Railway & Modelling Obituaries

RIP HM Queen Elizabeth ll

rogerdee

Apparently, according to Ms Truss, we are now entering another Carolean Age. I wonder why, when the first King Charles' reign was known as the Carolinian Age, and only the Charles II reign was Carolean. Both derive from the Latin for Charles. Anyone know?

As a mild Republican, I do accept the enormous contribution Elizabeth II made to the world, and, at first impression, Charles may well exceed our expectations. I am very sad for their loss, and for those of the population that also feel that loss. But, at the same time, I do wonder quite why - is it the continuity (as well as the enormous devotion to duty and the constitution)?  I do not, under any circumstances, deride this grief, and I totally respect it. But please, do not force me to join in, even at the cost of membership of this esteemed club.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

I remember being at the village "Silver Jubilee" celebrations as a kid.

There was a big long line of slightly mismatched tables and chairs, with posh cloths, full of delicious 1977 goodies for hungry kids. (Yes, and Curly-Wurly's too!)

These tables were very well tended - as if the grown-ups actually owned them....

Later, games and competitions, on the "back-Lawn" (think village green), where we were all winners and received goodies, and the (I think), a 25p commemorative coin. (Of course, All the bad boys spent them straight away...)

Kev.

(Must look for my commemorative coin, or was it a 50p?!)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we all knew it was only matter of time I'm truly saddened by the passing of my former boss.

I have that numb feeling like a member of our family is no longer with us.

So I shall have a glass of port tonight.

Certa Cito

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, CovDriver said:

I think we all knew it was only matter of time I'm truly saddened by the passing of my former boss.

I have that numb feeling like a member of our family is no longer with us.

So I shall have a glass of port tonight.

Certa Cito

Definitely with you on that… raised a toast in port with my ex army brother earlier this evening. The new bottle isn’t quite so new now.

• Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, Mike Storey said:

Apparently, according to Ms Truss, we are now entering another Carolean Age. I wonder why, when the first King Charles' reign was known as the Carolinian Age, and only the Charles II reign was Carolean. Both derive from the Latin for Charles. Anyone know?

Probably because the Carolinian Age ended with the execution of Charles I. We don't want to dwell on that unhappy event today! 

41 minutes ago, SHMD said:

and the (I think), a 25p commemorative coin. (Of course, All the bad boys spent them straight away...)

Kev.

(Must look for my commemorative coin, or was it a 50p?!)

It was a Crown, nominal value 5 shillings or 25p.  One side has an image of the Queen on horseback.  Here's what you're looking for:

SJC.jpg.1582f60ecc8eee612a6075effe660e4e.jpg

My parents bought us children a commemorative crown each, whenever they were issued.  My first was one from 1960, I suppose when Andrew was born, then there was the Churchill one and so forth.  I've still got all mine!

Crowns nowadays seem to have been inflated to a fiver each, I don't think I'll be getting a Coronation crown, if indeed any are issued!

Edited by Hroth
Example
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Probably because the Carolinian Age ended with the execution of Charles I. We don't want to dwell on that unhappy event today! 

It was a Crown, nominal value 5 shillings or 25p.  One side has an image of the Queen on horseback.

My parents bought us children a commemorative crown each, when they were issued.  My first was one from 1960, I suppose when Andrew was born, then there was the Churchill one and so forth.  I've still got all mine!

Crowns nowadays seem to have been inflated to a fiver each, I don't think I'll be getting a Coronation crown, if indeed any are issued!

Silly me, I remember half a crown translating as 12.5p!

thanks, Kev.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• AY Mod changed the title to RIP HM Queen Elizabeth ll
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

It was a Crown, nominal value 5 shillings or 25p.

This reminds me, I saw that a pub somewhere, I think in Manchester, was selling pints for 6p each because it cost sixpence when Elizabeth ascended the throne... my first thought was that they're cheating, since 6d is half a shilling which is 2.5p...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

So many precious memories being shared, thank you.

I was born in her Silver Jubilee year so she was very well practised by this time. The closest I got to meeting her was at the Great St Johns Ambulance party in Hyde park who knows how many years ago. Missed her by a few feet but did make it onto the TV. 

She always seemed so permanent - been there from before I was born, always doing engagements and so on. Of course in recent years she became frail but never gave up, never stopped serving. She will be the monarch that all future monarchs will be measured up to - Charles you have a tough job ahead of you. 

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Struggling to find adequate words to impart the sadness I feel at the passing of Her gracious Majesty. Constant in her devotion to the duty placed on her by fate and always there for us as a nation. R.I.P. Queen Elizabeth II. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just been watching the broadcast of the Accession Council and Proclaimation at St James's Palace, in so many ways an event reaching back centuries into British history.

Amazing stuff.

Same here.  Amidst the sadness of the passing of Queen Elizabeth II there is also an excitement at the Proclamation of a new King.

I was born in Coronation year so until I get used to it, the name "King Charles III" feels like a quote from school history books.

God Save the King.

Edited by Colin_McLeod
typo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been away on holiday in Pembrokeshire until today so I've followed events periodically. I'm pleased by the tone and depth of comment here but felt I should share this picture of my Friday beverage - purely accidental but completely inappropriate...the Tower beckons I'm sure...

52346081009_1e0343e134_z.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I've been away on holiday in Pembrokeshire until today so I've followed events periodically. I'm pleased by the tone and depth of comment here but felt I should share this picture of my Friday beverage - purely accidental but completely inappropriate...the Tower beckons I'm sure...

Or excommunication from RMweb! 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I have been surprised by how much the death of Queen Elizabeth has affected me. My support for the institution is based more on a feeling that a political President would be worse but I had immense respect for the Queen based on her impeccable sense of duty and dignity and the way she provided a foundation of constancy for 70 years. I was born in 1970, so the Queen is all I ever knew in terms of our head of state, and I think because of that I just assumed she'd always be there (as silly as that sounds). Her death has really shaken me, as I have realized just how much affection and respect I had for her, and also it is like losing a fixed point of reference in public life, no matter how embarrassing things got with our political leaders the Queen was always. RIP, I for one will miss her and remember what she did for our country.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Now we have a new monarch, I have today found out two pieces of information that I didn't know.

The E11R I have belatedly discovered means that refers to the Queen being the 2nd Elizabeth. I have seen the '11's before, but hadn't realised their meaning.

I also found out that the 'R' used to mean Regina, but now it means Rex.

I did my schooling in England, Scotland and Australia and I don't remember doing any Latin whatsoever. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Long Live the King!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

That gentleman had a very different kind of monarch, and for that matter, monarchy, to deal with.

Had he not done so, it is likely that others would have eventually been forced to do so, perhaps without its abolition later proving to be temporary....

Equally, had certain events of the 1930s been handled differently, the UK could well have become a republic before our late queen could succeed to the throne.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Something I found really rather uplifting is that several of my friends who are chest thumping class warriors and stalwarts of the future revolutionary junta have been very respectful and in several cases suggested that people might want to park the politics for the next week or so to allow people to mourn the loss of a much loved monarch when they see some of the posturing on social media.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Now we have a new monarch, I have today found out two pieces of information that I didn't know.

The E11R I have belatedly discovered means that refers to the Queen being the 2nd Elizabeth. I have seen the '11's before, but hadn't realised their meaning.

I also found out that the 'R' used to mean Regina, but now it means Rex.

I did my schooling in England, Scotland and Australia and I don't remember doing any Latin whatsoever. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Long Live the King!

Technically of course she was the first Queen Elizabeth of Scotland, the first only ruling over England with Mary being Queen of Scots.  It's also why the crown on Scottish Royal Mail cyphers was different.  Does anyone know if post boxes north of the border had the full EiiR cypher or not?

I too haven't seen any nasty or point scoring posts on social media despite having some politically very republican friends.  It's been there in other areas, but people genuinely do seem to respect that this isn't just the passing of the Queen but also the passing of an individual who was a constant and well loved figure by many, as well as a mother, grandmother and great grandmother who through her birth carried those family activities out under constant public scrutiny, which I think even those of a more republican frame of mind can nevertheless appreciate and have sympathy towards.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Does anyone know if post boxes north of the border had the full EiiR cypher or not?

I understand that in Scotland the EIIR cipher caused ill feeling and was changed to ER early in the reign after a number of pillar boxes were vandalised.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I unfortunately have seen a fair bit of awfulness on social media, but then shrillest is the minority who is in the wrong. And of course our proximity here to the uncouthness of the US rubs off as well, and have seen plenty of disparaging commentary from Canadian republicans too. But they are a shrill minority, too.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9