at Runnymede.

(RTT shows the train on time leaving Sunnymede and arriving at Datchet but 40 mins late leaving there - this is incorrect).

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Very impressed by the Royal Naval element. Army guardsmen normally get it spot-on: After all, they get to practice a lot more! A very sad day here; even small (royal) children get caught up in the occasion. Explaining to inquisitive children that 'Granny has passed away' is a real kicker, regardless of whom, or where you are.

RiP, Ma'am. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

I too was glued to the TV all day.

So was I, John, in a way - BBC World from 1700 to 0200 local time (how did I sit in the same chair for 9 hours?).

Highlights, if that's the right word, for me were the choral music with and without organ accompaniment; the precision, gentleness and strength of the bearer party; and the finality of Garter King of Arms announcing first the late Queen's styles and titles followed by those of the King.

• Like 11