RMweb

SWAG'23. RMweb Members Day.

NHY 581

Another superb event. Well done to @NHY 581 & everyone else involved. Some great layouts and modelling on show - as is seemingly always the case with SWAG day. Great to meet up with so many old pals. The pasties were top-notch, as ever.

Sorry to hear you've been unwell @Captain Kernow - thanks for posting that video. Hopefully, the layout will be at next years event.... really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. And get well again ASAP old chum :)

Thanks to @Barry Ten for the lift. (Following a very late night gig on Saturday, I'd have been in no fit state to drive). Great to finally meet up with @bcnPetetoo, after years of messages & posts 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I just say a big thank you to everybody that posted photos of both the layouts and the goings on. For those of us no longer able to get to gatherings of any kind it does make you feel as if you are joining in and not so remote from everything. Looks like a great selection of inspiring layouts were present as well which is a real bonus.

Bob

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

indeed, as Jerry has said. an excellent day. The bonus was to be able to acquire some of Ricey's stuff as a memento. Many thanks to Rob for organizing it all. I still have vivid memories of early starts with CK back in the day!

Thanks also to Godfrey for running the bring'n'buy and for selling some Bill Bedford etches for me.

Also many thanks to Graham Muz and the kitchen staff for providing a sterling pasty/pie service with the addition of delicious forbidden confectionaries...... well, they were for me!

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, queensquare said:

As others have said, an excellent day. Not much I can add to what others have said other than a big thank you. If 2mm is required I shall be back agin next year.

cheers Jerry

I'm disappointed I couldn't get along to the SWAG do yesterday, but the domestic authorities snaffled my time, but I'm happy to bring along an N Gauge Layout next year as I'm now the proud owner of Mr Farmers fabulous Farmers Drove. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/118299-farmers-drove-late-70s-in-the-fens/page/9/#comment-5127931

Regards

Neal.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Great day out, HUGE thanks to all involved. The variety and quality of the layouts would put many larger exhibitions to shame. I came away rather sad that we have to wait a year until the next one! How many sleeps is that???

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

First time we have make the long trek up from the far west for a while but well worth the effort and I can only agree with all the other comments and to thank all those involved in the organisation and running of a great day. A chance to meet some old friends and to put faces to names so familiar on line, for me the lemon drizzle cake was particularly good and I even came home with some of Mudmagnets lovely 3D models. When's the next one?

Rob

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

A terrific day - possibly the best ever.

I still have some shortbread to munch through as I check my photos.

Thanks everyone!

Very sorry to have missed it but circumstances dictated I was more urgently required elsewhere.  Elsewhere did at least allow the enjoyment of a couple of trips aboard old London buses which event happened to be in the direct line of travel to and from supporting a friend at her time of loss.  

When next year's date is announced I shall place it in the diary with a very firm request that no-one inconveniently passes away or makes other claims upon my time!  

And Porthgarrow should be ready to show too.  It's very much "in progress" now but is due to be seen in just nine weeks time locally.  Nothing like a deadline to get things moving!!!  

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2023 at 16:57, Mark Forrest said:

For some reason I can't seem to get rid of the above blank quote 🙄.

Regarding SWAG I got there just after opening and didn't leave until closing time but would have gladly stayed another 5 hours. It was so good I would have come back for a second day if it was a two day show. Great selection of layouts (missing a certain Sheep Bloke's layout though). It was lovely to see all the people who I have 'gotten to know ' online and to see the layouts in the flesh. I had a long chat to some lovely people over refreshments and in the show. I think I managed not to run over anybody's toes in my wheelchair (it was only the 4th time out in it so I should have had L plates on really) and everybody was extremely helpful. 

I am eagerly looking forward to next year's SWAG and if I can extract a digit may even get a micro layout constructed for possible inclusion.

Simon 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

For some reason I can't seem to get rid of the above blank quote 🙄.

Regarding SWAG I got there just after opening and didn't leave until closing time but would have gladly stayed another 5 hours. It was so good I would have come back for a second day if it was a two day show. Great selection of layouts (missing a certain Sheep Bloke's layout though). It was lovely to see all the people who I have 'gotten to know ' online and to see the layouts in the flesh. I had a long chat to some lovely people over refreshments and in the show. I think I managed not to run over anybody's toes in my wheelchair (it was only the 4th time out in it so I should have had L plates on really) and everybody was extremely helpful. 

I am eagerly looking forward to next year's SWAG and if I can extract a digit may even get a micro layout constructed for possible inclusion.

Simon 

Really good to meet and talk to you Simon.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

We both had a great time yesterday and learnt a lot about the layout in the process.😮

It was good to put faces to names (and vice versa!), didn't spend anywhere near as long enough looking around as I should have - never mind, I shall come back next year.

A very big thank you to Sheepbloke and his team for organising the day, it was the first time I had taken a layout to a show since about 1987 and it couldn't have been a better place to do it! 👍

Hope you all got home safe.

Team Trowland

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Another +1 to say a big thanks to Rob and the SWAG team for hosting a great event.

Pasty and a slice of cheesecake - wot's not to like. Quality layouts and trade too and in a nice informal atmosphere.

Listened to the footie on the drive home to London too and caught that shocking rain on the M4 - not ideal for trying to conserve battery life on an EV!

So good to finally put faces to names, some after 15 years speaking on RMWeb 😳 as well as seeing familiar faces. My first time at SWAG and looking forward to returning next year but with a layout...subject to Rob's confirmation.

Thank you all - well worth the 320 mile round trip 👍

Pete

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bcnPete said:

Another +1 to say a big thanks to Rob and the SWAG team for hosting a great event.

Pasty and a slice of cheesecake - wot's not to like. Quality layouts and trade too and in a nice informal atmosphere.

Listened to the footie on the drive home to London too and caught that shocking rain on the M4 - not ideal for trying to conserve battery life on an EV!

So good to finally put faces to names, some after 15 years speaking on RMWeb 😳 as well as seeing familiar faces. My first time at SWAG and looking forward to returning next year but with a layout...subject to Rob's confirmation.

Thank you all - well worth the 320 mile round trip 👍

Pete

Was great to see you Pete, Kyle for next year would be perfect - we could have a 2mm corner - we don’t take up much space! 😊

Jerry

• Like 9
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

A terrific day - possibly the best ever.

I still have some shortbread to munch through as I check my photos.

Thanks everyone!

We can do mail order on the shortbread if you run out......

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, rcf said:

First time we have make the long trek up from the far west for a while but well worth the effort and I can only agree with all the other comments and to thank all those involved in the organisation and running of a great day. A chance to meet some old friends and to put faces to names so familiar on line, for me the lemon drizzle cake was particularly good and I even came home with some of Mudmagnets lovely 3D models. When's the next one?

Rob

I'm sure there will be no problem with supplying Lemon drizzle cake again next year - I'll ask Her Ladyship nicely!

Jon T

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rob R said:

We can do mail order on the shortbread if you run out......

I was caught snaffling extra short bread at close of play for the drive home - it was excellent - I did put my pennies in the pot! 😊

Jerry

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I will of course confirm in due course but if all goes well, it will be Sunday 21st April. 

Ahem..................I thought, as I typed that this morning, I heard the faint but unmistakable flap of Lord Cack's leathery wings above me. 

Yep, Staplegrove Village Hall is already booked on Sunday 21st April 2024........but not for SWAG. 

So, sadly no go. 

Bristol will probably be the week after. 

Unconfirmed but NewGOG in Newport ( ! ) may well be the week before but hopefully on the Saturday only. Lord and Butler will, if this proves to be the case will be at NewGOG as may myself as I await confirmation that one of the layouts is required ( they do have layouts other than 7mm) 

The game is therefore ahoof..........

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Bristol will probably be the week after. 

It's normally Mayday bank hol weekend which will be Fri to Sun 3/4/5 May 2024.

HTH!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Late to the game, but adding thanks to Rob and all involved. Great to catch up and talk to Mark Forrest and Spams, Rivercider; also bcnpete after all the years of messages here 😀 If I didn't have such a mad schedule I would easily have spent all day; sadly I had to run and miss out on the pasties 🫤

Thanks also to Chris H (Gilbert) for the coupling discussions and 'side hustle' wagon purchases (including a suitable sales tax for SWAG funds)

Looking forward to next year already!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 23/04/2023 at 03:50, Mallard60022 said:

Once again it would have been so nice to have actually made it down. One day?

Me too!

On 23/04/2023 at 05:33, 2ManySpams said:

Still toasting your good health and swift recovery CK...

IMG_20230422_202715.jpg.3f8243c8408d986dbfe3c50401199f07.jpg

One for each hand?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3