Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Which Models would you wish from RevolutioN Trains?

Stefen1988

On 13/03/2024 at 01:20, jackrob said:

Surely the 455's must be considered...

53583416473_6995447d82_z.jpg

BR Today! by Ian Docwra, on Flickr

Especially after this ^ ;)

The 455 would allow a 317 as well.

There are a few "families" which allow multiple versions. Maybe the 304/305/308 and 504 classes would have a chance, many areas covered and that across 3 decades.

As always if there is demand, it would make sense

es grüßt

pc 

8 hours ago, lego legs said:

I'd order two or three in NSE, plus any in Connex or Southern. That would be my number 1 model if it existed. 

I echo this sentiment. I grew up using these units. I'd buy multiple 455's in all the subclasses in Southern (pre refurbishment & post), Connex, SWT (old colour scheme + new) and probably NSE too. 

After the forthcoming Electrostar this would be the holy grail for me.  FIngers crossed for the future eh

1 minute ago, njee20 said:

Nah, 442 would be more useful! 😁

That too! Or any London suburban slam-door stock. Class 411, 421, 423 or 205 Thumpers etc

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Littlethorpe said:

Maybe they could consider the N Gauge Garratt that Hattons started & then canned?

Hi there,

As we have said often, steam is rather outside our comfort zone.  When we do offer a first steam locomotive it is likely to be something relatively simple so we can use it as a learning process.  Jumping straight in with something like the Garratt is not on the cards.

Besides, if Hattons, having gone to the trouble and expense of launching it, found that it was unsustainable could we do better?  Their reach was signficantly higher than ours!

cheers

Ben A. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

54 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

As we have said often, steam is rather outside our comfort zone.  When we do offer a first steam locomotive it is likely to be something relatively simple so we can use it as a learning process.

Pity Rapido have beaten you to it by announcing a Fireless then !

Some of the Sentinels are perhaps the simplest steam to model, basically a diesel-like body on a motor bogie.

• Like 1

On 13/03/2024 at 00:20, jackrob said:

Surely the 455's must be considered...

53583416473_6995447d82_z.jpg

BR Today! by Ian Docwra, on Flickr

Especially after this ^ ;)

I would be in for an original "Bedpan" 317 in OO as they worked briefly out of Euston.  

I could see a case for the 455 and 317 in both N and OO even with the additional cost of tooling up the pantograph and trailer composite vehicles over a straight 455, and minor detail differences.  The 455 is an obvious candidate having a long life and many attractive liveries, and with the stabiliser rail becoming more popular there are a number of contemporaneous units from other manufacturers which would help sales, but the 317 could also make sense with them having moved around the greater London fleets, and I think they ran on London Overground routes for a while, which could give a nice opportunity for a London Transport Museum dealer exclusive.  

With experience of tooling up for the "Mk3" based units with the 320-1-2 sets (and thanks for giving in to the nagging from us OO gauge modellers to announce the model in OO!) I imagine you'd have some ideas as to the kind of work needed to bring a 455/317 to market.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

As we have said often, steam is rather outside our comfort zone.  When we do offer a first steam locomotive it is likely to be something relatively simple so we can use it as a learning process.  Jumping straight in with something like the Garratt is not on the cards.

Besides, if Hattons, having gone to the trouble and expense of launching it, found that it was unsustainable could we do better?  Their reach was signficantly higher than ours!

cheers

Ben A. 

Hi Ben

Looking at the rather splendid Vale of Rheidol loco you are progressing in 009 I think you are doing yourselves an injustice in terms of what you might achieve. That said I think there are a number of issues with the choice of the Garratt in N. I asked Harttons at one if the shows that they attended why the Garratt? The only reason given was because it did well in OO. In truth they didn't really promote it that actively either compared to their OO models and I don't think it really stood a chance. I am encouraged that you would even consider a steam loco and would personally suggest an 0-6-0 tender one or similar as an initial model to have room to accommodate innovations that RevolutioN prides itself on like DCC sound. Which one? Well I am sure there are many suggestions but for me the long lived and numerous LNER J26/J27.

Roy

14 hours ago, Littlethorpe said:

G2 or LMS 2P would be a good starting point as the Union Mills models are no longer available. Neither have outside valve gear. The Garratt might appeal more to Rapido.

Yes, they would both be good choices, the G2 had a very long life and one preserved. The other loco ripe for the picking now UM have ceased production is the LNER B12/3 - another loco with inside cylinders so no complex valve-gear, and again one preserved on the North Norfolk Railway, a stalwart in the Hornby range for many years as an affordable express passenger loco.

I can’t help thinking the Class 185 DMU in both 00 & N gauges would suit Revolution perfectly. Only two main liveries, which you seem to prefer than offering multiple versions. It complements your N gauge Mk5 TPE sets, Pendolinos and forthcoming 175’s and 180’s in various locations across the North.

Requests for the 185 crop up very frequently (see Accurascale’s new model request thread). Accurascale (rather bizarrely,) have discounted tooling them, as the potential transfer to Ireland for re-gauging didn’t happen.

I think the biggest obstacle to them being produced seems to be the ‘Chinese Whispers’ that another manufacturer is already working on them! 

This seems to be the case with various multiple units at the moment - Electrostars, Class 120’s, 313/314/315’s, 153’s all have rumours floating about (as did the 320/321’s for seemingly ages, before Revolution took the plunge and announced an 00 version).

So how about it Revolution? 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I think the  Class 185 is a great shout and a real 'missing link' from the current modelling scene. They might not have many liveries, but cover a huge geographical range and will be around for many years to come.

I'd certainly have one and probably two as they look great in both liveries.

Cheers

Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Davison
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Yeah I could get behind the idea of a Class 185. I could retire my whiny and 700mph (scale speed) class 121.

• Like 2