N Gauge Class 44 - with 45 & 46 to follow...

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold

I had a little chat with Dan on the Rapido stand at the NGS event at the weekend about time scale for the 44.  The response was centred around a need to get the chassis right in the sense that the project becomes most viable when an identical chassis is used for all three classes.  This means that although the 44 doesn't necessarily have the same features as the 45 and/or 46, the chassis for the 44 needs to, by design, have these features available. 

It was also suggested that the chassis will be more like Rapido North America's chassis engineering-wise.  This should mean that reliability is improved from the 28 design.  I personally am encouraged by this.  The Rapido North America locomotives are the strongest and most reliable of all my N gauge locomotives.

Best

Scott

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some of you may have seen these in the latest newsletter, but for those who haven't signed up (yet), here is a coloured render of the Class 44 in progress. We are working on the 45 and 46 variations to ensure the motor and drivetrain works under all the body variants, hope to have more updates soon...

948001_1a.png.b0d2ae4014eb49e3915183b2d87797f7.png

948001_2a.png.6b8e6a9148a26d6f07734c5e65054e1b.png

• Like 12

Whilst at the Buxton show watching a Co-Bo navigate Tuemill Junction we got to talking about the pipework on the Co end fouling on some curves because there was too much give in the bogies.

Can we make sure the 44 doesn't suffer a similar fate please.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RapidoCorbs said:

Some of you may have seen these in the latest newsletter, but for those who haven't signed up (yet), here is a coloured render of the Class 44 in progress. We are working on the 45 and 46 variations to ensure the motor and drivetrain works under all the body variants, hope to have more updates soon...

948001_1a.png.b0d2ae4014eb49e3915183b2d87797f7.png

948001_2a.png.6b8e6a9148a26d6f07734c5e65054e1b.png

Appreciate the update. Thank you.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Whilst at the Buxton show watching a Co-Bo navigate Tuemill Junction we got to talking about the pipework on the Co end fouling on some curves because there was too much give in the bogies.

Can we make sure the 44 doesn't suffer a similar fate please.

As far as I know the chassis design of the Peak is rather different to the Co-Bo.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

D2 helvellyn (sye) with dcc sound pre-ordered along with 4407.dcc, with a possibility of green full yellow ends if funds allow,plenty of time to get the funds together tho. Just sold a lot of my br green locos and rolling stock in the summer and swapped it for sub sector but it keeps dragging me back. 😭

Class 44 D2 "Helvellyn" BR Green With Small Yellow Panel (DCC Sound) Ordered 😉

Let me know when you want me to pre-empt your media releases in future with a cheeky question

7 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Well you didn't have too long to wait....

😇

My enduring memory of Peaks is looking back down the platform at Luton through clouds of steam on a cold winter morning with the train wheezing and creaking before the right away. Oh and a cab ride on D2 from Leicester to St. Pancras. It was like riding on a steam roller.

Choosing just one on rule 1 will not be easy.

• Like 1

My memory of the peaks is seeing them hauling express trains out of Euston, the first one that I saw was, appropriately, D1 Scafell Pike.

I have placed an order for this one of course.

The 45s and 46s hold little interest for me.

Excited - very excited about the announcement of producing pre-TOPS 45s and 46s. The class 44 isn't really on  my list but I am certainly supporting this and will order a "951005" ie, no 6, Whernside in green FY. Well done Rapido..roll on the 45s soon after...😛

Richard.

• Like 2

Can I direct people to @TomE's site https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/rapido-trains-n-gauge-class-44-now-available-to-pre-order

Here you will find some images of the nose ends Rapido have rendered for the 45s and 46s - and there is a split box version.

I kinda like the split box Peaks so I guess I have at least two Rapido Peaks to purchase over the coming years.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Can I direct people to @TomE's site https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/rapido-trains-n-gauge-class-44-now-available-to-pre-order

Here you will find some images of the nose ends Rapido have rendered for the 45s and 46s - and there is a split box version.

I kinda like the split box Peaks so I guess I have at least two Rapido Peaks to purchase over the coming years.

Tantalising stuff. I’d also like a split box version - preferably named and with pre TOPS numbers in BR blue, plus an end of service 45/1 with an unofficial Tinsley name. Can’t wait actually!

Edited by Cowley 47521
Too many likes, which I didn’t like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

We want your opinions!
Our design for the BR Class 44 in N Gauge originally had wire cab handrails (left side), which are thin and give shadow underneath, but are not the correct profile for a Class 44.
We have drawn up an alternative using moulded plastic handrails of the correct shape (right side), but due to manufacturing tolerances they need to be slightly over scale. It does create the correct gaps under the ends and some relief along the main vertical portion.
Of course these renders are much larger than the real model.
What do you think works better? Please leave a comment below.

Class44-Handrail-test-1.jpg.cacfb71e9fb1648a85131aace83cc240.jpg

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for wire - I'm sure if someone was inclined they could replace the wire version with a suitable home-made alternative more to profile.

• Like 1