N Gauge Class 44 - with 45 & 46 to follow...

rapidoandy

Fantastic announcement. I've long wanted a 45 to represent 1980s Trans-Pennine services, but I know an original 44 will also prove irresistible. I can see at least one each of the 44, 45 and 46 in my future!

Well done to Rapido for recognising this gap in N gauge and doing something about it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Kris said:

Bachmann have let another one slip. I wonder if they will fight back?

They may have one in development already for all we know. If not, that’s another bit of their market being nibbled away…

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Kris said:

Bachmann have let another one slip. I wonder if they will fight back?

I think we all thought they had them in development and that they would be announced at any of the last 4 quarterly announcements - but nothing.

Rapido say they have been working on the CAD for about a month so it is early days in the development process, still time for Farish show their hand.  However, perhaps Rapido have gone with the 44 because they know there is nothing coming from Farish imminently - it's not like the market is the size of OO.  The only other thing could be that Farish are about to drop something at the other end - class 45 and 46s with marker lights so Rapido have gone back to the source with a 44 and the battle will be in the middle.

Whatever, when the order book opens I will sign up for whatever is available at the time.

Wish Rapido well with this project, although not of the 2mm persuasion. 

Fantastic locos and very much underrated by more junior folk.  I had the unofficial pleasure of driving one on a heavy freight many many years ago, and already a fan of them, that trip cemented my aweness of the design, particularly the Crompton Parkinson tankllike electricals.  990 tons was a mere walk in the park for such a beast.  

Wish you and your team well Rapidoandy

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Having bought a boat load of Farish 37s this Summer .... life's about to get expensive again as I do love a nice Peak, both to walk on and ride behind, I'll be in for several of these in their different guises. Good luck with the project, an excellent choice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good choice of prototype and I wish you well with the project.  

Granted the CAD is WIP but do have a careful look at the body profile, which seems a little slab sided in the render.  The shoulder should begin just above the main rainstrip, so the very top of the door is curved and the cabside window just cuts into the profile (a very subtle version of what happens on an EE cab).  I believe this facet caused a certain amount of unrest on the Heljan thread, so is worth some care.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I find the logic of doing the 44 first and moving on to the others only if it sells well totally baffling. There were only 10 44s and they were restricted for most of their lives to freight work on the ex-Midland. The 45s and 46s were much more numerous and widespread.

I have no need for a 44 but would definitely be interested in a 46, as there were quite a few based at my local depot (Gateshead). The days when I might purchase a loco to encourage others to be developed — given current economic conditions — have gone, I'm afraid. If you don't make a 46, hopefully Farish will. If not, I can get my existing Farish 46, currently laid up with split gears, repaired if needed.

I just do not see how sales of a model of a class of ten locos can determine what the sales would be for the remaining 183—you might as well use the sales of the class 28 as a guide!

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Maybe we will see more interest in N now it is so difficult to find mainstream diesels especially not already done well. N gauge dropped off in popularity after a big surge in popularity a few years ago, maybe it's time for another blast of wind in the sails.

The Peaks are one of my favourite locomotives so this would be a no brainer for me if I was modelling British N.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I find the logic of doing the 44 first and moving on to the others only if it sells well totally baffling. There were only 10 44s and they were restricted for most of their lives to freight work on the ex-Midland. The 45s and 46s were much more numerous and widespread.

I suspect it is easier to use the 44 CAD as a basis to develop to the 45 and 46 than the other way around.  Also the 44 doesn't have the multitude of variants the other two have, so they can concentrate on getting them spot on without distraction.

Also, in my experience almost anyone who wants Peaks can justify to themselves the odd 44 in the mix "just because".

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

It’s all possible - let’s see how the 44 goes first..

Great, thank you ! Having D1 first with several others of her class is perfect. That's how they arrived in full scale, that's how I saw them introduced.

Actually, I'm only interested in the 44s, the rest were off on the Midland, so I never saw them.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Good choice of prototype and I wish you well with the project.  

Granted the CAD is WIP but do have a careful look at the body profile, which seems a little slab sided in the render.  The shoulder should begin just above the main rainstrip, so the very top of the door is curved and the cabside window just cuts into the profile (a very subtle version of what happens on an EE cab).  I believe this facet caused a certain amount of unrest on the Heljan thread, so is worth some care.

It's subtle but as you say one of those things that if not quite right has a knock on effect on front windscreen shape etc too (Wikimedia commons Quackdave image):

BR_Class_44_Peak_diesel_locomotive_D8.jp

Great to hear we'll be getting a new N gauge Peak! Looking forward to the 45s.

Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

We only started work on this project a month or so ago and we’re delighted with how well it’s progressing.

That seems really early to announce a project. Not sure whether it'll bring excitement or disappointment due to long waiting time. Enough people have experienced waiting for years for a Bachmann or Hornby or Hattons product to arrive.

19 hours ago, Padishar Creel said:

Was leaked in FB yesterday.

Perhaps this is the reason why? (Though I never saw the leak)

20 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

But our first release will be the head of the family, the Class 44. If these sell well then we will move on to the class 45 and 46 in further production runs.

Given the sheer difference in class size (10 vs 127 vs 56), this is an interesting statement. I hope all three classes come to fruition.

• Agree 1