Railway & Modelling Obituaries

RIP HM Queen Elizabeth ll

rogerdee

Watching bits of the coverage of the cortege through Scotland.  As it passed Dundee, a long view from the helicopter showed the Tay and crossing it, the second Tay bridge!

(too far away to see the stumps of the first bridge...)

45 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Whilst many have been reminiscing about meetings with the Queen over the last few days I often wondered what it must have been like for the Monarch to meet so many of her subjects and just what an impression they made upon her.

Or as I heard on Radio 4 the other day, she's going to meet her 15th prime minister today but is far too discreet to say oh no, not another one.  It amused me but I'm not sure that's quite the impartiality the BBC is supposed to have.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Watching bits of the coverage of the cortege through Scotland.  As it passed Dundee, a long view from the helicopter showed the Tay and crossing it, the second Tay bridge!

(too far away to see the stumps of the first bridge...)

I liked the bit where local farmers provided a guard of honour.

20220911_171930.jpg.a857042432cea6a9e89528873a684746.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve found myself strangely moved , especially when we saw her leave Balmoral for the last time , you just felt a pang to the heart .   So glad my fellow Scots have turned out in force to watch the cortège go past and say good bye 

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I'm old enough to now be living in the reign of the third monarch in my lifetime although I can remember virtually nothing about the previous King or his death apart from some people saying something about getting used to talking about the Queen instead of the King.  First element of that change that really made an impact was watching the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on tv, amd that afternoon a fancy dress parade and competition for us children in the village where we staying at my grandparents, and a slap up tea in the village hall.

I was lucky enough to be presented to the Queen,  on the Royal Train as it headed from Paddington to Cardiff,  and to sit there - with several other people from the WR - having morning coffee with HM and Prince Phillip (and scared stiff I might spill the coffee from my cup).  So quite a long chat with us and all very relaxed and causing me to develop even greater respect for HM because of the way she spoke to us and listened to us.    Then back to the coach where we were travelling.  But we also got lunch - between Cardiff and Bristol on the next leg of the tour and we had the same menu as HM which meant roast lamb - apparently one of her favourite dishes.

Where's the jealous icon?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2022 at 01:20, Phil Bullock said:

Yes a plane seems like the plan. A real shame…

Indeed, but how about the final journey from London to Windsor?  Train from Waterloo to Windsor and Eton Riverside.  Windsor and Eton central would be better, but is the single platform big enough?  The Royal Train with Britannia ate the head, and a diesel at the back.  Surely security could be managed for that relatively short run.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Martino said:

Indeed, but how about the final journey from London to Windsor?  Train from Waterloo to Windsor and Eton Riverside.  Windsor and Eton central would be better, but is the single platform big enough?  The Royal Train with Britannia ate the head, and a diesel at the back.  Surely security could be managed for that relatively short run.

Certainly better than nothing. I really think this is an opportunity missed.

• Agree 1

On 11/09/2022 at 23:55, The Stationmaster said:

I'm old enough to now be living in the reign of the third monarch in my lifetime although I can remember virtually nothing about the previous King or his death apart from some people saying something about getting used to talking about the Queen instead of the King.  First element of that change that really made an impact was watching the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II on tv, amd that afternoon a fancy dress parade and competition for us children in the village where we staying at my grandparents, and a slap up tea in the village hall.

I don't remember the late King George VI, I was only two when he died, though my mother often used to talk of how upset she was when "the old king" died (George V).  A lot of people talked about getting a telly to watch the Queen's coronation, or watching it at a neighbour's house or shop window.  At the time we lived in an isolated cottage in the New Forest with few mains services so we wouldn't have had a set, though I think we did have the electric light. 

My father was then working for the Forestry Commission.  He said the office (King's House in Lyndhurst) was renamed for Her Majesty, but that when young Prince Charles becomes king, they should change it back.  I don't know whether they have, though I believe they're still in the same building. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2022 at 23:55, The Stationmaster said:

I'm old enough to now be living in the reign of the third monarch in my lifetime

Likewise. I can't remember much, but I can remember the Daily Mirror "masthead" in black instead of red at the death of the King and next year at the Queen's  Coronation it had a Gold one, on one of the days.

We also watched the Coronation on our brand new 14" Ferguson TV, which cost an absolute fortune. I think dad must've done loads of overtime!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that.

FlightRafdar24 have a live stream running too.

I just looked and it was approaching my house! So I rang my 14 yr old son to run outside and look up.

Both he and my wife saw it.

Here's a screen grab moments after.

image.png.89a89f1daa2d81017421592ca82621ea.png

Again, thanks so much.

Kev.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, SHMD said:

FlightRafdar24 have a live stream running too.

I've actually been following it on the site.

Just as it left Edinburgh the site went down but came back shortly after with a message and a wait to get back on, it wasn't long before it was up and running.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Noticed it passed just west of silloth, hope @BR traction instructor had good visibility today

Also went just east of Crewe, missed it unfortunately, not that I’d see much but would have been nice to know it was nearby (didn’t see the path on Flightradar24 until it was about to touch down)

Edited by big jim

30 minutes ago, big jim said:

Noticed it passed just west of silloth, hope @BR traction instructor had good visibility today

Also went just east of Crewe, missed it unfortunately, not that I’d see much but would have been nice to know it was nearby (didn’t see the path on Flightradar24 until it was about to touch down)

…boringly I was underneath the lodge cutting out bricks/inserting air bricks Jim.

BeRTIe

I know there's been some criticism of the decision to fly the coffin south, rather than use the Royal Train, but watching the coverage of the motorcade, seeing people stopped on a major dual carriageway, and seeing people throwing flowers despite being asked not to, does rather suggest the decision to use air might have been sadly the correct one.  

An extraordinary, sad day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

I know there's been some criticism of the decision to fly the coffin south, rather than use the Royal Train, but watching the coverage of the motorcade, seeing people stopped on a major dual carriageway, and seeing people throwing flowers despite being asked not to, does rather suggest the decision to use air might have been sadly the correct one.  

An extraordinary, sad day.

I too thought that rail should have been used with 70000 as suggested motive power given her links with The Queens father. You may well be right …

70000 was main line today…. Here she is piloted by 45231 which is wearing a suitable wreath…

45231/70000 video

• Like 1