New Dapol HST liveries announced!

Will39048

Dapol's next batch of HST liveries have been announced:

Reruns:

BR blue/grey (254012)

Intercity swallow (43120 and 039)

Virgin red & black (43080 buffers and 091)

Grand Central (43480 and 468)

Arriva cross country (43285 and 321)

New Liveries:

Midland Mainline (43066 and 077)

Midland Pullman full 11 car set (power car numbers not known yet)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hmmm. I already have the Virgin version (extended with extra coaches). It's a nice enough looking model but I had to tweak the copper pickups so that it could reliably reverse. I call it Miss Behaviour for a reason although on my new layout it shouldn't ever need to reverse. The new livery sounds nice but 11 cars would be too many. I only have space for six.

20220208_124247.jpg.9d43c5f96ce8217c010aeb8fc34c214d.jpg

Miss Behaviour pulling out of Wheel Slip Corner on my old layout.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

That's not the Virgin livery Dapol have announced.

Yeah, you're right. I'd forgotten I have the EMR livery. It's been a while since I got her out of her box as my new layout is still under construction.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

When I first heard about their Blue Pullman I just presumed that they were going to apply a repaint on their existing model, but it looks like they are actually going to retool the power car to add the headlight! You can see some pics on the N Gauge News website.

https://www.ngaugenews.com/post/the-international-n-gauge-show-2022-roundup

I wonder if they will try to represent the catering coaches in a realistic way

es grüßt

pc 

• RMweb Premium

Great to see the Midland Pullman HST being done, but two observations;

1) it appears disproportionately expensive; any other 2+9 Dapol HST rake comes in at £431 or £433, depending upon whether it is a power car twin-pack plus coaches, or standard bookset plus coaches…. so what’s the extra £60+ for….?! Sure they’ve tooled the cab-top headlight, which is a nice touch, but with the current financial pinch, I think I’d rather have payed £60 less for a nearly accurate model…. 🤪 Unless they’ve also tooled for correct catering vehicles, in which case the argument for it being more expensive starts to make more sense.

2) I’m not sure everybody wants an 11 vehicle set - sure, some of us have space, but lots of people might not be able to accommodate nine coaches…. so all those people are now paying a premium for a load of extra coaches they don’t want/need…. so I presume this has been done so that Dapol and retailers are not left with random spare coaches in hand…. but if that is the business rationale, it seems odd that in the same release HST release cycle we’re seeing standard booksets but also power car twin-packs…. certainly some of those seem to be so that these can mop-up the surplus GC and XC coaches that appear plentiful and still kicking about….

I can never second guess Dapol’s decision making….!

• 1 month later...

Further news regarding the midland mainline livery book set. The power cars will use the same body shell tooling as the East Midlands Trains examples. Meaning they will have the revised light clusters as fitted soon after acquiring the MML livery. There will also be a full set of MK3s produced to make a 2+8 set:

43066 "Nottingham Playhouse"
TGS - 44027
TS - 42194, 42225, 42227, 42229
TRFK 40729
TF - 41067, 41112

1 hour ago, Will39048 said:

Further news regarding the midland mainline livery book set. The power cars will use the same body shell tooling as the East Midlands Trains examples. Meaning they will have the revised light clusters as fitted soon after acquiring the MML livery. There will also be a full set of MK3s produced to make a 2+8 set:

43066 "Nottingham Playhouse"
TGS - 44027
TS - 42194, 42225, 42227, 42229
TRFK 40729
TF - 41067, 41112

That's a slight shame. The livery really working well with the clear light clusters. The black strip on the new light clusters looked a bit out of place to my eyes on an otherwise vibrant hst livery

Now they've tooled for the Brush cooler group on the Blue Pullman power cars, I'm wondering if it'll be used on the Cross Country and Grand Central models? It'd be a shame if they don't, especially as the roof of models is so often seen.

Jo

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Will39048 said:

I hope Dapol tool the RA set with outer end couplings!

They have the buffer fitted version in the tooling suite, although I don't think it has the correct cooler group for the RA locos so likely to be a compromise there. 

Tom.  

They have now done the tooling for the updated cooler so hopefully that will be used. What I was referring to is that RailAdventure use the power cars back to back and they couple to wagons from the cab ends. Without adding a coupling, I can't see how they can be used. Maybe something like what they did on the DVT would be a good solution?

IMG20221202103630.jpg.79230f8dcdff39806b52ea43c0c5c671.jpgIMG20221202103653.jpg.ecb1c3cdbfe0aec1ee63a078db8625c4.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Ah, I'm with you now. Yes, It'll be interesting to see what they do about that, if anything, as the current models have no means for accommodating a coupling at the pointy end!

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

2D-019-013 HST Blue/Grey Bookset and 2D-019-014 HST Intercity Swallow Bookset are now available.

Although there was not time to completely rework the Swallow livery, we have been been able to modify the colour palette with a much better Falcon Grey. I had to bring one home with me from Chirk yesterday...

Providing the feedback on the colours are positive (I like it but very biased), this palette will be used on all future Swallow-liveried releases, including the loco-hauled Mk3s, DVT, 86 and 87.

SwallowHST.jpg.560da20d09df6d8115988e76289dd8aa.jpg

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Adam1701D said:

2D-019-013 HST Blue/Grey Bookset and 2D-019-014 HST Intercity Swallow Bookset are now available.

Although there was not time to completely rework the Swallow livery, we have been been able to modify the colour palette with a much better Falcon Grey. I had to bring one home with me from Chirk yesterday...

Providing the feedback on the colours are positive (I like it but very biased), this palette will be used on all future Swallow-liveried releases, including the loco-hauled Mk3s, DVT, 86 and 87.

SwallowHST.jpg.560da20d09df6d8115988e76289dd8aa.jpg

looks great, but why was there no provision for a speaker?

On 31/08/2023 at 23:32, Adam1701D said:

It is very reassuring to know you are at Dapol and are committed to improving the accuracy of their liveries. I really hope the future loco-hauled MK3s include another run of sleepers in InterCity  livery. There was no way I was spending a penny on the first run with all the issues they had, but I will certainly pick up both sleepers and regular loco-hauled MK3s when another run is done, knowing the livery should be accurate.

• Like 1

Great to see improvements in the colour palette. The MK3 Swallow DVTs were way off in multiple ways, so good to hear an improved run will happen.

I will note that the Blue/Grey coaches still have the incorrect font for "Inter-City 125" - this has always been the case (apart from the buffet car, which is the correct font. It's a shame to see this not being corrected, especially as I've seen it's been noted in the past.

IMG_7533_2872276d-9f63-4613-b6f3-45b9ea7bd0a5_1728x.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Sorry - did not have time to do the full works on these HSTs. The Swallow version has the new colour palette but the Blue / Grey set was a straight rerun / renumber.

The next batch of Mark 3s, due in Q1/2 2024 will have the correct British Rail Dark Typeface.

• Like 1