Accurascale Goes Bananas! SR D1478 and D1479 Diagram Banana Vans in OO/4mm

• RMweb Gold
On 10/03/2024 at 10:35, Robin Brasher said:

I bought a set of three as I am modelling the Swanage Railway and I wanted to make sure that the Co-op did not run out of bananas. 

I should think that most people would just want one banana van so it would be in Accurascale's interest to sell them individually as well.

From what I saw of Banana vans in my youth, they customarily ran in train-loads or part train-loads from the docks to ripening warehouses that also functioned as wholesale distribution centres. In my case, that meant Fyffes at Exeter Central, though I think they also had a smaller Depot at Barnstaple.

AIUI, retailers were normally supplied from these centres by road rather than single rail vans continuing on to smaller goods yards or down branch lines.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Accurascale

Are ordersS still being despatched please? I haven't had any notification,

Brian

Hi Brian,

We are still dispatching orders (Mark 2b, Banana vans and warwells all arrived together, so it's taken a huge effort to get them all out!) but hope to have everything away by COB tomorrow. If you havent heard anything by then please drop sales@accurascale.com an email and we will look into it for you.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Brian,

We are still dispatching orders (Mark 2b, Banana vans and warwells all arrived together, so it's taken a huge effort to get them all out!) but hope to have everything away by COB tomorrow. If you havent heard anything by then please drop sales@accurascale.com an email and we will look into it for you.

Cheers!

Fran 

Quick note to say how wonderful the whole packaging thing was/is. Almost all the materials reusable and Paper Tape on the Main Box, with Bubble packaging fully recyclable. Superb thanks.

Phi

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Fran

A kind soul at HQ sent me a text to say that I had ordered another item on the same order but that they had now 'split it away' so that my Bananas can be despatched. (A Banana Split?🙂)

I guess I 'cancelled' with Hattons and 're-ordered' with you - hence a slight delay as I no doubt went down the queue.

I have received the TMC Specials and they are just lovely! 

Many thanks Fran and all the Team at HQ!

Brian

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

Got my early SR vans this morning - yippee!

I would like some additional 'Fyffes' labels for them and I am sure I saw someone did them. For the life of my cannot remember or find where I saw them.

Anyone got any idea (where I might source some from) please?

Edited by Opelsi
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Got my early SR vans this morning - yippee!

I would like some additional 'Fyffes' labels for them and I am sure I saw someone did them. For the life of my cannot remember or find where I saw them.

Anyone got any idea (where I might source some from) please?

Hollar Models - now marketed by Wizard Models.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

AIUI, retailers were normally supplied from these centres by road rather than single rail vans continuing on to smaller goods yards or down branch lines.

The change varied according to location and importer, but up to the early 1960s (very roughly) BR delivered to each destination separately, as instructed by the importers, whether in train loads or in a single van. In 1961 bananas started to be imported in boxes instead on the stem, initially as an experiment, but this quickly became the normal method. At about the same time ripening methods started to change, and the importers started to close warehouses in favour of larger establishments with onward distribution by road, a process which eventually killed off rail traffic completely.

So far as I know there was never rail distribution to central warehouses with subsequent further distribution by rail. Once bananas start to ripen the process cannot be slowed down, and the fruit is very vulnerable to damage, so delay in arrival at the final destination and additional handling were to be avoided.

Edited by Cwmtwrch
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Hollar Models - now marketed by Wizard Models.

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/hr702/ Note that the orange border is incorrect and should be removed. Fyffes labels sometimes appear in photographs with a slightly irregular yellow border, but that just means that it was placed on top of a Geest label [which was slightly larger], as far as I know.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

CAREFUL with those labels as they seem to be 7mm scale ones ...... a wee bit too big for an Accurascale van - though 4mm ones are probably available too.

Oops, apologies all. 4mm ones certainly were available, but Wizard don't seem to have them listed?

• Thanks 1

My six post 1961 vans arrived a few days ago, and I finally got around to posing them on the layout.

20240315_111908.jpg.c496a3bf1a89ec459672b30d0ce6a77c.jpg

20240315_111930.jpg.5854fa9591960d654a1b043e8d72aa24.jpg

20240315_112011.jpg.2f8d44e55602b3e278f345c9e863ca5c.jpg

I have one query, which may have been answered somewhere back in this topic, but I can't find it if it has: What are the little black "boxes" in the accessories pack? I haven't been able to identify them in the exploded diagrams, although I may be being thick. They are in the packs for both D.1478 and D.1479.

20240315_112943_circled.jpg.e5d71b91632d440894e06ff5fbeb6e1e.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SRman said:

What are the little black "boxes" in the accessories pack?

They are adapters to allow the use of long pronged tension locks and Kadees @SRman

We have used a shorter NEM pocket, with a correspondingly shorter tension lock prong, to reduce the distance between vehicles, but this would mean that if you were to replace the tension locks with ‘other’ makes’ TLs, or Kadees, they would be too loose. The adapters negate this and to fit them, simply:

- Remove existing short tension lock
- Slip adapter collar over prongs on Kadee, with the rebate end outermost
- Attach to NEM pocket

There should be a quick demo video on the website shortly to show this better.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Islesy said:

They are adapters to allow the use of long pronged tension locks and Kadees @SRman

We have used a shorter NEM pocket, with a correspondingly shorter tension lock prong, to reduce the distance between vehicles, but this would mean that if you were to replace the tension locks with ‘other’ makes’ TLs, or Kadees, they would be too loose. The adapters negate this and to fit them, simply:

- Remove existing short tension lock
- Slip adapter collar over prongs on Kadee, with the rebate end outermost
- Attach to NEM pocket

There should be a quick demo video on the website shortly to show this better.

Best wishes,

Paul

Or simply shorten the prongs and glue the couplers into the reduced pockets to minimise the gap.

I sometimes cut pockets back to achieve this but hope to be able to ditch the NEM gubbins altogether and fit proper Kadees (#146) to mine.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2024 at 16:38, Clive Mark said:

I don't know if anyone has raised the issue of removing the wheels yet from this outstanding product but I have just been advised by Accurascale that the brake gear will come apart though it needs great care. The rodding for the clasp brakes cuts across underneath the axles so has to be moved to enable wheel change for EM etc.

20240308_150119.jpg

20240308_150142.jpg

20240308_150144.jpg

With my vans now on the high seas/even higher sky en route to me, Spanish duties now paid!, I've been doing a bit of research.

Based on the 2 provisos that a), I haven't read all the thread, (slapped wrists), and b), I'm no expert on SR brakegear variations, assuming there are supposed to be full brake yokes not just a connecting bar between the brakeshoes, are there no brake yoke safety loops on this mechanism, or are they in the accessory packet?

Mike.

• Like 1

Well, my vans don't seem to have reached the Forest of Dean yet - so you're doing well ! 

Yes, I think the matter of safety loops has been raised before ...... there weren't any !  :  the crossbeams ( which should be an elongated lozenge shape ) had a safety chain at each end connected to somewhere behind the solebar.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

My two packs were imported over the border from Kernow and delivered this morning via the good offices of the Royal Mail. Just as I had to go out...

Upon my return:

First impression: Stunning.

Second impression: Lovely black wheels with profiled centres, even more stunning.

Overall impression, on a scale of one-to-ten: eleven! 😃

Can we have a Southern loco to follow them up, please, pretty please!

John

PS: Just noticed the beautifully proportioned buffers are sprung!

Edited by Dunsignalling
PS
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 15/03/2024 at 07:14, Dunsignalling said:

Or simply shorten the prongs and glue the couplers into the reduced pockets to minimise the gap.

I sometimes cut pockets back to achieve this but hope to be able to ditch the NEM gubbins altogether and fit proper Kadees (#146) to mine.

John

Quick coupler update: fitting my preferred #146 Kadees looks like a lot of work with a high risk of collateral damage to the lovely brake gear, so have ruled out an attempt. 

I've therefore offered up various options for NEM Kadees, and I'll be gluing in #18s with the prongs shortened to clear the brake gear.

If using the pocket extender, it looks like the shortest NEM Kadee, the #17 will be the natural choice.

Note that if requiring to push wagons round No.2 radius curves/crossovers, you'll probably need to go up a length in both cases.  

I'll also be advising my pal, for whom I usually fit Sprat & Winkles to wagons, that if he gets any of these, he'll be on his own! 🙃

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello Accurascale and everyone

John (above) rated the vehicles at 11 out of ten - I second that emotion!🙂

From the excellent packaging - a 'work of art' in its own right! - to the vehicles themselves, it is clear that an immense amount of work has been input. 

My banana train is now up and running.

Well done all at HQ!👍

Brian

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

ATM I’m attempting to order .I cannot complete access to the website as it is blocked by “I’m Not A Robot” . Could you please investigate this interference ?

Are you sure you're not a robot? :)

Joking aside, thats something on the shopify platform Side - so I'd recommend trying a difference device or web browser?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, McC said:

Joking aside, thats something on the shopify platform Side - so I'd recommend trying a difference device or web browser?

Something to keep an eye on as I was just blocked by that.  Fortunately I was only trying to check my points balance and got through on a repeat attempt anyway😎

On 15/03/2024 at 11:03, Wickham Green too said:

Well, my vans don't seem to have reached the Forest of Dean yet - so you're doing well ! 

Yes, I think the matter of safety loops has been raised before ...... there weren't any !  :  the crossbeams ( which should be an elongated lozenge shape ) had a safety chain at each end connected to somewhere behind the solebar.

Now seem to have reached the Forest of Dean, hooray !