Railway & Modelling Obituaries

RIP HM Queen Elizabeth ll

rogerdee

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

I too thought that rail should have been used with 70000 as suggested motive power given her links with The Queens father. You may well be right …

70000 was main line today…. Here she is piloted by 45231 which is wearing a suitable wreath…

45231/70000 video

Why not 46201?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

I know there's been some criticism of the decision to fly the coffin south, rather than use the Royal Train, but watching the coverage of the motorcade, seeing people stopped on a major dual carriageway, and seeing people throwing flowers despite being asked not to, does rather suggest the decision to use air might have been sadly the correct one.  

An extraordinary, sad day.

Much as it would have been both appropriate and splendid (with members of the armed services on each station platform as previously discussed elsewhere) I can completely understand why it would have been virtually impossible to manage....

Chris H

• Agree 3

On 11/09/2022 at 12:30, Michael Hodgson said:

The security services will have their work cut out at the State Funeral, as no doubt numerous Heads of State will attend.  These infrequent major events can be more constructive than summits in international diplomacy, since the only positive expectation at a funeral is warm words, yet they do provide an opportunity for world leaders at loggerheads to meet discreetly and investigate whether there is any prospect of future reconciliation.

"You can't arrange the seating in the Abbey in alphabetical order. You'd have Iran, Iraq, Israel and Jordan all in the same pew! That would be enough to start World War Three!" - Bernard Woolley

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

"You can't arrange the seating in the Abbey in alphabetical order. You'd have Iran, Iraq, Israel and Jordan all in the same pew! That would be enough to start World War Three!" - Bernard Woolley

Why not? Make them behave.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Last Wednesday I took a picture  of some cloud formations from the living room. Look at the cloud shape that is closest to the roof on the right. A sad omen taken the day before.

R.I.P

7076174F-A9E2-4C01-9B02-03F34D73C4F6.jpeg

Edited by Mark
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

On the Swiss lines from Brigg there is a rock near a tunnel entrance called Victoria's rock as it is said to resemble the profile of Queen Victoria.

Re the cloud formation:- Queen Elizabeth II was of course a committed Christian so maybe God was gently calling his faithful servant home.

Edited by simonmcp
Clarity
  • Like 3

Woke up during the early hours this morning and on a whim, I put the telly on and watched the BBC live stream of Westminster Hall on the red button for a few minutes.  A very poignant scene, with people silently filing past the coffin, pausing a moment to pay their respects in so many different ways and then moving on.

All this around 3am.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

On 13/09/2022 at 20:12, didcot said:

Just been watching the procession from Northolt to Buckingham Palace. 

The amount of people lining the route was amazing. Might have shed a tear. Makes you feel very proud. 

I was one of them. It passed a few hundred yards from my house and though I wouldn't have queued for hours for the lying in state was glad to have had that opportunity to pay my last respects. I had the Union Jack I'd waved several times as she passed a firend's house on Derby Day. 

Unfortunately, though most of those along the route behaved entirely sensibly, I'm afraid the behaviour of a few  who ran across to the central reservation of the A40 and the number of officers needed to police even the relatively short route from Northolt makes me agree with others that the decision to not use the royal train was the correct one.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Spotted today at Woori Yallock station site, on the closed line to Warburton.

Unfortunately whoever put this here, didn't laminate it, but just put it in a plastic sleeve.

Edit to add.

When you see things like this you realise just how long QE2 was Queen. That was a couple of years before I was born.

QE11 Woori Yallock.jpg

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

5 minutes later its now £24,000........

3 hours ago, big jim said:

What was it, can’t see the listing any more 

See attached screenshot.

I find it bizarre that eBay has decided to take a stand against these armbands when it otherwise permits all manner of supposedly commemorative drivel/tat/rubbish to be advertised on the website.

There are many hundreds if not thousands of mugs, plates, towels etc and all manner of other nonsense being advertised that supposedly "commemorate" her death and which are blatant profiteering, yet seemingly that is somehow more acceptable.

Perhaps because the aforementioned tat hasn't had a social media reaction it's therefore ok?

Screenshot (31).jpg

• Agree 3

Just watched the last people straggle down the steps of Westminster Hall to pass the catafalque. A strange muted end to the river of mourners over the past four days.

Now for the events and ceremonies of today.

May she rest in peace.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

See attached screenshot.

I find it bizarre that eBay has decided to take a stand against these armbands when it otherwise permits all manner of supposedly commemorative drivel/tat/rubbish to be advertised on the website.

There are many hundreds if not thousands of mugs, plates, towels etc and all manner of other nonsense being advertised that supposedly "commemorate" her death and which are blatant profiteering, yet seemingly that is somehow more acceptable.

Perhaps because the aforementioned tat hasn't had a social media reaction it's therefore ok?

Screenshot (31).jpg

I think the issue was that some of the armbands being sold were unused ones - i.e. they were allowing people to pay to jump the queue.

• Informative/Useful 1